Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just purchased a plug and play system. Is this really all I will need to get rolling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just purchased a plug and play system. Is this really all I will need to get rolling?

I understand basics, so it wont be talking over my head thats for sure. But I did invest in a system
    This is a TURN KEY 'Plug and Play' system!

COMPLETE FlightAware System with best components includes:

Raspberry PI 3 Model B + ADS-B 1090MHz Band-pass PRO STICK USB + SMA Filter plus Car Antenna for FlightAware

I do understand I am not totally a plug and play issue, but will I need to do any other purchasing to run on my lap top system.
    ? Just a basic yes, you will need to purchase a blah blah blah answer is all I am looking or. Will what I am getting get me rolling?
    I have a silver acct. already. Thanks
    Sandhya

Car antennna usually must means really bad antenna. I wouldn't go with a kit, they are overpriced.
    (also some ship with the old yellow stick that doesn't include an internal filter, the external filter is still good with the blue stick but the internal filter improves reception)

This is a decent cheap antenna: https://www.ebay.de/itm/1pcs-ADS-B-P...E/253915016420
    (should be easy to find on your ebay as well, look for the same seller)

Then buy the required length of coax, CFD200 or LMR200 is decent. No RP-SMA, must have SMA connectors.
    SMA male to male adapter is also needed for this antenna.

As a stick i'd recommend the Flightaware Pro Stick Plus (blue one) plus their filter.

rtl-sdr 1090 MHz LNA + rtl-sdr v3 stick gives better reception but needs some settings changed so the LNA gets power.

Then you want a current RPi 3, a 8 or 16 GB sd-card, the RPi Official power supply.

Comment

How are you going to power RPi in a car?
      How will you get internet in a car?
      Last edited by abcd567; 2019-06-02, 09:00.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
        How are you going to power RPi in a car?
        How will you get internet in a car?
        This is for home use, I have wifi. Course I would like to travel with it as well, but given its for home use, with my wifi, do I need anything else? Does this only work with the one flight monitoring website?

Comment

Just a curious question here. If you have a FlightAware USB stick, isn't that configured for feeding to FlightAware?

Is it possible to feed to Flightradar24 using a FlightAware USB stick?

Comment

Flightaware ProStick is not restricted to feed Flightaware only. You can feed any other site also.

I use Flightaware ProStick and feed following sites from my Pi:
            1. FlightRadar24
            2. RadarBox24
            3. Flightaware
            4. Planefinder
            5. Adsbexchange
            6. Opensky-network

The Flightaware ProStick (orange color) is actually standard DVB-T (RTL2832U+R820T2) with an RF-Amplifier chip added.

The Flightaware ProStick Plus (dark blue color) is actually standard DVB-T (RTL2832U+R820T2), with an RF-Amplifier chip AND a 1090 Mhz SAW filter added.

Comment

I'd recommend starting with a
              Raspbian Stretch Lite sd-card image (and install dump1090-fa)
              or a
              piaware sd-card image. (Raspbian stretch lite with dump1090-fa and piaware preinstalled)

Those make a better base for multiple feeders.
              The pi24 image comes with an outdated dump1090-mutability version.

In both cases fr24feed is configured to use the Beast protocol as a network receiver with the host being 127.0.0.1 (points back to the originating machine) and port 30005.
              (while dump1090 is not a Beast receiver it is the primary protocol used by dump1090)
              Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-06-02, 16:51.

Comment

A search matching Sandhya60's description of kit brought two close results, one at Amazon, other at Ebay. Both are priced $149.99 + Shipping (too much, over priced). Generally, the suppled car antenna performs low to moderate, but is not a high performer.

At Amazon
                FA kit amazon.jpg

At Ebay
                FA kit ebay.jpg
                Last edited by abcd567; 2019-06-02, 17:12.

Comment

Various options for feeding multiple sites from Pi:

How to Feed Data to Multiple Sites - A Brief Guide

Comment

well now interesting story, I am attempting to link it to the flightaware system. It cannot see it. according to who I bought it from it is a plug and play. Well...no...so then I asked them and they said the antenna needs to be plugged into my wifi router? wtf? So why cant it be plugged into my C cable connection in my lap top if the lap top is running on wifi? Does that mean that it runs off of the wifi device, not off of the computer? then how would it be portable if I took my lap top somewhere else where there is another wifi? anyone?

Comment

Can you post a link to the web site from which you have purchased the plug n play kit? We need to see what is in the kit before giving any advise.

Comment

Can you post a link to the web site from which you have purchased the plug n play kit? We need to see what is in the kit before giving any advise.
                        the forum wont let me post a link, guess I am too new but will this help? ebay...FlightAware-Raspberry-ADS-B-PRO-USB-Stick-Band-pass-SMA-Filter-Car-Antenna/141974995112

Comment

The only useful part of ebay url is the item number. I created a short url "www.ebay.com/itm/xxxxxx" where xxxxx is the item number i got from your post

The antenna connects to the Filter which connects to ProStick.I am surprized someone told you to connect antenna to Wifi.

ebay kit -1.jpg ebay kit -2.jpg

Now tell us did you write an OS image on the microSD card? If yes, which one. If no, then do you know which pre-installed OS was there?

EDIT
                          Ok, found from sellers description:

"Raspberry 3 Model B Comes with pre loaded micoSD card with PiAware, all you have to do is Claim your device and you are ready (must register an account with FlightAware, internet connection is required)."
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2019-06-04, 23:23.

Comment

Now tell us did you write an OS image on the microSD card? If yes, which one. If no, then do you know which pre-installed OS was there?
                            Guessing as sold as plug n play it's a preconfigured FA image to upload to them and not have a claimed/associated ID until manually done.

There won't be any visibility as made in their favour

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
                            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Go to following address and follow instructions.

Best Flight Tracker: Live Tracking Maps, Flight Status, and Airport Delays for airline flights, private/GA flights, and airports.

To claim a Station number for RPi, your computer should be on same local network (router) as the Pi.

Did you configure WiFi SSID and password in th RPi? If not shutdown RPi, slip out microSD card, slip into card reader of laptop (requires adapter), then open the drive named boot or piaware. You will see a file "piaware-config.txt". Open the file and scroll down till you find:

wireless-ssid MyWifiNetwork
                              password s3cr3t

Replace MyWifiNetwork with the name of your WiFi (aka the SSID of your local network)

Replace s3cr3t with the password of your WiFi

Save the file, eject microSD card from laptop, slip into RPi and boot. Your RPi will be connected to your network through WiFi.

Alternatively you can connect your RPi to network using a network cable connected at one end to RPi, and other end to router.
                              Last edited by abcd567; 2019-06-04, 23:53.

Comment

Working...
                              X