Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm stumped- new Pi system

Passenger
    Success! Maybe?

So I started Putty, logged in to the Pi, typed fr24feed-status and got the same message as before.

[FAIL] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process ... failed!

I then typed sudo fr24feed --signup

Entered my email, old sharing key and the location. This is what came up next-

Congratulations! You are now registered and ready to share ADS-D data with Flightradar24.
    + Your radar id is T-KMSO9, please include it in all email communication with us.
    + Please make sure to start sharing data within one month from now as otherwise your ID/KEY will be deleted.

Thank you for supporting Flightradar24! We hope that you will enjoy our Premium services that will be available to you when you become an active feeder.

To start sending data now please execute:
    sudo systemctl start fr24feed

Saving settings to /etc/fr24feed.ini...OK
    Settings saved, please run "sudo systemctl restart fr24feed" to use new configuration.
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl start fr24feed

I then went over to FR24 and for the first time in 3 weeks it shows me as Online!!!!!

It shows that I have only reported 1 aircraft since starting (10 minutes) but according to the website I should be seeing at least 4 aircraft at the moment- with 2 literally flying right over us. Should I worry about it yet?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ fr24feed-status
    [ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.
    [ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2019-06-02 20:48:41.
    [ ok ] FR24 Link: connected [UDP].
    [ ok ] FR24 Radar: T-KMSO1.
    [ ok ] FR24 Tracked AC: 1.
    [ ok ] Receiver: connected (458 MSGS/0 SYNC).
    [ ok ] FR24 MLAT: ok [UDP].
    [ ok ] FR24 MLAT AC seen: 0.
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Look good?

If I power this down will it start running FR24feed automatically when it gets powered up again?

Thanks for all your assistance- still don't understand why the auto-enroll didn't work. Is it something that can get screwed up by the browser? Or my router?

CONGRATULATIONS

Dont worry about number of planes shown on FR24 is less than shown by fr24feed-status command. This normal.

Yes, whenever you restart/powerup your Pi, fr24feed will automatically start. You dont have to do anything to start it.

Did you check the map in browser at following address?

IP-of-Pi/dump1090/

You should now concentrate on antenna location and type of antenna. Where is your antenna located, and what type of antenna you have?

Passenger
    Oh, my antenna and location sucks. Problem is my router is in our basement and I am using one of those magnetic antennas that came with the USB stick, it is technically underground. I explored the idea of installing an antenna on the roof and drilling a lot of holes to run the cable but the wife vetoed that...

I plan on moving the Raspberry Pi to our 2nd home 20 miles away. In that home the router is on the 2nd floor and I have some flexibility on antenna positions.

Cheers,

Mark

Captain
    That's like expecting to have WiFi reception when the router is placed 50 m above your house

No seriously, attic or window is the minimum for some form of reasonable reception.

Apropos WiFi, don't you have that? Placing the Rpi and antenna in the attic is a good solution.
    But that depends on the insulation as well, if it has metallic foil that can be a problem as well.
    (antenna on the roof is better obviously but you can't have everything)

Also give this a read: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...h-DVB-T-Dongle
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-06-03 at 04:14.

Why not locate Pi in ground floor or 1st floor, and run a network cable between Pi and the router?