Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oblivian
    wiedehopf

My previous method included upgrading the Raspbian.
    This unnecessarily added huge number of packages, mostly irrelevant to fr24feed.

I have now determined packages actually needed by fr24feed, and removed "sudo apt upgrade".

Here is the minimal install
    Code:
    # Add architecture armhf to use RPi armhf package on i386 / i686 / x86_64 PC:
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf
    sudo apt update

# Install dependencies
    sudo apt install gcc-6-base:armhf libc6:armhf libgcc1:armhf libstdc++6:armhf  

# Download fr24feed armhf.deb package and install it on i386 / x86_64 PC
    wget -O fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb http://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/rpi_binaries/fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb
    sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb
    sudo systemctl restart fr24feed

sudo fr24feed --signup

fr24feed-status

Comment

• That's basically what I did from your previous guide. Not fill it with armhf everything. Worked well.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
        Oblivian
        wiedehopf

My previous method included upgrading the Raspbian.
        This unnecessarily added huge number of packages, mostly irrelevant to fr24feed.

I have now determined packages actually needed by fr24feed, and removed "sudo apt upgrade".

Here is the minimal install
        Just now carried out an install following those steps. It was truly "a piece of piss" and is working fine getting its feed from the Mode-S Beast on the Windows host. Thanks again to all.

Comment

• Originally posted by kkomarica View Post
          I tried a newer linux image for my android tv stick a got some progress!
          I managed to install dump1090 and it works.
          I have tried several versions of fr24feed but there were always issues. The best results were when I installed fr24feed_1.0.18-5_amrhf.tgz
          But here also I ran into issues that I don't know how to solve. I hope that you can figure it out of this:
          Please disregard this post.
          While I was waiting for the moderators to review the post (more then 12h), I did something to make everything work.
          Thanks for all the direct and indirect help on this forum.

Now I can focus on more important things in life ... like building an outdoor antenna

Comment

• Originally posted by kkomarica View Post
            Please disregard this post.
            While I was waiting for the moderators to review the post (more then 12h), I did something to make everything work.
            Thanks for all the direct and indirect help on this forum.

Now I can focus on more important things in life ... like building an outdoor antenna
            FYI it doesn't notify me there are posts to moderate. And I seem to be the only one who ever checks.
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Hi Guys,

I can't say how angry I am because of the decision about leave windows client. I have got running Windows XP Embedded on old HP Thin Client and it serve me for years to control radio rack. I have killed 2 weeks already and still don't have solution.

Thin Client is 1GB RAM and 1GHz CPU. I'm searching for linux distribution which can run as live USB, without writing anything to USB Pen drive. I tried Debian live with persistence (not seeing my wificard), Ubuntu (errors occuried) live with persistence, Lubuntu (went out of storage space when installing feed) and Xubuntu with persistence. I have started the feed successfully from the last one but after lock my SD card physically from writing (switch on the card) i crashes and now it don't want to run even when started from scratch.

Windows XP Embedded was so great! If you are not familiar it started from USB Pen Drive as read-only, so the card was safe. When you did some changes like installing the software you just click the option when reboting - commit changes, and then it write to the USB. It was perpetuum mobile. I don't find the linux distro working like that, still.

I'm not familiar with linux, never been. I installed the Dumbp1090 and F24feed only because user : abcd567 made the whole step by step instruction on this forum in the tread: How to set up a feeder using 64-bit Ubuntu Linux on Intel platform.
              How-to-set-up-a-feeder-using-64-bit-Ubuntu-Linux-on-Intel-platform

Please regret the options like buying Raspberry for the feed, and to have second pc with linux to feed from the old one with dump1090. Thin Client has only 1GB RAM, so I bet VM won't work on it.

Why linux is so complicated to build my own live cd with dump and feed and wifi password?
              I sam something like Puppy linux, which is running from RAM, but I can't manage dump to work on it. It must be different method.

Please help if you have a little time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post

I don't think mlat is enabled/valid for basestation/sbs users. Only beast and dump1090

I found out that if you add to a fr24feed.ini file those two bolded phrazes it will show mlat OK.

receiver="beast-tcp"
                fr24key="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
                bs="yes"
                raw="yes"
                mlat="yes"
                mlat-without-gps="yes"

Comment

• Originally posted by Tritium View Post
                  I found out that if you add to a fr24feed.ini file those two bolded phrazes it will show mlat OK.

receiver="beast-tcp"
                  fr24key="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
                  bs="yes"
                  raw="yes"
                  mlat="yes"
                  mlat-without-gps="yes"
                  That isn't a basestation/SBS like I mention.

