No announcement yet.

Max Range Performance Graph missing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No need to do the install.sh again. (unless you want to update the rest of the receiver-project as well)
    The graph generation scripts are used straight from the git directory.
    So updating that directory with git pull and a reboot should be sufficient to update the graphs.
    But he made manual changes it seems.

The reset --hard also cancels these manual changes and i don't know what he changed in build/portal/html/classes/template.class.php
    So i'm reluctant to advise anything without knowing why that change is there.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
      No need to do the install.sh again. (unless you want to update the rest of the receiver-project as well)
      The graph generation scripts are used straight from the git directory.
      So updating that directory with git pull and a reboot should be sufficient to update the graphs.
      But he made manual changes it seems.

The reset --hard also cancels these manual changes and i don't know what he changed in build/portal/html/classes/template.class.php
      So i'm reluctant to advise anything without knowing why that change is there.

I have already run the commands suggested by abdc567 when you mentioned I was using an older version and I tried to use:

cd adsb-receiver
      git pull

to install updates.

I have not made any kind of changes, at least I don't think I have, other than configuring settings like lat/long. I also let the updates continue to run and never ran: git reset --hard origin/master.

After running all night, it looks like "Message" rate that is shown in red on the graph has dropped dramatically.

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 6.24.44 AM.png

Comment

That's with the blue Flightaware stick and the 50$ AirNav antenna in a window?

With a gain of 49.6?
        That's actually a little surprising.

But if you don't have any low flying planes closeby (in the direction of the window) then it's not too surprising.

Have you checked the theorectical max range?
        (https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ange-I-can-Get)

One interesting question is how well you can see the horizon from the window.
        If you see other houses then weaker signals are expected since unobstructed view of planes is limited.
        You can also try suspending the antenna with a string from the ceiling an inch or so removed from the window, but as high as possible.

Could also be that you have mobile phone mast nearby giving you problems.
        Can you post the signal graph?

The "strong message rate" in red is now actually a strong message rate.
        It was showing the first derivation of the strong message rate before, so the gradient/slope of the graph you can see now

A 2 percent you can actually try increasing gain a little if you want.
        But it's already a good setting. (0.5 percent to 5 percent strong signal messages is a reasonable gain setting in my opinion)

I'm pretty sure the antenna on the roof would bring big improvements.

Personally i like to use this LNA with the dongle from the same company: https://rtl-sdr.com/new-product-rtl-...mhz-ads-b-lna/
        It deals much better with mobile phone noise and TV/radio transmitters.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
          That's with the blue Flightaware stick and the 50$ AirNav antenna in a window?

With a gain of 49.6?
          That's actually a little surprising.

But if you don't have any low flying planes closeby (in the direction of the window) then it's not too surprising.

Have you checked the theorectical max range?
          (https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ange-I-can-Get)

One interesting question is how well you can see the horizon from the window.
          If you see other houses then weaker signals are expected since unobstructed view of planes is limited.
          You can also try suspending the antenna with a string from the ceiling an inch or so removed from the window, but as high as possible.

Could also be that you have mobile phone mast nearby giving you problems.
          Can you post the signal graph?

The reason for the window is that it is very close to my computer where the network switch is, hence where the Pi gets network and power. The ceiling is low in that room so the window is about as high as it can get. It's far enough back that there are not many obstructions, but, there are some. We are 20 miles from KSTL as the crow flies. Also in this area is KCPS, KBLV,

Comment

Working...
          X