Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Added USB Hub on RPi 3B and that made a difference !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Added USB Hub on RPi 3B and that made a difference !

Hi,

Just wanted to share this:

I have been running a RPi 3B with original Power Supply and a Flight Aware Pro Stick for some months with decent results. Dump1090 mutability 1.15 and standard FR24 image
    In the last week most performance figures has been declining some 20% so I started diagnosing...

I connected a good quality USB Hub with 4 Amp power supply and my numbers were immediatly better. Why, is another question......

Look at the graphs, I changed at around 8:15 this morning....

Graph 1.jpg

Graph 2.jpg

Which original power supply?

Looking at the signal graph the old power supply was producing a lot of interference / electrical noise.

Comment

HI,

I bought a Kit with RPi, heatsinks and PS, maybe it's not "original" PS but.....can be any crap when you start thinking.
      But, still the same Power Supply to the RPi but now the FA Stick gets its power from a separate PS in the HUB.

Do you think it's worthwhile to look for an even better quality PS for the RPi as well ?

Comment

Well maybe just repositioning the dongle made the difference in regards to the noise, maybe it was reducing the load on the main power supply.
        Probably the noise is reduced somehow traveling to the hub.
        Hard to say where it's coming from, such things are not trivial.

But yeah the Official RPi 3B+ or the canakit power supply both seem to be good ones.

Doesn't mean it's gonna further improve reception though.

Comment

Originally posted by fjuppe View Post
          Hi,

Just wanted to share this:

I have been running a RPi 3B with original Power Supply and a Flight Aware Pro Stick for some months with decent results. Dump1090 mutability 1.15 and standard FR24 image
          In the last week most performance figures has been declining some 20% so I started diagnosing...

I connected a good quality USB Hub with 4 Amp power supply and my numbers were immediatly better. Why, is another question......

Look at the graphs, I changed at around 8:15 this morning....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10508[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10509[/ATTACH]
          I'll try doing the same and see if I get any improvement in performance

Comment

Originally posted by goku1976 View Post
            I'd recommend investing in one of these or similar (cheaper on eBay):

It goes inline between your Pi/computer and your dongle and doesn't affect the data flow. Then you can actually see what voltage is available to your dongle. On a version one Pi which I used for a year or two, and v1's had known issues with the USB ports polyfuses, the voltage available went down and down and so did the range. From memory it was something like:

4.90V - 53 nm
            4.75V - 26 nm
            4.60V - 5 nm
            4.50V - 0 nm

(I have mountains all around me so 53 nm is my maximum.)

If you get one you'll wonder how you ever managed without it!

Comment

Originally posted by goku1976 View Post
              I reply myself just to say that after 3 days using a powered usb hub to feed the dongle I've also noticed an improvement in performance. Getting more planes detected and more hits/positions than I had before.

I had been using a Rpi 1B+ with an original power suply.

Comment

Chances are that your dongle is getting a higher voltage from the hub, the early power supplies were only really powerful enough to run the pi, dongles can easily draw 400-500ma and would probably cause some voltage drop, also using a separate power supply will give some isolation from noise generated by the various clock circuits on the pi, I have used hubs for most of the pi systems I have played with as the early boards had problems providing power through the USB ports (originally the USB on the early boards was only ever intended to be used for keyboard / mouse, they didn’t realise how versatile the boards could be!)
                FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Working...
                X