Windows Setup/Feed Migration (virtualVM) Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wetter-rimbach View Post

Oblivian, thanks, I recognized I might have double-posted but I can share with you, the process for a new registrar like me for posting is absolutely uncomfortable, confusing and unclear to which extend I can post without Mod approval. Including - I have to say - the link posting denial for the four first postings. That doesn't make sense in anyway if you want to refer to other postings and proof you have searched the forum as recommended by the must-reads before posting.
    Rudi
    Sorry you feel that way despite me editing the 'read this' post every time someone brings it up to try and cater for it (4x now)

But understand. I didn't make the rules. I don't know what rules are in place. And more importantly I don't have access to manage them.
    Noone else helps with approving posts.

So I can't make it any better

Despite offering better management methods to prevent link spammers.
    I've done my best to the best of the ability I have at hand to tell people not to use FULL links or @

It's as simple as 'breaking down to text' - removing www. , http:// & https://

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Hi all,

I know, we all follow the rules, but without feedback although you are not the right adressee, there is no chance to change.

To be clear for the subject matter interested, I didn't use a USB hub or similar, it was a short (50cm) 1-1 USB extension cable because the DVB-T stick is too big to fit to the RPI3+ in its housing. That's all. I tried the miserable cable which caused my issue on a RPI2 and it's the same. I think it is maybe a b-quality cable maybe with a small issue on resistance on one of the connections, who knows. Important is that you helped me showing it is not a configuration issue and that I need to search somewhere else, even without saying. So you served the purpose of this board very well.

THANKS A LOT !

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
        I've done my best to the best of the ability I have at hand to tell people not to use FULL links or @

It's as simple as 'breaking down to text' - removing www. , http:// & https://
        I'll try and remind new forum members in case i request console output
        Thank your for all the work approving the posts!

My ranting a couple posts back wasn't directed at you, and no one who could change it will actually read it.
        So it's probably useless but i guess i just needed to vent!

Comment

• Since switching to feeding from linux I've noted an event occurring from time to time. 'Mystats' page shows me as online, but not feeding data. It happened today and availability time line actually shows me off-line for about 20 minutes. When I check the feeder log, it appears to be feeding OK, but on closer inspection it is showing: [feed] sent 0 filtered 20 AC (actual number varies). Rather than restart the feeder I reboot the system and all returns to normal. Does FR24 issue some sort of 'throttle' command and why is there the online/offline contradiction. Reason I ask for input is mainly because I don't recall any issues when running with Windows.

Comment

• Prepare for an Influx of people asking for help. Server connections been switched off

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Stealth View Post
              Since switching to feeding from linux I've noted an event occurring from time to time. 'Mystats' page shows me as online, but not feeding data. It happened today and availability time line actually shows me off-line for about 20 minutes. When I check the feeder log, it appears to be feeding OK, but on closer inspection it is showing: [feed] sent 0 filtered 20 AC (actual number varies). Rather than restart the feeder I reboot the system and all returns to normal. Does FR24 issue some sort of 'throttle' command and why is there the online/offline contradiction. Reason I ask for input is mainly because I don't recall any issues when running with Windows.
              Problem went away after about a week. Now my positions/reports have suddenly increased. Not that I'm bothered about that.

Comment

• Hi Guys,

I'm also affected by this move and being the second largest data feeder in Costa Rica, I feel I am obliged to continue feeding. FR24 support hasn't gotten back to me about sending a Raspberry Pi so I will have to do with what I have.

I used to feed with a Kinetic SBS-1er and the Windows feeder. I have an extra backup receiver (a Kinetic SDR Puck) which also came with a BeagleBone Black which I am currently not using and I believe is similar to a Pi.

I read through the Linux Virtual Machine tutorial and I believe this is the easiest way to get back online but the guide is not very comprehensive and my computer skills are good but I have no idea on how to go through with Linux.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I haven't been able to get past the version of Linux I have to install on the VM.

Any other suggestions I'd really appreciate.

Thanks!
                Tomas.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomascubero View Post
                  Hi Guys,

I'm also affected by this move and being the second largest data feeder in Costa Rica, I feel I am obliged to continue feeding. FR24 support hasn't gotten back to me about sending a Raspberry Pi so I will have to do with what I have.

I used to feed with a Kinetic SBS-1er and the Windows feeder. I have an extra backup receiver (a Kinetic SDR Puck) which also came with a BeagleBone Black which I am currently not using and I believe is similar to a Pi.

I read through the Linux Virtual Machine tutorial and I believe this is the easiest way to get back online but the guide is not very comprehensive and my computer skills are good but I have no idea on how to go through with Linux.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I haven't been able to get past the version of Linux I have to install on the VM.

