SBS Connections changing to Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBS Connections changing to Pi

At present I have an external aerial connected to an SBS-1 then a cable (About 8 meters long) to connect to the computer and am running Kinetics Basestation software.
    I believe I will have to buy a new raspberry pi 3 and dongle but I don't know how everything connects together
    Could someone give me a rundown of what to buy (I want to use my existing aerial on the roof) and how it all connects together
    Many thanks
    Steve

You can still use the same USB cable (assuming it is USB) to the computer as it is now. A dongle is only required if you want a second receiver

The Pi can become just the uploader, and use the data from basestation the same as it does now. The application is just hosted on the Pi and not the PC

SBS/basestation devices are unfortunately very specific.

The alternate is like the many threads active now, running a virtual copy of linux on the PC if it is a 24/7 uploader. However there may be issues with that version of fr24feed currently. When the PI appears to work
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Hi Oblivian. Long time since we chatted
      How do I connect the Pi to the Aerial ?

Comment

Originally posted by (BOH) Steve View Post
        Hi Oblivian. Long time since we chatted
        How do I connect the Pi to the Aerial ?
        You don't

For SBS users, the preference is the pi does nothing, just send the data to FR24feed.
        Getting it from the PC with basestation on it, over the network. No antenna involved.

It is not a decoder itself, unless you add a DVBT. In which case the SBS wouldn't be able to be used and all sorts of connectors would be needed as sticks don't have SMA conectors.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

So I keep the SBS-1 and all the Pi does is feed FR24 once the software is downloaded to it and it is connected to the PC via USB.
          I guess that the better the processor in the PI the better it will upload to FR24

Comment

This may help visualising

Untitled Diagram.jpg

Comment

Thanks so much. That was exactly what I needed. Now off to buy the Pi
              Thank you

Comment

One last question (I think) If I install as per the far right diagram do I still use the standard software install from the FR24 Installation instructions ?

Comment

OK, I still need assistance please....

I bought the Pi today, a model 3B+

The 3B+ has wi-fi which is good for me, as I use mobile Wi-Fi router for internet connection. The Wi-Fi keyboard and Mouse all operate OK, the O/S is loaded and the HDMI connected. All up to date and working.

My SBS-3 is operating on a Laptop PC, Win 10. and used to feed to FR24, alas no more. The laptop does not have a LAN connection.

I still struggle to understand what I need to download (if anything) to feed to FR24 and how to connect my Laptop to the Pi 3B+ ..

If some kind person would spell it out precisely in layman terms, what I need to do next .. I would be very grateful.

regards, David
                  was until cut off T-YDKI1 and T-AYPY1

Comment

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP....I presently have a SBS Kinetic set up...the kit is as follows....
                    1. A good outside aerial approx 20ft (compatible to SBS) 2. Good aerial wire that goes into a pre-amp and then connects to a Kinetic SBS-1 (All located in the loft) 3. a USB lead that runs from the loft into the back of my computer. I run the Kinetic Base Station software and where I am located in the West Mids can pick up aircraft signals over 200 miles....
                    I was connected with FR24 and allocated EGBB99...since the Windows platform was disconnected I have bee anxious to input data into FR24 with a Raspberry Pi.
                    I purchased the recommended Raspberry Pi and connected it to a Monitor. I have the unit up and running on the screen.I have connected the unit via Wi Fi to my
                    router and it is working OK.
                    Although I am not too bad with computers I wonder if anyone can give me some very basic help how to connect the Raspberry Pi in order to get FR24 working.
                    If I need to download software or go to various links. I do have a FR24 account.
                    Would you be kind enough to assist me to get the unit up and running

Comment

Have you also bought a suitable ADS-B USB "dongle" to supply data to the RPi?

Please take a look:

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.
                      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Anmer...thanks for your very prompt reply...looking at previous posts I have got the impression ( I may be wrong!!!) that I do not need a suitable ADS-B USB "dongle". A previous post states:
                        You can still use the same USB cable to the computer as it is now. A dongle is only required if you want a second receiver...This is where I am very confused ...I intend running the RPi as a separate unit...but what my intention was is to take the USB lead from my existing computer (which is attached to the SBS unit and aerial) and plug it into the Rpi.
                        As an alternative, which I could use, is I also have a SBS 1e which I take out with me which plugs into my Laptop...I am running the same software but the range is far less with a small aerial.
                        If I need a ADS-B USB "dongle" does that act the same as the Kinetic SBS - and presumably plug an aerial into the socket provided (thereby cutting out the SBS unit) and what sort of display can I expect on my R Pi....Sorry to be a pain but I would just like to put some data back into FR24...any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                        X