Max Range Performance Graph missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max Range Performance Graph missing

All of my performance graphs are showing except the Max Range.

It looks as if you have loaded a webpage where the file for the graphic is missing.

Max Range Missing.png

Is this being caused by something I did wrong during the configuration process? I'm sure it's possible I missed something.

I installed the version with automated install where I would enter ./install.sh to select who I wanted to feed to and the necessary scripts would run.

Thanks in advance.

Location needs to be configured in dump1090-fa or dump1090-mutability.

Also looks like reducing gain might be beneficial.

Comment

Most likely missing latitue & longitude values in dump1090

If you have installed dump1090-mutability:
      Run following command, and enter latitude and longitude when asked for:

Code:
      sudo dpkg-reconfigure dump1090-mutability
      Alternatively open following file, scroll down to find lines starting with RECEIVER OPTIONS and add --lat xx.xxxx --lon yy.yyyy
      Use your actual lat & lon in place of xx.xxxx yy.yyyy

Code:
      sudo nano /etc/default/dump1090-mutability
      If you have installed dump1090-fa:

Open following file and add --lat xx.xxxx --lon yy.yyy in the line starting with RECEIVER OPTIONS

Code:
      sudo nano /etc/default/dump1090-fa
      Last edited by abcd567; 2019-06-12, 23:19. Reason: Corrected command for dump1090-fa

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
        Most likely missing latitue & longitude values in dump1090

If you have installed dump1090-fa:

Open following file and add --lat xx.xxxx --lon yy.yyy in the line starting with RECEIVER OPTIONS

Code:
        sudo dpkg-reconfigure dump1090-fa
        I wish I knew more, but, I do not know the commands to "Open following file and add --lat xx.xxxx.....".

I thought typing the "sudo dpkg-reconfigure dump1090-fa" another way to fix this but doing that gives the following result:

"The user `dump1090' is already a member of `plugdev'.
        Restarting lighttpd.."

This is also what I have for the following command if this helps:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls
        adsb-receiver
        pi@raspberrypi:~ $

More direction would be appreciated.

Comment

Oops, this was a copy-paste mistake due to very small screen of my phone. The dump 1090-fa does not have "dpkg-reconfigure", only "sudo nano".

I will now correct it. Use this one

Code:

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
            Oops, this was a copy-paste mistake due to very small screen of my phone. The dump 1090-fa does not have "dpkg-reconfigure", only "sudo nano".

I will now correct it. Use this one

Code:
            Thanks!

I was able to edit the file to add my lat/long.

Now, my IP_ADDRESS/dump1090.php is displaying range rings which it was not before, and the graph has just appeared. It was not there for awhile but it's there now and beginning to show data.

I'd also note, @wiedehopf suggested reducing gain a bit. I changed it from 10 to 8 and after the reboot my aircraft all but disappeared. I had 1 maybe 2 targets. Changing it back to 10 brought them all back.

Comment

You have actually changed it from -10 (minus ten) to -8 (minus eight).

The -10 is the only value which can have a minus sign, and it actually switches the dongle to Automatic Gain Control. Any other value with a minus sign, like -8, will result in setting gain to ZERO, which will result in no aircrafts.

Change gain first to 49.6, then 45, then 40 and at each setting watch message rate. Do NOT use a negative value for gain.

Comment

There should be a percentage of messages >-3dB displayed. (first graph)

You don't want more than 5% of them, as a guideline.
                But you don't want to turn down the gain too much either.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                  There should be a percentage of messages >-3dB displayed. (first graph)

You don't want more than 5% of them, as a guideline.
                  But you don't want to turn down the gain too much either.
                  You all are helping me learn quite a bit and I really appreciate it.

Thank goodness for SSH not only because this setup is in another room but, because it is headless and getting things hooked up to make these configuration changes is tedious.

I'm curious how long I should wait and gather data before I update the gain again and reboot? It looks like the message rate dropped for 20 minutes and then came back up. That seems like it could very well account for at least some of the time for the reboot and then ramping back up.

This change is the 49.6 gain.

ADS-B Message Rate.png

Comment

Oh it seems you still have an old version, that doesn't handle that properly.
                    Try these commands:

cd adsb-receiver
                    git pull

that should give you the current version.

You can get the percentage another way:
                    HOWTO: gain This guide assumes you have console access to your Raspberry Pi (For Beginners - How-to SSH to RPi - Setup Putty in Windows) and know how to change the gain. (For Beginners - How to Set / Change Gain) Use this command to get the percentage of strong messages: awk "$(cat /run/dump1090*/stats.json| grep total | sed 's/.*accepted":\[\([0-9]*\).*strong_signals":\([0-9]*\).*/BEGIN {printf "\\nPercentage of strong messages: %.3f \\n" , \2 * 100 \/ \1}/')" Percentages around 5 are wh...

