• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
    Reading between the lines

No completed config file.

Beast via USB to PC
    PC decoding with planeplotter

Linux on laptop attempting tcp connection to PC.

Of which I outlined an example.

But if not clear enough open to rewording if advised

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
    Current test setup is on a dedicated notebook running current 64 bit Ubuntu release
    Mode-S Beast connected via serial
    Planeplotter running under Wine
    Planefinder linux feeder
    VRS under Wine (to come)

Problem I'm having is that there is a lot of information on many permutations, but finding what's required for my specific need is an issue.

I'm coming the conclusion that I have to adjust the data path from that which exists on my Windows machine. So to go back to basics, do I use FR24feed as the primary decoder, that is reading the Beast on ttyUSB0, then feed the other stuff via TCP?

I can't find the screen dumps at the moment that I assume Oblivian is referring to, so if anyone has configs for the fr24feed.ini and planeplotter that suit it would be appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
      Current test setup is on a dedicated notebook running current 64 bit Ubuntu release
      Planeplotter running under Wine
      Planefinder linux feeder
      VRS under Wine (to come)

Problem I'm having is that there is a lot of information on many permutations, but finding what's required for my specific need is an issue.

I'm coming the conclusion that I have to adjust the data path from that which exists on my Windows machine. So to go back to basics, do I use FR24feed as the primary decoder, that is reading the Beast on ttyUSB0, then feed the other stuff via TCP?

I can't find the screen dumps at the moment that I assume Oblivian is referring to, so if anyone has configs for the fr24feed.ini and planeplotter that suit it would be appreciated.
      Trying to run stuff on wine etc will be adding more layers of difficulty if you have an exisiting working setup. When the feeder can run on Linux, and use data from an In place receiver and decoder over local network

Which is why I mocked up 2 scenarios to choose. No pics as not all setups will work the same (add conjecture if copied) and non members can't see attachments.

So written in textually how a basic point to point would be, ignoring extra software to start with.

Feel free to post/discuss suggestions here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4840#post74840 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/9875-Info-Updates-Ammendments-Placeholder?p=74840#post74840) This guide is not to be taken as officially sourced support information. It is contributor-made Information has been repeated many

It depends on if people have hardware to spare, and wish to continue to use things like SBS audio. or wish to migrate solely to a new non windows device

My own setup I've moved the receiver over too (and gave my example).

And planeplotter etc use network source data.
      The alternative was setup planeplotter as receiver (likely as you have it now) And feeder got data by network out

Last edited by Oblivian; 2019-03-29, 04:50.
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

I'll start out with getting the FR24feed up and running using what you have posted, then build on that. I'm not interested in running two machines, so it will be the FR feed that goes if it can't be done. I'm using existing hardware, so no cost, as opposed to the $125 for the pi and its bits.

Comment

One problem is that it's best to use beast data for feeding other clients as well and fr24feed doesn't provide beast as an output.

Let's just check first that the ModeS beast is present, so could you show the output of:
          Code:
          ls /dev/ttyUSB*
          I would just use beast-splitter, you will have to compile it though:

Code:
          sudo apt-get install build-essential debhelper dh-systemd libboost-system-dev libboost-program-options-dev libboost-regex-dev libboost-filesystem-dev
          git clone https://github.com/flightaware/beast-splitter
          cd beast-splitter
          dpkg-buildpackage -b
          sudo dpkg -i ../beast-splitter_3.7.0_amd64.deb
          Then configure it so that it runs:
          Code:
          sudo nano /etc/default/beast-splitter
          Change the no after ENABLED to yes.
          Ctrl-x to exit, y and enter to save.

Restart beast-splitter so the configuration takes effect and then check the log if it has started properly.
          Code:
          sudo systemctl restart beast-splitter
          sudo journalctl --no-pager -u beast-splitter
          Then you can use this fr24feed.ini:
          Code:
          receiver="beast-tcp"
          fr24key="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
          host="127.0.0.1:30005"
          bs="no"
          raw="no"
          logmode="1"
          logpath="/var/log/fr24feed"
          mlat="yes"
          mlat-without-gps="yes"
          use-http=yes
          http-timeout=20
          You can pfclient the same, point it at 127.0.0.1 on port 30005 for beast data.

