Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There would have been other software installed. To do data format conversions.

The only sure fire way is producing beast format data. How one gets there varies.

But a pro stick blue if you want to invest. A Chinese one if you don't. There is a dongle requirements post outlining the words to look out for

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
      The only sure fire way is producing beast format data. How one gets there varies.
      Using that thread I did manage to get PF to "listen" to the Puck by finding what port it was on (ttyUSB1). So, it works, BUT we have the issue that we need to "translate" the Puck's data to beast format, so that the other feeders can read it. Any threads I can research?

And, does PiAware or dump1090 have a command-line setting where I could try and have it hear data from ttyUSB1 and see if MAYBE it works? I guess I could also try installing the FR24feeder as well as that does work with Basestation as I am currently using the other receiver and the VM to do it.

Cheers.

Comment

Found this in an older post:

You can use PUCK1090 with Pi.

Use modesmixer2 to "read" Puck, then install FR24 feeder as avr-tcp and connect iz to modesmixer2.
        |

So, maybe if I install modesmixer2 on the Pi and have it "translate" the Puck's data, I should be able to feed everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
          pro stick blue if you want to invest.
          Is it this one?

And, would I be able to feed anyone I want or just FA?

Comment

Originally posted by tomascubero View Post
            And, would I be able to feed anyone I want or just FA?
            The Pro Stick's just an SDR (receiver).

You can use it however you wish and share data with anyone who provides suitable software to work with it. Not just FA.
            Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

And, does PiAware or dump1090 have a command-line setting where I could try and have it hear data from ttyUSB1 and see if MAYBE it works?
              Code:
              sudo piaware-config receiver-type [rtlsdr, beast, radarcape, relay, other] (default is rtlsdr)

sudo piaware-config receiver-host [hostname or IP]

sudo piaware-config receiver-port [port number]
              Receiver Types

RTL-SDR
              This is the traditional setup with a RTL-SDR dongle directly connected to the Pi. PiAware will connect to localhost:30005 for ADS-B data. Set "receiver-type" to "rtlsdr" and (on SD card image installs only) configure the other rtlsdr-* values if needed.

SDR (UAT mode only)
              This is the traditional setup with a RLT-SDR dongle directly connected to the Pi for 978 UAT. PiAware will connect to localhost:30978 for 978 UAT data. See 978 UAT Settings section below for instructions to configure PiAware for UAT mode.

Beast (SD card image installs only)
              This configures PiAware to talk to a Mode S Beast connected by USB directly to the Pi. Set "receiver-type" to "beast". No further configuration is needed.

Radarcape (SD card image installs only)
              This configures PiAware to talk to a separate Radarcape over the network. Set "receiver-type" to "radarcape" and "radarcape-host" to the hostname or IP address of the Radarcape.

External receiver - Relayed connection (SD card image installs only)
              This configures PiAware to talk to an external receiver or other ADS-B source over the network. The receiver needs to provide data in the Beast binary format over TCP. Set "receiver-type" to "relay" and "receiver-host" / "receiver-port" to the host/port to connect to. PiAware will establish a single TCP connection to the receiver and internally relay data to the local map display, faup1090 and mlat-client as needed.

External receiver - Direct connection
              This configures PiAware to talk to an external receiver or other ADS-B source over the network. The receiver needs to provide data in the Beast binary format over TCP. Set "receiver-type" to "other" and "receiver-host" / "receiver-port" to the host/port to connect to. PiAware will establish multiple TCP connections to the receiver. It will not forward data to the local map display or the standard ports. It does nothing extra beyond consuming the data from an existing source and forwarding it to FlightAware. This option requires more network bandwidth than the "relayed connection" mode and doesn't arrange for the local map to be fed, but it will work on package installs. It can also be used to connect to a receiver running locally on the Pi that's not covered by the other options.

SOURCE:
              PiAware 3 Advanced Configuration

Comment

The best cost for performance is probably the green dongle from here: https://www.radarbox24.com/store

Alternatively there is the blue FA ProStickPlus, but in some areas that needs another filter in front of it to work well.

