Thread: Weird observation - can't find the plane on flightradar

Weird observation - can't find the plane on flightradar

Hi,

I have observed something very strange yesterday, and I was *not* able to locate / identify the plane with the flightradar app on my phone, or on the website.

Date / Time: March 28, between 13:45 UTC and 14:10 UTC

My Location: 48°16'09.0"N, 7°43'27.7"E (Rust, Germany, about 30km directly south of Strasbourg)

Direction of view: north-east by east (approximately)

Here's what I saw:

A VERY large four engine jet, coming in from the north east, lower than cruising altitude but still quite high, turning a huge circle counterclockwise, and going off back towards north by northeast.

And like I said, I can't find anything on flightradar, and I couldn't back when i saw it.

Ideas/Guesses, anyone?

Cheers
    [L]
    T-EDDS235

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmy98 View Post
    A VERY large four engine jet, coming in from the north east, lower than cruising altitude but still quite high, turning a huge circle counterclockwise, and going off back towards north by northeast.

And like I said, I can't find anything on flightradar, and I couldn't back when i saw it.

Most likely a military transport, those are not shown on fr24 and flying a circle also fits with training flights that are not uncommon

My guess would be a C17 Globemaster or much less likely a C5 Galaxy.

I guess this wouldn't fit your "very large" description: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_E-3_Sentry

Military Aircraft operate Mode Five transponders. Mode Five is Military use only and provides a cryptographically secured version of Mode S and ADS-B positioning along with IFF (Identification Friend or Foe).

http://www.telinstrument.com/avionic...nd-future.html
    Last edited by 1090 MHz; 2019-04-05 at 03:22.