Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Dim Newbie v What Am I Seeing

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    Yes, I put 37000 as that is what I would expect the EK flight from DXB to PER to be flying at and got 263nm. SO my antenna getting 208nm isn't too bad I thought

I did try to persist with the heat map of stray RF in my area but ran up against another error code, about which I have no idea. Instead of Tuner Gain settings and Exact Sample rates I got a USB interface error:

Again, not a snag, just playing
    USB in use.
    usb_claim_interface error -6
    Failed to open rtlsdr device #0

Need to stop ALL other things using it. and use only 1 at at a time. FR24feed, Dump1090, RTL test etc all want it.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Captain
    To stop fr24feed:

sudo systemctl stop fr24feed

start it back up:

sudo systemctl restart fr24feed

Others would need to stop dump1090, but in your case dump1090 is started by fr24feed, so the above is the way to go if you want to do something else with the receiver.

Passenger
    That percentage should also be shown in the first graph at the bottom. (Messages >-3dB)

The mean level shouldn't be allowed much over -10 dB in my experience, -8 dB might be ok.
    But the percentage of messages >-3dB is a better way to determine gain.
    More screenshots attached I'm afraid. I'm giving myself a bit of a headache trying to figure out what I'm seeing here. Does my 1.2% of message >3db and my mean level of -19.7 mean I should do something with my gain? I have attached that and the latest signal levels.

If I do have to adjust the gain, is that just the instruction in the FR24 settings field?

Sorry for the continued queries, I will stop very soon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Passenger
    Sorry guys, messages crossed in the post. I thought I had stopped the feed but I shall try, try, try again

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    More screenshots attached I'm afraid. I'm giving myself a bit of a headache trying to figure out what I'm seeing here. Does my 1.2% of message >3db and my mean level of -19.7 mean I should do something with my gain? I have attached that and the latest signal levels.

If I do have to adjust the gain, is that just the instruction in the FR24 settings field?

Sorry for the continued queries, I will stop very soon.
    The percentage is just an indication of strong messages.
    Just leave the gain as it is for now.
    If the percentage was 10 i would probably recommend turning down the gain, but it isn't.

In the fr24 settings field just for the hell of it, put the following:

Code:
    --gain -10
    (-10 is the maximum gain setting, don't ask why, the next lower setting is 49.6)

Then restart fr24feed with the website button.

Passenger
    Okay, thank you. I will try that when my machine has finished generating the heatmap. I am pleased to say the additional instructions to shut down FR24 (which in turn would shut down Dump1090 anyway) has worked and I think everything is working as abcd567's instructions tell me things should.

I am now going to see what SCP software is

Captain
    SCP (secure copy protocol) is a protocol related to SSH (secure shell).

Basically uses SSH to transfer files, same port, same user/password.

In windows you could use FileZilla or WinSCP.

Or pscp from the authors of putty, but it's console based
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-06-10 at 08:11.

Thanks for bringing up the issues regarding "Do I Need a Filter" post.

Done following in "Do I Need a Filter" post:

(1) In "STEP 1 of 6", removed [ url ] and [ /url ] tags which were wrapping the heatmap.py url of wget command (inside code block ). Anyhow it is ok now.

(2) In "STEP 2 of 6", added following two commands
    sudo systemctl stop fr24feed
    sudo systemctl stop piaware

(3) In "STEP 7 of 6", added following:

Another Software which has both SCP and SSH is Bitvise SSH Client (Windows).
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-06-10 at 13:19.

Passenger
    This has been a fun voyage of discovery

Thank you for updating your post, abcd567. Believe it or not I actually managed to get the program to run using the advice of Wiedehopf & Oblivian but I am sure your updated information will prove useful to others like me who need their hands held very tightly. Even more amazing was the fact that I bluffed my way through using FileZilla. It wasn't pretty the way I kept changing host IDs etc until I finally managed to get it hooked up to my Pi but, very surprisingly, I got it going and got to see what noise was around me. As it turns out, it's very quiet around these parts

I've attached the a couple of screenshots of the only noise around and the 1090MHz spectrum. I'm pleased to see that tinfoil hats are not required where we live.

Today's experiment will be to put -10 on the gain and see if that makes any difference to long range detection. I got a 220nm pickup yesterday, so I am extremely pleased with that, especially as my theoretical maximum should be 263nm for a 37000 aircraft.

Apart from that I suppose I'd better tackle some of the jobs my wife has written on my 'to do' list. For some reason lawn mowing is more important than ADSB antennas
    Attached Images Attached Images

Both the GSM-850 and EGSM-950 are strong and will overload front end of dongle. You Need a filter, like Flightaware 1090 Mhz Filter (Dark Blue color). Dont go for Light Blue one. It wont remove EGSM-950.

https://discussions.flightaware.com/...s-filter/45287

YES
    FlightAware 1090 Filter Dark Blue.jpg

NO
    FlightAware Filter Light Blue.jpg
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-06-11 at 01:18.