No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and USB Dongle R820T2 no flights recognized

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you can see them then you should be receiving them easily.

If your dongle had an SMA connector and not MCX you could just use a piece of wire about 6.8 cm long and place it into the dongle.
    With the MCX connector it's not easy to exclude the possibility of the antenna cable not being connected to the antenna anymore (internally).
    (But the antenna is new and probably intact)

Does this aircraft list at least work for you (replace the IP address with that of you RPi)

The map can be changed like this: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...uot-Water-Mark
    @abcd567 that thread can probably also use the remount command

Which power supply are you using for the RPi?
    Maybe just try a different one, a phone charger with USB output for example.
    Sometimes the USB receiver doesn't work properly with a weak power supply.
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-04-10, 17:58.

Comment

Yes, the list is working but empty.
      It was a complete package for the raspberry pi 3 b+ with an 3A power supply.

Is the direction of the antenna important?

Comment

The tip needs to point up. Also the further the antenna can "look" the better. So having it on a roof or an elevated position is very beneficial.

Can you check flightradar24 if there are even close by aircraft at the moment?
        Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-04-10, 18:18.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
          If you can see them then you should be receiving them easily.
          The map can be changed like this: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...uot-Water-Mark
          @abcd567 that thread can probably also use the remount command
          I dont understand the logic of FR24 developers who made PI24 file system "read-only".

Thanks for suggesting inclusion of mount/remount command in Map thread.
          Since this problem has became known to me before I created the Map post in February 2019, I ensured to included mount/remount command (Step-2).

Comment

I changed my setup. The raspberry is now quite far away from other electronic devices. Unfortunately the cable of the antenna isn't long enough to put it on the roof. I will try some different locations. But the changes will be small.

Right now there are some planes on the ground and one is 100km away.

Comment

Maybe check this thread:

INTRODUCTION The Maximum Range achievable at any location depends on (1) Curvature of earth (2) The terrain around that location. Terrain plays a very important role as hills & changes in ground level will restrict maximum range. This is due to the fact that propagation of radio waves in GHz/Microwave range is line of

Note that this is only valid if you don't have other houses that are in the way.
              There aren't many aircraft so maybe just let it run and check your feed statistics on fr24 tomorrow?

Planes on the ground are hard to receive unless you are very close to the airport.

Comment

First of all thank you very much for your support and patience.

The airport isn't far away, maybe 5km. But Addis is very mountainous.

Many planes are arriving and leaving in the evening. I will see what's happening tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                  And thank you Oblivian for unlocking the posts
                  At 4am. I don't think so. It was multiple quotes and @s. 2nd text only attempts worked

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

My reception is still bad. Even after I put the antenna on the roof. I ordered now a FlightAware pro plus stick and a bigger outdoor antenna.
                    No tracks and only one uploaded plane.

Comment

Have you created a panorama like this:

INTRODUCTION The Maximum Range achievable at any location depends on (1) Curvature of earth (2) The terrain around that location. Terrain plays a very important role as hills & changes in ground level will restrict maximum range. This is due to the fact that propagation of radio waves in GHz/Microwave range is line of

The outline should tell you if the airplanes coming into the airport are even in your view.

If your terrain is unfavorable and the planes come in on tracks that are obscured, no amount of reception equipment will help.

Anyway good luck with the new antenna and receiver.

Comment

Because of the Ethiopian Highland and the Mountains it’s not easy. But I shall see the landing planes.

Comment

Originally posted by Nomax2000 View Post
                          Because of the Ethiopian Highland and the Mountains it’s not easy. But I shall see the landing planes.
                          Note that the default outlines are for 10000 ft and 30000 ft, so for the landing planes you would need to change that number.

But as you said if you can see them with your eyes the antenna should be able to pick them up.
                          I'm actually surprised your current antenna didn't pick them up as the signal should be strong as they are close by.

Comment

Is it the hight of the planes above sea level oder ground? because I am living already on 8000ft. The airport Addis Ababa is officially on 7657ft. If it is 10000ft above sea level I should see them landing.
                            I tried it with 10000/30000ft and 10000/45000ft.
                            IMG_0081.jpg
                            IMG_0082.jpg

Comment

It's above sea level.

If you try putting in lower than local altitude into the yellow box it will show an error.

Good luck then with the new antenna!

Comment

Today the new antenna and receiver arrived in Addis. My reception is much better now.

Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-23 um 18.56.37.jpg

After a few hours.

Additional I got today the package of Flightradar24. Now I am receiving data from two devices.

Comment

Working...
                                X