Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux 53nm and Pi zero 30nm and no lat/long - why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
    If you have a small whip antenna, consider modifying your antenna like described in this thread:

STARTER When DVB-T Dongle is purchased, a whip antenna is supplied with it. Every beginner uses this whip in his starter setup. Improve the performance of this whip antenna by three simple steps given below: (1) Whip is too long for 1090 MHz. Cut it to 67mm. (2) Magnetic base provides an insufficient ground-plane. Enlarge

Also i'm pretty sure using -10 as a gain will provide better results unless you have Flightaware Pro Stick.

Quite aware that the range isn't gonna be good with your terrain, that i believe.
    But once the aircraft are "in view" you should get plenty of messages and a solid track.

(Where is the antenna located? Pretty much no matter what improving the antenna like described in the thread can improve things a lot)

Thanks. I will try those things that I haven't already. Antenna is the sort that's coiled halfway up so difficult to accurately measure the length. It didn't come with the dongle. Indoors, on a tin, and has been in quite a few different spots over the years. Also it's a "Pi Zero W" with onboard wifi and I'm not too impressed with it's coverage, so that limits me a bit. I've already reset gain to -10. I'll endeavour to persevere!

Comment

Yeah just unscrew the whip and replace it with another wire that is the correct dimension.

No matter what they are advertised as they are normally for other wavelength.

Comment

Last edited by abcd567; 2019-05-07, 21:19.

Comment

Working...
        X