Thread: SBS Connections changing to Pi

SBS Connections changing to Pi

At present I have an external aerial connected to an SBS-1 then a cable (About 8 meters long) to connect to the computer and am running Kinetics Basestation software.
    I believe I will have to buy a new raspberry pi 3 and dongle but I don't know how everything connects together
    Could someone give me a rundown of what to buy (I want to use my existing aerial on the roof) and how it all connects together
    Many thanks
    Steve

Super Moderator
    You can still use the same USB cable (assuming it is USB) to the computer as it is now. A dongle is only required if you want a second receiver

The Pi can become just the uploader, and use the data from basestation the same as it does now. The application is just hosted on the Pi and not the PC

SBS/basestation devices are unfortunately very specific.

The alternate is like the many threads active now, running a virtual copy of linux on the PC if it is a 24/7 uploader. However there may be issues with that version of fr24feed currently. When the PI appears to work
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Hi Oblivian. Long time since we chatted
    How do I connect the Pi to the Aerial ?

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by (BOH) Steve View Post
    Hi Oblivian. Long time since we chatted
    How do I connect the Pi to the Aerial ?
    You don't

For SBS users, the preference is the pi does nothing, just send the data to FR24feed.
    Getting it from the PC with basestation on it, over the network. No antenna involved.

It is not a decoder itself, unless you add a DVBT. In which case the SBS wouldn't be able to be used and all sorts of connectors would be needed as sticks don't have SMA conectors.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

So I keep the SBS-1 and all the Pi does is feed FR24 once the software is downloaded to it and it is connected to the PC via USB.
    I guess that the better the processor in the PI the better it will upload to FR24

Super Moderator
    This may help visualising

Untitled Diagram.jpg

Thanks so much. That was exactly what I needed. Now off to buy the Pi
    Thank you

One last question (I think) If I install as per the far right diagram do I still use the standard software install from the FR24 Installation instructions ?

Flight attendant
    OK, I still need assistance please....

I bought the Pi today, a model 3B+

The 3B+ has wi-fi which is good for me, as I use mobile Wi-Fi router for internet connection. The Wi-Fi keyboard and Mouse all operate OK, the O/S is loaded and the HDMI connected. All up to date and working.

My SBS-3 is operating on a Laptop PC, Win 10. and used to feed to FR24, alas no more. The laptop does not have a LAN connection.

I still struggle to understand what I need to download (if anything) to feed to FR24 and how to connect my Laptop to the Pi 3B+ ..

If some kind person would spell it out precisely in layman terms, what I need to do next .. I would be very grateful.

regards, David
    was until cut off T-YDKI1 and T-AYPY1