Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi 3 B+ and USB Dongle R820T2 no flights recognized

Good morning,

I tried to build my own Flightradar24 receiver. I am using the above mentioned hardware and the image provided by Flightradar24. Bildschirmfoto 2019-04-10 um 06.34.22.jpg As far as I understood the manual it should work out of the box. Do you have any suggestions what's the reason for my issue?

Best
    Christian

What antenna are you using, how is it connected?

It looks like you are just not receiving any flights, that can have a number of reasons:

- Antenna not connected, connection faulty
    - Really bad antenna
    - Electrical noise blocking reception
    - No planes in range
    - Bad antenna position

Comment

Is My DVB-T RTL SDR Dongle Healthy?

Comment

I am using a USB Dongle with antenna from jetvision.

Comment

It seems there is something wrong with my installation.

I gett error messages if I try to install sudo apt-get install rtl-sdr

Comment

Originally posted by Nomax2000 View Post
            I am using a USB Dongle with antenna from jetvision.
            They have multiple antennas and multiple dongles, please be specific.

Anyway follow the guide linked above by abcd567 to first check if the dongle is working correctly.

Edit: Well if you want any helpful input on the problem, why don't you tell us which errors?
            Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-04-10, 14:41.

Comment

Sorry. I would like to. But this forum isn't allowing me to post links. Thus I can't write the error yet.

It is the bundle: ADS-B USB Dongle (R820T2) + Small Indoor Antenna

ADS-B RTL2832/R820T USB-Dongle
              Indoor Antenna

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo apt-get install rtl-sdr
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              The following NEW packages will be installed:
              rtl-sdr
              0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
              Need to get 51.7 kB of archives.
              After this operation, 172 kB of additional disk space will be used.
              Err:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian stretch/main armhf rtl-sdr armhf 0.5.3-11+rpt1
              Could not open file /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/rtl-sdr_0.5.3-11+rpt1_armhf.deb - open (30: Read-only file system) [IP: 93.93.128.211 80]
              W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
              W: chown to _apt:root of directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
              W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
              W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
              W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/.apt-acquire-privs-test.YAGcKX - IsAccessibleBySandboxUser (30: Read-only file system)
              W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/rtl-sdr_0.5.3-11+rpt1_armhf.deb - PrepareFiles (30: Read-only file system)
              E: Failed to fetch http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debia...rpt1_armhf.deb Could not open file /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/rtl-sdr_0.5.3-11+rpt1_armhf.deb - open (30: Read-only file system) [IP: 93.93.128.211 80]
              E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?
              Last edited by Nomax2000; 2019-04-10, 15:00.

Comment

Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                The following NEW packages will be installed:
                rtl-sdr
                0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                Need to get 51.7 kB of archives.
                After this operation, 172 kB of additional disk space will be used.
                Err:1 archive.raspberrypi.org/debian stretch/main armhf rtl-sdr armhf 0.5.3-11+rpt1
                Could not open file /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/rtl-sdr_0.5.3-11+rpt1_armhf.deb - open (30: Read-only file system) [IP: 93.93.128.211 80]
                W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock
                W: chown to _apt:root of directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
                W: chmod 0700 of directory /var/cache/apt/archives/partial failed - SetupAPTPartialDirectory (30: Read-only file system)
                W: Not using locking for read only lock file /var/cache/apt/archives/lock
                W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/.apt-acquire-privs-test.YAGcKX - IsAccessibleBySandboxUser (30: Read-only file system)
                W: Problem unlinking the file /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/rtl-sdr_0.5.3-11+rpt1_armhf.deb - PrepareFiles (30: Read-only file system)
                E: Failed to fetch .raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/r/rtl-sdr/rtl-sdr_0.5.3-11+rpt1_armhf.deb Could not open file /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/rtl-sdr_0.5.3-11+rpt1_armhf.deb - open (30: Read-only file system) [IP: 93.93.128.211 80]
                E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe run apt-get update or try with --fix-missing?

Comment

Use this command, then start with the commands in the other thread again:
                  Code:
                  sudo mount -o remount ,rw /
                  (I'm still not sure when the pi24 sd-card image is mounted readonly. Did you just download it?)

Comment

It is the bundle: ADS-B USB Dongle (R820T2) + Small Indoor Antenna
                    Please check this thread on improving this antenna (it has bad reception because it's for other frequencies)

STARTER When DVB-T Dongle is purchased, a whip antenna is supplied with it. Every beginner uses this whip in his starter setup. Improve the performance of this whip antenna by three simple steps given below: (1) Whip is too long for 1090 MHz. Cut it to 67mm. (2) Magnetic base provides an insufficient ground-plane. Enlarge

Also make sure that you place it higher than the Raspberry Pi and not too close to it, the RPi and it's power source cause electrical noise that couples into the antenna causing bad reception.

Comment

And thank you Oblivian for unlocking the posts

Comment

I used the manual provided by Flightradar24:
                        Download Pi24 Image (ZIP, GZIP, MD5)
                        Download and unzip the file.
                        Download Etcher and follow the instructions given on the page.

I installed the image with etcher.

The antenna is three meters away from the raspberry and outside (dry place).

Thank you. Now I was able to do the test. The result seams fine:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ rtl_test -t
                        Found 1 device(s):
                        0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
                        Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
                        Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6
                        [R82XX] PLL not locked!
                        Sampling at 2048000 S/s.
                        No E4000 tuner found, aborting.
                        Last edited by Nomax2000; 2019-04-10, 17:01.

Comment

The antenna is three meters away from the raspberry and outside (dry place).
                          As i said check the thread on improving the antenna.

Normally there should be at least a couple of aircraft visible but if there is a lot of electrical noise or the antenna is blocked from the aircraft by hills or metal of any kind there is the possibility of receiving nothing.

I also don't know where you are located and how many planes pass by.

(After doing the tests you will have to start fr24feed again so that it is running: sudo systemctl restart fr24feed )

Comment

I am in Addis Ababa with view on the landing planes. There shall be many planes. If I see them, I also should get the data.

I checked the thread on improving the antenna and shortened it.

Comment

E: Failed to fetch .raspberrypi.org/debian/pool/main/r/rtl-sdr/rtl-sdr_0.5.3-11+rpt1_armhf.deb Could not open file /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/rtl-sdr_0.5.3-11+rpt1_armhf.deb - open (30: Read-only file system) [IP: 93.93.128.211 80]
                              I have now updated the post "Is My DVB-T RTL SDR Dongle Healthy? " and added command "sudo mount -o remount ,rw /" to make file system "read and write", with a note to use this command for PI24 image.

Comment

Working...
                              X