If you need other outputs you can change the configuration file so an AVR output is provided as well.

As for the stuff with wine, i have no idea

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
            One problem is that it's best to use beast data for feeding other clients as well and fr24feed doesn't provide beast as an output.
            Errr.. I'm using tcp data on 30334 for exactly that to 3 other clients incl planeplotter and FA (now with mlat since windows feeder never added it) all set to beast input.

It changes roles when not using dump1090 devices.
            Believe toggling raw out keeps it binary when using a beast receiver. It sure not a pre decoded avr text dump and believe Gunter worked with them to get it native.

Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Errr.. I'm using tcp data on 30334 for exactly that to 3 other clients incl planeplotter and FA (now with mlat since windows feeder never added it) all set to beast input.

It changes roles when not using dump1090 devices.
              Believe toggling raw out keeps it binary when using a beast receiver. It sure not a pre decoded avr text dump and believe Gunter worked with them to get it native.
              Yeah didn't know that

In that case that approach is probably easier.

Comment

Output of ls /dev/ttyUSB* is dev/ttyUSB0

I'll review the last few posts and play a bit more. Thanks all for the input.

Comment

fr24feed is now working.

In abdc's post "Manual configuration" with the six steps, one step involved adding 'fr24' as a user. It seems that user fr24 isn't then automatically granted access to tty, so 'sudo usermod -a -G tty fr24' has fixed that and its connected to ttyUSB0 and sending traffic.

Comment

fr24feed is now working.
                    Great! Congratulations.

It will be nice if you please post output of following command so that other users of Beast benefit from it ( replace key by xxxxxx)

Code:
                    cat /etc/fr24feed.ini
                    I believe you have connected your Beast receiver to Linux computer using a USB cable. Am I right?

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                      Great! Congratulations.

It will be nice if you please post output of following command so that other users of Beast benefit from it ( replace key by xxxxxx)

Code:
                      cat /etc/fr24feed.ini
                      I believe you have connected your Beast receiver to Linux computer using a USB cable. Am I right?

Pic example here..

I have a beast..

Feel free to post/discuss suggestions here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4840#post74840 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/9875-Info-Updates-Ammendments-Placeholder?p=74840#post74840) This guide is not to be taken as officially sourced support information. It is contributor-made Information has been repeated many

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                        Great! Congratulations.

Code:
                        cat /etc/fr24feed.ini
                        That is correct. Output is same as Oblivian's screen capture:

receiver="beast"
                        fr24key="xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
                        path="/dev/ttyUSB0"
                        bs="no"
                        raw="yes"
                        baudrate="3000000"
                        logmode="0"
                        mlat="yes"
                        mlat-without-gps="yes"

I have to find a way to elevate the fr24 user level permanently as the usermod entry is lost when the machine is rebooted.

I have moved to the next step of the Planeplotter under Wine install, all is fine until using the wizard to configure the i/o when PP crashes on entry of the 30334 port number with 127.0.0.1.

Comment

Pic example here..

I have a beast..

asset.jpeg.jpg asset.jpeg.jpg asset.jpeg.jpg

Great! Thank you Oblivian.

Comment

That is correct. Output is same as Oblivian's screen capture:

receiver="beast"
                            fr24key="xxxxxxxxxxxxx"
                            path="/dev/ttyUSB0"
                            bs="no"
                            raw="yes"
                            baudrate="3000000"
                            logmode="0"
                            mlat="yes"
                            mlat-without-gps="yes"
                            Great! Thank you Stealth.

asset.jpeg.jpg asset.jpeg.jpg asset.jpeg.jpg

Comment

I have moved to the next step of the Planeplotter under Wine install, all is fine until using the wizard to configure the i/o when PP crashes on entry of the 30334 port number with 127.0.0.1.
                              Be wary you setup the IO to beast tcp, not serial.
                              Then go into receiver - beast - configure tcp and enter there. But leave the raw out section unchecked or it will double up.

That may also be a side effect of running under wine. But never tried.

Comment

You can create a custom udev rule like this:

Code:
                                sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/50-myusb.rules
                                paste the following
                                Code:
                                KERNEL=="ttyUSB[0-9]*",MODE="0666"
                                ctrl-x to exit, y and enter to save.

That should give everyone on the system access to the beast device.

Comment

Working...
                                X