Recent instability of dump1090-fa + FR24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recent instability of dump1090-fa + FR24

Over the past two weeks, my setup of using dump1090-fa to feed FR24 has become very unstable. Before that it would run for weeks without a problem. But now, my dump1090-fa data stream seems to drop multiple times per day (showing no aircraft on the PiAware SkyView map), and then of course my FR24 stats page shows no data coming in.

Typically restarting the dump1090-fa process (first) and then the FR24 feed (second) fixes the problem. (but I'm guessing that restarting dump1090-fa is actually fixing it, and restarting FR24 feed is probably not necessary)

When this problem showed up, I ran sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade just to make sure I have the latest of everything, and that didn't fix the problem.

Any ideas how to debug why my dump1090-fa stream seems to be dropping with the SkyView map then going blank? Could this be some type of data flow problem off my USB stick (failing/defective stick maybe?) that is then tripping up the dump1090-fa stream?

Any tips would be appreciated....

Thanks, John

Power supply not sufficient is generally the answer.

Comment

Cannot access thread

Strange....I cannot read my own thread! I can only reply to it...Many gremlins happening this morning.

Comment

OK. Now I can see the thread again so I can respond.

I switched to another identical power supply from an identical Pi and the same problem happened again. The dump1090-fa feed dropped after about five minutes, I restarted the service, and it's working again. This happens about ten times per day or more.

I'm going to try taking this SD card and my USB DVB-T dongle and put it in an identical Pi to boot it up on that Pi and see if it's stable. If it happens on that Pi too, then it might have something to do with this DVB-T stick.

Comment

Originally posted by anydanow1 View Post
          I switched to another identical power supply
          Well if it is a power problem then it might still be present with the other (identical) power supply.

What is it rated for?

Is the dongle plugged directly into the RPi? You can try another USB port and the contact may be better.
          Also it can be the power supply cable as well being a bottleneck.

Getting a power supply with 5.2 V output normally avoids those problems, they are basically specially made for the RPi because of those problems.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
            Well if it is a power problem then it might still be present with the other (identical) power supply.

What is it rated for?

Is the dongle plugged directly into the RPi? You can try another USB port and the contact may be better.
            Also it can be the power supply cable as well being a bottleneck.

Getting a power supply with 5.2 V output normally avoids those problems, they are basically specially made for the RPi because of those problems.

The power supply says the output is 5V 2.5A, so it should be good enough. Yes, the dongle is plugged directly into the Pi.

I switched to the other identical Pi and it's been up, running, and stable for almost 30 mins....so I might have a problem on my other Pi's USB ports (loose ports, problem on the board, etc). I'll leave this new one running and see if it stays stable/running and if so then I'll figure out what to do about the "broken" Pi.

Thanks for the power supply tip. Will definitely keep that in mind for the future projects I want to try.

Comment

It seems to have been something on the first Pi. Either something is wrong with the USB ports (looseness?), or something is wrong on the main board involving USB, or....who knows. But everything has been stable all day. I think it has something to do with the ports, because I remember when I just barely nudged the USB dongle last week by accident that my feed dropped, so now it's all making sense...

Comment

Working...
              X