Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Feeder problems

Hello there guys,

I am trying to build a feeder using a rPI and a DVB dongle but I encountered some problems and I'm not sure of what can I do now.

The dongle I am using is an generic one that also had an antenna. My question is how can I figure out what is the problem, whether the dongle or the antenna are not good?
    And if the one of them are not supported, what can I do to fix them?

Here is a picture of the dongle&antenna:
    dongle.png

Thank you in advance for your answers!

What software have you installed on RPi?

Comment

Please run this and show the output:

Code:
      sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wiki/master/rtl_test.sh)"
      Or you can run rtl_test manually like described here:
      How To Test If Your DVB-T RTL SDR Dongle Is Healthy Following two options are described below: OPTION-1: Dongle plugged into Raspberry Pi. OPTION-2: Dongle plugged into Windows Computer. . OPTION-1: Dongle plugged into Raspberry Pi. STEP-1: Install the test tools package rtl-sdr sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install

Comment

A start could be to check if you have the right tuner in your dongle. I bought a tuner from china that was mislabeled and unable to receive ADS-B signals. Search for "How To Test If Your DVB-T RTL SDR Dongle Is Healthy" (don't think I can post links yet here due to new account)

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
          What software have you installed on RPi?
          piaware
          fr24feed
          dump1090-fa and dump1090

The rPI is running Raspbian Stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
            Please run this and show the output:

Code:
            sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - link)"
            Code:
            HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
            Length: 1870 (1.8K) [text/plain]
            Saving to: ‘STDOUT’

-                                                        100%[================================================================================================================================>]   1.83K  --.-KB/s    in 0s      

2019-06-26 14:33:27 (10.1 MB/s) - written to stdout [1870/1870]

553 /usr/bin/dump1090-fa --device-index 0 --gain 17.7 --ppm 0 --net-bo-port 30005 --lat 46.75 --lon 23.59 --max-range 360 --net --net-heartbeat 60 --net-ro-size 1000 --net-ro-interval 1 --net-ri-port 0 --net-ro-port 30002 --net-sbs-port 30003 --net-bi-port 30004,30104 --net-bo-port 30005 --json-location-accuracy 1 --lat 46.75617 --lon 23.59530 --write-json /run/dump1090-fa --quiet
            -----
            Lost samples in the first 2 seconds after starting the test are common and not a problem!
            Starting 30 second rtl_test, standby!
            -----
            Found 1 device(s):
              0:  Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
            [B]Found Fitipower FC0012 tuner[/B]
            Supported gain values (5): -9.9 -4.0 7.1 17.9 19.2 
            Sampling at 2400000 S/s.

Info: This tool will continuously read from the device, and report if
            samples get lost. If you observe no further output, everything is fine.

Reading samples in async mode...
            Signal caught, exiting!

User cancel, exiting...
            Samples per million lost (minimum): 0
            -------
            Test finished!
            More than 2 lost samples per million or other errors probably mean the receiver isn't working correctly.
            Try another power supply before condemning the receiver though!
            -------
            -------
            [Wed Jun 26 14:28:34 2019] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
            [Wed Jun 26 14:30:35 2019] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
            [Wed Jun 26 14:31:29 2019] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
            [Wed Jun 26 14:34:30 2019] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
            [Wed Jun 26 14:34:36 2019] Under-voltage detected! (0x00050005)
            -------
            Your power supply is not adequate, consider the Official Raspberry Pi power supply.
            Any constant voltage supply with 5.1 to 5.2 Volts and 2.5A capability is also a good choice.
            Inadequate power supplies can lead to many different problems!
            -------
            Last edited by Oblivian; 2019-06-26, 14:10.

Comment

Post your rtl_test output

Comment

Most likely you are running dump1090-fa and dump1090 at the same time.

That won't work properly.

Follow the guide or use the script described as on this page:
                Solutions to common problems using dump1090 variants and ADS-B feeders - wiedehopf/adsb-wiki

Comment

I posted my rtl_test output but the post needs to get approved.

Regarding running both dump1090 and 1090-fa, I think only fa is running by default. The behaviour was present event before having the dump1090.

Edit: wiedehopf, that's what I used when I firstly installed dump1090-fan.

Comment

Luckily I was still up (2am!!) to approve

I've highlighted the issue, It's not the right stick type.

Supplemental to information found at https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own (spurred from user finding stick information not so forthcomming) If you do not chose to purchase a marketed 'ADSB stick' or USB TV Tuner via the suggested link there are specific requirements to be made aware of before purchasing generic sticks
                    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Found Fitipower FC0012 tuner
                      Fitipower will not work for ADSB 1090 Mhz.
                      Change your dongle with RTL chipset:
                      RTL2832U + R820T2

Get the best deals for RTL2832U + R820T2 at eBay.com. We have a great online selection at the lowest prices with Fast & Free shipping on many items!
                      Last edited by abcd567; 2019-06-26, 15:18.

Comment

That dongle indeed won't work. (Fitipower)

Recommended dongles:

rtl-sdr v3 dongle: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/

Flightaware Pro Stick Plus

Green AirNav stick: https://www.radarbox24.com/store

All those dongles use an SMA connector though.

You can also get this one which is rather inexpensive and uses the MCX connector (also comes with an antenna i believe)
                        AirNav Micro RadarBox - Dongle USB ADS-B Receiver (https://www.radarbox24.com/store)

The dongles with SMA connector mentioned above should provide better reception though.

You will also want to cut your whip antenna to size so it's optimized for 1090 MHz.
                        STARTER When DVB-T Dongle is purchased, a whip antenna is supplied with it. Every beginner uses this whip in his starter setup. Improve the performance of this whip antenna by three simple steps given below: (1) Whip is too long for 1090 MHz. Cut it to 67mm. (2) Magnetic base provides an insufficient ground-plane. Enlarge

Comment

Working...
                        X