Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird observation - can't find the plane on flightradar

Hi,

I have observed something very strange yesterday, and I was *not* able to locate / identify the plane with the flightradar app on my phone, or on the website.

Date / Time: March 28, between 13:45 UTC and 14:10 UTC

My Location: 48°16'09.0"N, 7°43'27.7"E (Rust, Germany, about 30km directly south of Strasbourg)

Direction of view: north-east by east (approximately)

Here's what I saw:

A VERY large four engine jet, coming in from the north east, lower than cruising altitude but still quite high, turning a huge circle counterclockwise, and going off back towards north by northeast.

And like I said, I can't find anything on flightradar, and I couldn't back when i saw it.

Ideas/Guesses, anyone?

Cheers
    [L]
    T-EDDS235

Originally posted by lemmy98 View Post
    A VERY large four engine jet, coming in from the north east, lower than cruising altitude but still quite high, turning a huge circle counterclockwise, and going off back towards north by northeast.

And like I said, I can't find anything on flightradar, and I couldn't back when i saw it.

Most likely a military transport, those are not shown on fr24 and flying a circle also fits with training flights that are not uncommon

My guess would be a C17 Globemaster or much less likely a C5 Galaxy.

I guess this wouldn't fit your "very large" description: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-3_Sentry

Comment

Military Aircraft operate Mode Five transponders. Mode Five is Military use only and provides a cryptographically secured version of Mode S and ADS-B positioning along with IFF (Identification Friend or Foe).

IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) is the military designation of the Air Traffic Control (ATC) System that is used to identify and track military aircraft. The system consists of an airborne transponder and a ground (or airborne) interrogator. The system measures the distance and heading to the aircraft, and the transponder encodes identification and position information into the response.
      Last edited by 1090 MHz; 2019-04-05, 03:22.
      www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Working...
      X