No announcement yet.

How to test jettison DVB-T dongle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes you did mention that. But the cable shown on Amazon in the link is female/male, at least what I see. That is why I asked

Comment

I mentioned it so you buy an male to male SMA coupler. (https://www.amazon.de/adaptare-60337.../dp/B004NEHTIU)

In addition to the cable. (a male to male SMA cable would also do but may be more expensive or hard to find.)

Only male to male SMA cable similar i can find is 2m (https://www.amazon.de/Delock-Antenne.../dp/B00MGRGU1S)
      The male to female has more length choices available.
      Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-07-02, 15:11.

Comment

Ok thank you, found a DeLock cable with two male connectors. Guess that will work as well

Comment

Even better with less connectors.

Checked your reception and it's quite good already, so i'm sure you'll do fine with the antenna.

Comment

Thank you,
            Antenna is expected August 20th! So I am considering buying an extra cable for my current small antenna ( Jetvison) and my new dongle ( RTL-SDR) But perhaps the shipping is faster than expected

Comment

The difference in dongles shouldn't be too large, so i wouldn't bother.

You can always build yourself a spider directly on the dongle if you feel like it.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post

You can always build yourself a spider directly on the dongle if you feel like it.
                Spider-on-dongle:
                Spider-on-dongle-20170812.png

Comment

Oh that looks great. Thanks

Comment

Wire should be sticking out around 65 mm. (Theoretically 69 mm but a little shorter usually works better)

Radials also 69 mm.

Comment

Wiedehopf & abcd567
                      Thank you so much for all the info.

I use a cheap SDR dongle ($8.50) to feed fr24 and other website.

i like to upgrade it..... i saw those two online.

RTL-SDR Blog brand R820T2 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO SMA V3 Dongle, for $21.95
                      RTL-SDR Blog V3 R820T2 RTL2832U Dongle/

and

FlightAware Brand Prostick Plus ADS-B Specialty RTL-SDR, for $24.95
                      FlightAware Brand Prostick Plus/

it's only $3 different ......... which one do you recommend ?

Comment

The ProStick can have problems with mobile phone or TV/radio transmission towers, but due to the integrated amplifier/filter it should be able to get you more range unless you are close to such a tower.

The rtl-sdr v3 is very nice with the metal housing while being hot to the touch actually keeps the internal temperature down.

If you ever want to go the extra mile, the v3 has an integrated bias-tee for powering an external LNA.
                        (https://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-product-...mhz-ads-b-lna/)

Anyway both have SMA connectors, make sure your existing antenna works with that.

What antenna are you using anyway, might well be that improving your antenna might be the better direction to go

Comment

I ordered the RTL-SFR dongle. Read some great reviews, after wiedehopf recommended this one. Till it arrives I am using the Jetvision dongle.

If you want a review and some graphs how theLNA perfumes that wiedehopf suggested;http://www.radioforeveryone.com/p/re...ed-preamp.html

Comment

Flightaware Pro Stick (orange & blue) both have built-in LNA, but due to mobile/cell signals almost everywhere, requires external filter, another $21.

Rtl-sdr v3 does NOT have a built-in LNA nor have a built-in filter. You will need to spend another $30 to buy a LNA with built-in filter (due to mobile/cell signals).

Basically one needs Dongle + Amplifier (LNA) + Filter.
                            You can achieve this in different ways:
                            - All 3 independent units
                            - Dongle + LNA one unit, Filter separate
                            - Dongle separate, LNA + Filter one unit
                            - All 3 in one unit. Examples: Flightaware's ProStick Plus (blue), RadarBox24's FlightStick (green). However these units often need an additional external filter.
                            Last edited by abcd567; 2019-07-06, 15:35.

Comment

I found one on ebay for $14.99

i hope it's the real one, and not a fake.

RTL-SDR Blog V3 RTL2832U 1PPM

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                                What antenna are you using anyway, might well be that improving your antenna might be the better direction to go
                                I have those 2 antennas.

GroundPlaneADSBAntenna.jpg

PCBl1600.jpg

now i'm using the GP spider.

Comment

Working...
                                X