Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LNA Issue

Hi all,
    In order to improve my range, I bought this week a Low Noise Amplifier SPF5189Z.
    It's a 5V amplifier and I connected it to pin n°2 and 14 of my GPIO raspberry pi. Pins n° 4 and 6 are dedicated to the Fan.
    When I try this following configuration, I have no signal:
    Antenna - 5m SMA Cable - LNA - SMA to MCX adapter - DVB T dongle - Raspberry Pi.
    Without the LNA, everything is fine with 250 messages per second.
    Do you have any idea of what may be the issue ?
    Thanks.

Have you tried lowering the gain?

Also unfiltered amplifiers can amplify noise which can lead to the dongle not receiving anything anymore.
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-05-30, 22:44.

Comment

The SPF5189Z device is a broadband amplifier reportedly covering the range 50 to 4000MHz, which also leads me to suggest overloading of the receiver with a range of nearby sources.

Comment

reportedly covering the range 50 to 4000MHz
        In my early radio days, this would have qualified as .. dc to daylight

ylis

Comment

Originally posted by ylis View Post
          In my early radio days, this would have qualified as .. dc to daylight
          Or as wide as a five bar gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
            Or as wide as a five bar gate.

Thanks for your quick answers guys. I was not expecting a negative effect of the amplifier but it is true that around Paris I may be exposed to a lot a sources causing noise in my case.
            I will try to have a look at raw signals with and without to confirm that and check the health of the component, waiting for my filter.
            I will of course share the results.

Comment

Originally posted by flyghost View Post

Thanks for your quick answers guys. I was not expecting a negative effect of the amplifier but it is true that around Paris I may be exposed to a lot a sources causing noise in my case.
              I will try to have a look at raw signals with and without to confirm that and check the health of the component, waiting for my filter.
              I will of course share the results.
              To give a practical example. The Flightaware stick that I used to use had both an amplifier and a filter built in, but if I didn't add in a SAW band-pass filter I received only aircraft that were very nearby, due to overloading of the stick by cellphone and other signals. With the filter in place I was receiving in some directions to 400+ km.

Comment

I performed some test with the help of GQRX.
                I used a 15m SMA cable for this test. Instead, I cruise with a 5m SMA cable.

Below is the illustration of the initial topic :
                FR24 Feed without LNA FR24 Feed with LNA
                2019-05-31_1518.jpg 2019-05-31_1521.jpg
                I looked at a typical radio frequency, and I can directly see the effect of the amplifier. Amplitude gains 20db as specified by this LNA. It makes me conclude that this LNA is working properly:
                Radio Fr. without LNA Radio Fr. with LNA
                2019-05-31_1651.jpg 2019-05-31_1653.jpg
                However, I looked at the 1090MHz frequency and I have the same signal with LNA, without LNA and without Antenna.
                2019-05-31_1728.jpg

I will then wait for the filter and performed the complementary tests.

Comment

Hey everyone,
                  I just received my filter. Plugged in and here is the result :
                  2019-06-11_1952.jpg
                  Thanks for your help.

Comment

Glad to know your problem is solved.

By the way, your map without filter was dark with water marks "for development purposes only".
                    With filter it became bright, and no water marks.
                    Seems adding the filter has improved the map display also

Below is the illustration of the initial topic :
                    FR24 Feed without LNA FR24 Feed with LNA
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10670[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]10671[/ATTACH]
                    Hey everyone,
                    I just received my filter. Plugged in and here is the result :
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]10754[/ATTACH]
                    Thanks for your help.

Comment

You really want to upgrade to 1.15 though, if i'm not mistaken it introduces the oversampling improving reception.

dump1090-mutability 1.15: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...dump1090-v1-15

Or just install dump1090-fa. (https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...ng-dump1090-fa)
                      The webinterface is a little different, i'm sure you can find screenshots if you're interested.

Comment

Working...
                      X