Switch from LAN to WiFi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switch from LAN to WiFi

I've been searching here because I was sure I remember reading instructions on how to do this but I cant find anything.

I have a running setup but would like to relocate my antenna/feeder.

At the moment the only way I can do this is to get WiFi working on my Pi.

I'm pretty sure it involves sudo nano wpa_supplicant.conf, and editing the file for my SSID and WPA-PSK password etc.

The part I'm not sure about is where to sudo nano this file.

I have a fully configured running setup at the moment and have been making all of my changes SSH.

Thanks in advance.

You need to google further than this forum Alone.

It's an off-site guide on raspberry pi. That the others have sampled portions from

The ones here are for initial support of a headless setup only when transferring SD cards.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2019-06-16, 00:13.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
      You need to google further than this forum Alone.

It's an off-site guide on raspberry pi. That the others have sampled portions from

The ones here are for initial support of a headless setup only when transferring SD cards.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
      Thanks again.

I did search outside of this forum first.

I found the headless setups you mentioned above.

I looked at 5 or 6 sites before asking here.

What I was finding suggested having the SD card in a Mac or PC and adding the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file with an editor. I was thinking SSD but didn't know where to put it.

You have reinforced this is really nothing more than an ordinary Raspberry Pi running Raspbian with apps added to feed FR24.

I am trying to learn more about RPi's and Linux. The young high school interns where I work run circles around me.

I never even considered that raspi-config would work.

With help of great people like you and many others I am getting there!

Comment

Sorry if some of my phone-made posts appear short and grumpy.

Many users get grumpy at us (me) for suggesting ways to get their desired outcome involving scripts and commands when things use to 'never be this hard' or they 'aren't programmers' coming from a windows feeder.

But it's the nature of the beast. There is a basic setup that 'works' (for 1 site). Then there is the total opposite. None of us who made the guides started out as Linux trained etc, just took some time to make them along the way by reading the official Pi/app instructions and trying stuff ourselves to give the most direct route.

The whole thing behind each feeder companies idea of bundling an 'image' Is to make it easy for them to obtain user data without providing assistance to users.

Noone else. Just them.

An out of the box, working, slimmed down stock raspian image (no GUI or other non needed addons) with their own software ready to start uploading the second it finds a USB TV stick.

99.99999% of the time, everyone who starts with these images decides then and there, or later on that they also want registered accounts at competitor or alternate sites. So tries to add feeds to them. Or fancy graphs and addons they have seen others use.

For that reason, the guides here all suggest - Start with raspbain, add to it (has a GUI too). Sure, you have some commandline work to do to get the final product. That's the nature of linux unfortunately.

So if something you want to do, doesn't involve setting up from scratch like many of the ones here, chances are it'll have a real documentation on RPi Help https://www.raspberrypi.org/document...configuration/
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Awesome, thanks.

I didn't take it as grumpy at all!

I started much like you described. RPi, Blue FA stick, short stubby antenna that could only see about 5 flights.

Then, the more I read, the more I wanted to feed more sites. It's cool they give you upgraded accounts but this is fun to learn.

Then I bought a very good antenna but I kept going over in my mind how I was going to get it as high as possible. Then I thought about our attic. And, unfortunately, in my house, there is no way to pop out of the attic to the outside, it's all roof UGH.

In any event, I thought about WiFi, and putting the antenna IN the attic instead of a window by my computer desk.

I went from being able to see about 20 hits close to 100nm away to now seeing over 60 and close to 200nm away! Next step is to try to get the antenna outside.

Capture Pi.jpg

Thanks for the link.

I've spun up a RPi Zero with Raspbian and while the card was still in my computer I added the SSH and the WiFi config.

I'll play on that one so I don't have to disturb my working Feeder Pi.
          Last edited by glen4cindy; 2019-06-16, 02:19.

Comment

You can make a virtual one to work on also to save swapping SD cards or 2 units

The following are tested alternatives for feeding if your receiver was a windows based setup TAKE NOTE: These instructions are not for the feint of heart. They are complex. They do involve some learning Some SBS Receivers are still NOT supported Raspberry PI + DVB Stick + PI24 although come with a cost. May be easier for some

Comment

Code:
              sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_spplicant.conf
              Code:
              country=CA 
              ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev update_config=1 

network={
               ssid="YOUR_SSID"
               psk="YOUR_PASSWORD" 
              }
              Replace CA by your coutry code

Comment

Working...
              X