Comment

• You're right. Besides that, with beast, without these bold lines of code it won't work as I asume when testing on live cd Xubuntu.

Comment

• Thank you abcd567 for your guide. I really appreciate what you do for people like me, without the knowledge of linux systems.
                      I made successful install on xubuntu 18.04.2 and never before have a contact with linux.

I found best option for me to run xubuntu from a live usb on HP Thin Client, which previously with Windows XPe, was working 24/7 and feed the data.

I made with Cubic custom live iso, where I installed and configured dump1090 and fr24feed from a terminal. It started and working without need of any attention.

But I have one problem, I can't manage to configure the custom iso to connect to my wireless network, so I after a boot must open the network manager and connect it manualy with a password. This is a problem because Thin Client stays at attic, with no monitor, nor keyboard.

I'm searching and so far nothings work. Maybe you or someone else will know how to do it.

To be clear: imagine that you configure the new system (xubuntu), with only a terminal view, and you wanted to add a known wireless network (ssid and password, which is not accessible right in the place you configure the system), that when your friend plug the bootable USB with this system wouldn't have do anything, because it will automatically connect itself to his home network.
                      It would be great if this would be a foolproof, that if the router disconnects for a while it will automatically connect again after router will run again. Now when router is down for few minutes, xubuntu doesn't reconnect itself.

Cheers.
                      Last edited by Tritium; 2019-05-15, 12:56.

Comment

• Can you try this:

Bring-up NetworkManager -> (Click on) Edit Connections -> Select the current connection From the list of connections -> (Click) Edit -> (Click) General -> (Checkmark) Automatical connect to this network & All users may connect to this network

I suppose in the final position you run the computer without a screen?
                        You can usually in Settings -> Users enable automatic login for your user.

This could help with WiFi.

There are other ways to do it but they are somewhat more complicated, so try this first.
                        Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-05-15, 16:43.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                          https://www.raspberrypi.org/download...ry-pi-desktop/ seems to be, an emulated pi OS, And therefore the script doesn't seem to have many hiccups. For a Mode-S beast at least
                          You are right. I installed fr24feed armhf.deb on Debian 9.9. It did install after adding architechture armhf, and installing reqired dependencies packages:armhf,۔ After installation, when I tried to run it, found it failed to start (code=exited, status=203/EXEC).

This goes to show that the Raspberry Pi Desktop for PC is armhf compatible, whereas Debian 9.9 is not.

Will try to install armhf on Ubuntu as well, and see what happens.
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2019-05-15, 21:56.

Comment

• As I said I can only manipulate the system from terminal in the phase where I create the ISO file. Not after that.

Do you know how to do this?:
                            imagine that you configure the new system (xubuntu), with only a terminal view, and you wanted to add a known wireless network (ssid and password, which is not accessible right in the place where you configure the system), that when your friend plug the bootable USB with this system wouldn't have do anything, because it will automatically connect itself to his home network.
                            By the way, even when the system is running and I do what you propose when the router is off for a few minutes it won't reconnect.
                            Yes the final position is to run it without a screen. It automatically login itself, so it's not the problem. Thank you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tritium View Post
                              As I said I can only manipulate the system from terminal in the phase where I create the ISO file. Not after that.

Do you know how to do this?:

By the way, even when the system is running and I do what you propose when the router is off for a few minutes it won't reconnect.
                              Yes the final position is to run it without a screen. It automatically login itself, so it's not the problem. Thank you.
                              This tutorial explains how to setup WiFi on a Raspberry Pi without a monitor, keyboard and mouse connected to the Pi. Very easy once you know how.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tritium
                                I don't have raspberry, it's Xubuntu.
                                Perhaps ignore the device and follow the process...

There's a reason i picked the simplest version as a start point. It's Linux. And wpa_suplicant is cross platform.

Xubuntu is based on Ubuntu.

Searching Ubuntu+wpa_suplicant will give you some tutorials to complete the same as pi:

In this tutorial, we are going to learn how to connect to Wi-fi network from the command line on Ubuntu 16.04 server and desktop using wpa_supplicant.

Last edited by Oblivian; 2019-05-16, 10:04.

Comment

Working...
                                X