Any other suggestions I'd really appreciate.

Thanks!
                  Tomas.
                  Yes, the beaglebone comes with basic linux. So if you can work out how to remote SSH it, you can run a FR24 install and be up in minutes

I haven't been able to get past the version of Linux I have to install on the VM.
                  This is the operating system/linux download mentioned in his guide.

The virtual machine installed prior, can open the iso directly as an operating system-inside an operating system.

Comment

Yes, the beaglebone comes with basic linux. So if you can work out how to remote SSH it, you can run a FR24 install and be up in minutes

This is the operating system/linux download mentioned in his guide.

The virtual machine installed prior, can open the iso directly as an operating system-inside an operating system.
                    Thanks Oblivian,

I managed to find this guide which I am currently working on right now:

Our articles usually show you how to do things on a Raspberry Pi. This time, we’re changing things up: we’re going to show you how...

Let me know if I am going on the right direction here. My goal is to not have to use the beaglebone and rather dump using 1090dump I believe its called directly from the Kinetic SBS-1er to the Linux feeder so I don't have to plug new stuff in and have the VM running in the background always which I am fine with.

Thanks again for the help!
                    Tomas.

Comment

• Originally posted by tomascubero View Post
                      Thanks Oblivian,

I managed to find this guide which I am currently working on right now:

Our articles usually show you how to do things on a Raspberry Pi. This time, we’re changing things up: we’re going to show you how...

Let me know if I am going on the right direction here. My goal is to not have to use the beaglebone and rather dump using 1090dump I believe its called directly from the Kinetic SBS-1er to the Linux feeder so I don't have to plug new stuff in and have the VM running in the background always which I am fine with.

Thanks again for the help!
                      Tomas.
                      That should do it. It's just a more detailed mid-step for getting Oracle VM up.

Don't worry about the Dump1090 steps. It's NOT used for non USB-TV stick devices like the SBS.

The only concern becomes if the data is readable from the SBSx as no users have confirmed the .deb version of fr24feed works with them yet

From there. You run a SSH (dos like window) and install FR24feed using the rest of ABCDs instructions

Comment

That should do it. It's just a more detailed mid-step for getting Oracle VM up.

Don't worry about the Dump1090 steps. It's NOT used for non USB-TV stick devices like the SBS.

The only concern becomes if the data is readable from the SBSx as no users have confirmed the .deb version of fr24feed works with them yet

From there. You run a SSH (dos like window) and install FR24feed using the rest of ABCDs instructions
                        Ok copy that! The Linux/Rasberry Pi OS is running so now its on to the feeder steps. I'll reply again if I get stuck. Thanks for helping me.

Tomas.

Comment

• Oh one more thing,

The two guides I've been using are from this post:

The following are tested alternatives for feeding if your receiver was a windows based setup TAKE NOTE: These instructions are not for the feint of heart. They are complex. They do involve some learning Some SBS Receivers are still NOT supported Raspberry PI + DVB Stick + PI24 although come with a cost. May be easier for some

Which should I follow, Option 1 or 2?

OPTION-1:
                          Installing fr24feed Using Linux Binary "fr24feed_1.0.18-5_amd64.tgz"
                          CLICK HERE

OPTION-2:
                          Installing fr24feed Using debian package "fr24feed_1.0.18-5_i386.deb"

Comment

• .deb

raspbian stretch is built around debian.

Comment

.deb

raspbian stretch is built around debian.
                              Great thanks!

Comment

• I am using a DVB-T, so I copied my file which is below. Your file may differ depending on your receiver.
                                I then deletes lines in red and inserted lines in green.
                                Code:
                                receiver="dvbt"
                                receiver="beast-tcp"

fr24key="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"

path="mr-dump1090.exe"
                                host="127.0.0.1:30005"

bs="no"
                                raw="no"
                                logmode="0"
                                procargs="--net --gain -10 --lat 43.5xxx --lon -79.6xxx"
                                mlat="yes"
                                mlat-without-gps="yes"
                                use-http=yes
                                http-timeout=20

This is the contents of my fr24feed.ini file in Windows:

receiver="basestation"
                                fr24key="left blank purposely"
                                host="localhost:30006"
                                bs="no"
                                raw="yes"
                                logmode="1"
                                windowmode="1"
                                mpx="no"
                                mlat="yes"
                                mlat-without-gps="yes"

They differ from the guide... are they ok or should I add or modify the different lines. I am concerned on the host= line as I think that has to change from localhost to 127.0.0.1

Let me know!
                                Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X