Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Setup/Feed Migration (virtualVM) Assistance

Flight attendant
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
    It has been btw. 2 days ago.

So lots will be looking for a solution now.

Oddly I changed architecture, installed some dependencies into the VM version with raspian and it appears to be installed using the script 0.o

Just got to get home and test it actually receives and uploads

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
    Let me know how that goes so I can give it a try now.

Right now I am not at home. When back home, I will try to install the RPi .deb package (fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb) on Raspbian x86 in VM on Windows by following method (same as for i386.deb package except that the downloaded package is armhf.deb instead of i386.deb).

If successful, it will be a great help for SBS users.

Code:
    # Download RPi .deb package ver 1.0.23.8 from repository
    cd 
    wget -O fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb http://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/rpi_binaries/fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb 

# Check your machine's architecture by command below: 
    uname -m 

# If command "uname -m" outputs "x86_64", then give following two commands 
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 
    sudo apt install libc6:i386 libudev1:i386 zlib1g:i386 libusb-1.0-0:i386 libstdc++6:i386 dirmngr 

# If command "uname -m" does NOT output "x86_64", then give following command 
    sudo apt install libc6 libudev1 zlib1g libusb-1.0-0 libstdc++6 dirmngr 

# After installing dependencies as above, install the downloaded fr24feed ver 1.0.23.8_armhf.deb package

sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb

Super Moderator
    That's pretty much what I followed. And it seemed to start. Just not sure if it will grab/send data yet.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post

GO GET A PI!

The best option, when Windows feeder is discontinued, is to migrate to Raspberry Pi

I have to agree with this, and just a week ago I was going to stop feeding after 5 years because of the switch!! Setting up the PI is trivial and the savings in power is well worth it for people that dedicated an entire PC to feeding FR24! The server I used is still up to I am actually using a bit more juice by adding a PI, but still, the PI solution is superior to the old windows feeder for MLAT alone! I seem to get much better decoding and range with 1.15~dev as well. A side bonus is installing and feeding FA on the same tiny PI is also super easy.

It also feeds ADSBScope rather nicely on port 30002! - adbsscope.jpg

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JackL View Post
    I have to agree with this, and just a week ago I was going to stop feeding after 5 years because of the switch!! Setting up the PI is trivial and the savings in power is well worth it for people that dedicated an entire PC to feeding FR24! The server I used is still up to I am actually using a bit more juice by adding a PI, but still, the PI solution is superior to the old windows feeder for MLAT alone! I seem to get much better decoding and range with 1.15~dev as well. A side bonus is installing and feeding FA on the same tiny PI is also super easy.

It also feeds ADSBScope rather nicely on port 30002! - adbsscope.jpg
    For DVBT, yes. Unfortunately, doesn't help the portion of the 8,000+ sbs models out there that feed fr24. Later models also produce audio for ATC and acars.

Early versions need a windows PC as no onboard decoder. And if you want the graphical feature you tend to have one running 24/7 already. With a pi, often lose that ability totally thanks to the feed sw coding.

Say there was 5% of a 10,000 uploader base on windows and the majority sbs. That's 200 people suddenly not able to use em.

Last edited by Oblivian; 2019-05-09 at 00:45.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    Right now I am not at home. When back home, I will try to install the RPi .deb package (fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb) on Raspbian x86 in VM on Windows by following method (same as for i386.deb package except that the downloaded package is armhf.deb instead of i386.deb).

If successful, it will be a great help for SBS users.

Code:
    # Download RPi .deb package ver 1.0.23.8 from repository
    cd 
    wget -O fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb http://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/rpi_binaries/fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb 

# Check your machine's architecture by command below: 
    uname -m 

# If command "uname -m" outputs "x86_64", then give following two commands 
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 
    sudo apt install libc6:i386 libudev1:i386 zlib1g:i386 libusb-1.0-0:i386 libstdc++6:i386 dirmngr 

# If command "uname -m" does NOT output "x86_64", then give following command 
    sudo apt install libc6 libudev1 zlib1g libusb-1.0-0 libstdc++6 dirmngr 

# After installing dependencies as above, install the downloaded fr24feed ver 1.0.23.8_armhf.deb package

sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb
    As much as I don't want to get into testing also (man there are a lot of different ways to feed if you don't simply have a Pi/USB stick..) ModesMixer looks like it could run on the host and produce workable data that old fr24feed on VM is not restricted to (beast)?

At the same time the application is able to work with hardware Mode-S receivers as modesbeast or SBS-3 with traditional serial (COM Port) connections over USB interface.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
    For DVBT, yes. Unfortunately, doesn't help the portion of the 8,000+ sbs models out there that feed fr24. Later models also produce audio for ATC and acars.

Early versions need a windows PC as no onboard decoder. And if you want the graphical feature you tend to have one running 24/7 already. With a pi, often lose that ability totally thanks to the feed sw coding.

Say there was 5% of a 10,000 uploader base on windows and the majority sbs. That's 200 people suddenly not able to use em.
    I totally understand. Heck I wish I had a Kinetic SBS-3 on my desk!! My point really is that $30 worth of PI is an awesome supplement to any shack no matter what you have already.

Captain
    @Oblivian: you should check which VMware image you started from.

I've read there is an emulation for armhf available so maybe you got one of those images.

You can also use "uname -m" to check the architecture of your VM.

Super Moderator
    Debian with raspian X11. Same as abcds link

Super Moderator
    Well colour me pink

raspian.jpg

(I've still not copy paste between host/virtual working)..

But it continued and hit the shared feed (beastsplitter) and seemed to upload fine.

PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNu/Linux 9 (stretch)"

https://www.raspberrypi.org/download...ry-pi-desktop/ seems to be, an emulated pi OS, And therefore the script doesn't seem to have many hiccups. For a Mode-S beast at least