Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pi No Boot - Kernel panic - not syncing: No working init found

Flight attendant

Pi No Boot - Kernel panic - not syncing: No working init found

My Pi froze or stuck in the middle of the night last night.

When I was able to investigate, I found the Pi stuck with the above message.

Did my SD card corrupt?

This build has only been running since June 20th. If the SD card corrupted this fast what can I do to prevent this from happening again? This setup is pretty time consuming and complex and I do not look forward to repeating it over and over if I can avoid it.

IMG_3767.jpg

Thanks.

Captain
    What image were you using?

Anyway good point in time to just use a fresh Buster Liter image.
    Setup shouldn't take too long.
    No need to compile dump1090-mutability any more by the way, you can just install 1.15 with apt install now. (in case that was taking long)

Haven't heard too many complaints about sd-cards being corrupted so it doesn't seem too often.
    But happening that soon after you installed it points to a problem either with your software or your hardware.

Maybe just get a new sd-card if you suspect it could be the culprit.
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-07-03 at 04:37.

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by wiedehopf View Post
    What image were you using?

Anyway good point in time to just use a fresh Buster Liter image.
    Setup shouldn't take too long.
    No need to compile dump1090-mutability any more by the way, you can just install 1.15 with apt install now. (in case that was taking long)

Haven't heard too many complaints about sd-cards being corrupted so it doesn't seem too often.
    But happening that soon after you installed it points to a problem either with your software or your hardware.

Maybe just get a new sd-card if you suspect it could be the culprit.
    I was using a full Raspbian Stretch image with dump1090-mutability.

I had started following "Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs" like I had before but was getting really strange results this time as it was going through some of the install process. I'll have to try again tonight after work.

Captain
    Re-download the Raspbian image: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

The new system is Buster.

I'd personally recommend my graphs instead of the adsb-receive project:
    https://github.com/wiedehopf/graphs1090#graphs1090

Also i've made a script that can be run once fr24feed is installed, it will install dump1090-fa and configure fr24feed to play nice with it.
    (just make sure you configure the feed key when installing fr24feed with their script)
    https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...for-dump1090fa

It includes the map from mutability as well as the normal dump1090-fa interface.

The other data feeders you'll have to install by hand, but most are just debian packages that need to be downloaded and installed.
    (everything is configured for beast - tcp with host = localhost and port = 30005)

Whichever way you choose, good luck with the installation.

As i said what you experienced shouldn't happen, maybe just get yourself a new sd-card for 8$?
    https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Micro.../dp/B06XWN9Q99

You could when you have everything running, make an image of your working sd-card and write it to the other sd-card.
    (or keep the image file on the hard drive, you might want to make sure not to expand the raspberry file system to the entire sd-card when doing this as the backup will grow considerably depending on card capacity)

That way if you have a problem you can just pop in the other card.
    https://thepihut.com/blogs/raspberry...ry-pis-sd-card

Flight attendant
    @glen4cindy,

from my own experience. Please use the suggested steps by wiedehopf. It is working perfectly. Since I used his scripts my system is running smoothly.
    Suc6

Captain
    I've run the receiver project myself (only installed the graphs with it) and it ran perfectly fine as well

It's a very nice tool, just not updated very often and a little bloated.

Flight attendant
    you are too modest. It is really great . Abcs567 used the install and uninstall scripts and agreed that they were great.
    Last edited by Dutchyb; 2019-07-05 at 14:01.

Thanks for the script - I instaled buster and addad fr24. Great work! Had a little trouble getting the pi to find wifi, but I think it was adding a 'sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant-wlan0.conf' file that finally did it ..

When looking at the dump1090-map, there is however no lovation marked and no rings. I can see my location is correct on the Statistic site, and when I do 'reset map' it sends me to Italy .. (I'm near Atlanta) Did I miss something?

Captain
    You'll have to configure the location manually.

I've added the explanation on that to the bundle page:
    https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...uring-location

I'll probably at some point add something to make that a little less complicated.
    FR24 does not provide the location unless it starts dump1090 itself, so i can't automate it.

Perfect. Works like a charm now. Thank you!