Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Very Dim Newbie v What Am I Seeing

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    I don't even know where I would type all those commands......
    Why type? Why not copy-paste?

Typing is heavily prone to typing mistakes which result in failure of commands. Copy-pasting commands totally eliminates typos and is much easier and is faster as well.

Passenger
    To all who have helped me today (and a very big shout out to abdd567 because I managed to follow his instructions easily) I thank you wholeheartedly

I now know where to look to find out what I'm feeding and how to get a map of what my kit is seeing and centre it on me.

Then I even managed to adjust the range rings!!

Then I went one further and got a decent map

I did try your links, wiedehopf, but then I got scared when I found out the FR24 instructions involved a beast, instead of my ADSB dongle and I chickened out lest I make something explode. I do appreciate your efforts but I'm still far too new at this to start making modifications that bear no resemblance to what I see on my computer screen.

Anyway, undeterred I did follow your link to abcd567's excellent advice on replacing dump1090 v1.14 with 1.15. Amazingly I even managed to follow the instructions and got it to work. What is this world coming to!!

I was literally just getting to the end of the whole process when I heard a crash outside. It's very dark here, raining and very windy. Unfortunately the crash was the pole on top of my roof which hold the weather station anemometer etc AND my lovely ADSB antenna SO, here I am with a lovely display, great range rings and sitting in the centre of my map......with no traffic. Not even Stealth's 12 aircraft from Perth

It's just a temporary snag and hopefully I'll get the antenna re-erected tomorrow (so long at the roof isn't slippery). THEN I'll be King Of Australind ADSB

Thanks again, everyone, for helping the newbie without a clue.

How good does this look (imagine traffic on it):
    Attached Images Attached Images

Captain
    There is on one hand the ModeS Beast, which is a receiver.
    On the other hand there is the beast protocol, which dump1090 adopted as its main protocol for shoving around messages.
    dump1090 offers these messages per default on port 30005 which fr24 is configured to connect to.
    With the default configuration fr24feed starts dump1090 internally instead of connecting to an independently running instance.

Hope this clears that up, no ModeS Beast required.

dump1090-mutability 1.15 is just fine as well, you might even like the optics better.

The graphs work fine with mutability 1.15 so if you would still like those, installing them is very easy, just one command
    But foremost good luck reinstalling your mast!
    Hopefully your roof didn't get damaged.

Passenger
    On the other hand there is the beast protocol, which dump1090 adopted as its main protocol for shoving around messages.
    dump1090 offers these messages per default on port 30005 which fr24 is configured to connect to.
    With the default configuration fr24feed starts dump1090 internally instead of connecting to an independently running instance.
    If it helps, I can order two beers and say that my friend will pay in about six languages. However, I've just watched the end of Game Of Thrones and think what you said above is akin to language in which the dragon girl speaks

I promise I will give the graphs a whirl tomorrow but now I must away to my slumbers and dream of sudos and other Japanese wrestling games.

Cheers

I promise I will give the graphs a whirl tomorrow
    Dont forget wiedehopf's graphs. I strongly recommend their installation.
    These graphs are a very useful tool for optimizing & monitoring your station.

Installation is very simple.Give following command, and wait for few minutes for script to complete the installation.
    Code:
    sudo bash -c "$(wget -q -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wiedehopf/graphs1090/master/install.sh)"
    Wait for another 15 minutes for graphs to collect data, then visit following address in your browser to see the graphs.

IP-OF-PI/graphs1090/
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-06-09 at 14:23.

Captain
    Short version: No need to be afraid of beasts, your dump1090 using your ADSB dongle talks the same language as the beast, that's why you tell fr24 it's a beast

And in case you ever want a hardware upgrade, i'd recommend this LNA: https://rtl-sdr.com/new-product-rtl-...mhz-ads-b-lna/
    Goes best with dongle from the same page, otherwise you would need another device to inject 5V into the coax. (called a bias-T)

But that's all for another day, hopefully the beast won't disturb the slumber!

Beauty and the Beast

Passenger
    Short version: No need to be afraid of beasts, your dump1090 using your ADSB dongle talks the same language as the beast, that's why you tell fr24 it's a beast
    Ah, all understood. I just thought it was a different machine altogether and they used a different setup etc. Since mine was working I didn't want to disturb it. I know, I'm a coward

I am pleased to say the advice about the ease of downloading the graphs proved true (again). I have them up and running but displaying nothing because I now have to go outside and deal with my fallen antenna/weather station anemometer etc. There will be no light aircraft around here again today as the 40kmh winds tend to keep them grounded. It looks like I'll be picking up branches in the garden again instead

I will certainly bear that LNA and ADSB dongle in mind for the future. I have the Flight Aware Pro dongle at the moment and that, I believe, has an amplifier in it and a filter. I think the filter is somewhat wasted (and may even be reducing the signal unnecessarily) because we're not in an urban area and don't have interference from surrounding emitters of wiggly amps. However, I shall see how it all goes once the weather becomes more flyable. 199nm was my record for yesterday, so I'm hoping to crack 200nm

Cheers

I think the filter is somewhat wasted (and may even be reducing the signal unnecessarily) because we're not in an urban area and don't have interference from surrounding emitters of wiggly amps.
    Your area does not have Mobile Phone signal?

Mobile / Cell Phone Frequencies Close to 1090 MHz ES and 978 MHz UAT

BAND NAME REGIONAL DEPLOYMENT CENTER FREQUENCY OF THE BAND UPLINK
    (mobile to tower)
    DOWNLINK
    (tower to mobile)
    GSM-850 GSM-850 is used in most of North, South and Central America
    (ITU-Region 2).
    Also in Australia & New Zealand
    850 MHz 824 – 849 MHz 869 – 894 MHz
    GSM-900 / EGSM-900 GSM-900 is used in most parts of the world: Africa, Europe, Middle East, Asia (apart from Japan and South Korea where GSM has never been introduced) and Oceania.
    (ITU-Regions 1 and 3)
    900 MHz 880 – 915 MHz 925 – 960 MHz
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-06-11 at 05:49.