You normally need at least a day to compare and even that can be tricky.
                    Especially because your reception seems rather limited anyway.

Check out this thread:
                    STARTER When DVB-T Dongle is purchased, a whip antenna is supplied with it. Every beginner uses this whip in his starter setup. Improve the performance of this whip antenna by three simple steps given below: (1) Whip is too long for 1090 MHz. Cut it to 67mm. (2) Magnetic base provides an insufficient ground-plane. Enlarge

Comment

Try these commands:

cd adsb-receiver
                      git pull

that should give you the current version.

You can get the percentage another way:
                      HOWTO: gain This guide assumes you have console access to your Raspberry Pi (For Beginners - How-to SSH to RPi - Setup Putty in Windows) and know how to change the gain. (For Beginners - How to Set / Change Gain) Use this command to get the percentage of strong messages: awk "$(cat /run/dump1090*/stats.json| grep total | sed 's/.*accepted":\[\([0-9]*\).*strong_signals":\([0-9]*\).*/BEGIN {printf "\\nPercentage of strong messages: %.3f \\n" , \2 * 100 \/ \1}/')" Percentages around 5 are wh...

You normally need at least a day to compare and even that can be tricky.
                      Especially because your reception seems rather limited anyway.

Check out this thread:
                      https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...h-DVB-T-Dongle
                      This information is very helpful.

This is the antenna I am currently using:

It is not yet in its final mounting location. I have it sitting in the top part of a window but plan to move it quite a bit higher. I'm considering outdoor mounting boxes for the Pi once I settle on a location for the antenna. I'm sure outside and higher will give me much better coverage.

I'm also not sure I am getting the gain adjustment correct. Not knowing the following command:

sudo systemctl restart dump1090-fa

I have simply been rebooting the Pi after I made the gain change settings.

Comment

Oh you already have a nice antenna .

Yeah in the window isn't optimal but it'll have to suffice for now. But considering that the reception isn't too bad.
                        (maximum possible range: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ange-I-can-Get)

If you check the thread i linked, you'll figure out a suitable gain.

Make sure the antenna is pointing straight up, this is important for reception, even in the window.

Try having the RPi not too close to the antenna, the RPi produces electronic noise which interferes with reception.

With the cable attached to that antenna, i'd just put the RPi in the attic, the cable should be long enough for that?
                        Always tricky to find a way to get the cable inside through the roof of course.

Which dongle are you using, the green AirNav one?

Comment

Try these commands:

cd adsb-receiver
                          git pull
                          Thanks for this. I attempted these commands and received the following.

pi@raspberrypi:~/adsb-receiver $ git pull
                          remote: Enumerating objects: 127, done.
                          remote: Counting objects: 100% (127/127), done.
                          remote: Compressing objects: 100% (15/15), done.
                          remote: Total 331 (delta 112), reused 123 (delta 112), pack-reused 204
                          Receiving objects: 100% (331/331), 107.71 KiB | 0 bytes/s, done.
                          Resolving deltas: 100% (233/233), completed with 42 local objects.
                          From https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-receiver
                          f767266..65efe86 master -> origin/master
                          * [new branch] 2.x -> origin/2.x
                          * [new branch] 3.0 -> origin/3.0
                          * [new branch] bugfix -> origin/bugfix
                          * [new tag] v2.6.3 -> v2.6.3
                          Updating f767266..65efe86
                          error: Your local changes to the following files would be overwritten by merge:
                          build/portal/html/classes/template.class.php
                          Please commit your changes or stash them before you merge.
                          Aborting

Do I need to make my filesystem read/write? Or should I do something else?

Thanks again.

Comment

Oh you already have a nice antenna .

Yeah in the window isn't optimal but it'll have to suffice for now.

Which dongle are you using, the green AirNav one?
                            I looked at my "Polar Plot" on FR24 and see this:

FR24 Polar Plot.png

The window I have the antenna in is facing South so I would assume that is why I have such a strong pattern in that direction.

I'm using the dark blue FlightAware one.
                            Last edited by glen4cindy; 2019-06-14, 02:07.

Comment

Try this:

Code:
                              git fetch --all 
                              git reset --hard origin/master 

./install.sh

Wanted to test above commands, but currently away from home, cannot access RPi.
                              Tested on my Android phone using terminal app termux:

Code:
                              $ git clone https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-receiver.git
                              Cloning into 'adsb-receiver'...
                              1.52 MiB/s, done.
                              Resolving deltas: 100% (4171/4171), done.

$ cd ~/adsb-receiver     
                              $ git fetch --all
                              Fetching origin

$ git reset --hard origin/master
                              HEAD is now at 65efe86 Detect dump1090-fa and assign device index.
                              Last edited by abcd567; 2019-06-14, 05:23.

Comment

Working...
                              X