Producing beast protocol from basestation should get you banned from the sites that don't accept the basesation protocol.
                Because that's exactly what they want to avoid: Being fed basestation data.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                  The best cost for performance is probably the green dongle from here: https://www.radarbox24.com/store

Alternatively there is the blue FA ProStickPlus, but in some areas that needs another filter in front of it to work well.
                  Fully agree.
                  I use both the Flightaware ProStick Plus (blue), and Radarbox24 FlightStick (green).

The green one (RB) works OK without external filter

The blue one (FA) works ok after I added an external filter.

The reason is that in these two dongles, the SAW filter chip is located differently.

RB FlightStick (green):
                  RF in >> SAW filter >> LNA >> Generic dvbt

FA ProStick Plus (blue):
                  RF in >> LNA >> SAW filter >> Generic dvbt

As a result the LNA of FA stick gets overloaded by Cell/Mobile signal, while the LNA of RB stick does not as the SAW has already removed the cell/mobile signals. Adding an external filter with FA stick eliminates overload of LNA.

Comment

maybe if I install modesmixer2 on the Pi
                    https://github.com/abcd567a/mm2/blob/master/README.md

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                      Producing beast protocol from basestation should get you banned from the sites that don't accept the basesation protocol.
                      All I needed to hear. I went ahead and bought a green stick from Radarbox. Should have it by mid-november so will wait till then to continue fiddling with the beaglebone, I guess with that stick, setup should be very simple for all feeders. Thanks again for all your help, it really is priceless.

Comment

I guess with that stick, setup should be very simple for all feeders.
                        Following is the method for decoder & feeders installation for RPi with Raspbian Stretch or Buster.
                        As Beaglebone Black has same CPU architecture (arm7) as RPi has, it should be OK for Beaglebone Black with a Debian Stretch or Buster based OS.

STEP-1: Decoder installation
                        You have to first install a decoder of your choice such as dump1090-mutability v 1.15~dev, or dump1090-fa, or ModeSDeco2 etc.

STEP-2: Feeder installation
                        • FR24 Feeder
                          Code:
                          sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
                          During configuration:
                          Do NOT select Receiver "1 - DVBT Stick (USB)".
                          Select "4 - ModeS Beast (USB/Network)".

FR24 settings - External dump1090 - BEAST-TCP.png

• Flightaware Feeder
                          Code:
                          wget http://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.7.2_all.deb 

sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_3.7.2_all.deb 

sudo apt-get update 

sudo apt-get install piaware 

sudo piaware-config allow-auto-updates yes 

sudo piaware-config allow-manual-updates yes 

## If you already have a flightaware feeder id
                          ## (replace xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx by actual feeder id)

sudo piaware-config feeder-id xxxxxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxxxxxxxx

• Planefinder Feeder
                          Code:
                          wget http://client.planefinder.net/pfclient_4.1.1_armhf.deb 

sudo dpkg -i pfclient_4.1.1_armhf.deb
                          After installation of pfclient is completed, go to following address in your browser to complete sign-in/sign-up:

Choose following settings:
                          Receiver data format = Beast
                          IP address = 127.0.0.1
                          Port number = 30005
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2019-10-22, 17:10.

Comment

Originally posted by sazehgostar
                          I fear giving too many options is going to bring another layer of issues and tricks to get around that won't be officially supported.

Already seeing users now alerted to its demise with low post count attempt and create new 'help me' threads.
                          Oblivian:
                          Sazehgostar seems right.
                          I feel this thread should be made un-sticky now. What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post

Oblivian:
                            Sazehgostar seems right.
                            I feel this thread should be made un-sticky now. What do you think?
                            SEO spam account. It copy pasted post from first page
                            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Hi,

I have installed Dump1090 and FR24 on a Windows 10 machine running VM Virtualbox according to instructions in the beginning. This gave me the EB version of Dump1090 and Linux/generic/i686/1.0.18-5 version of FR24,

It seems to be running well, I get the same range in local Dump1090 map/data as before, running on RPi.

But, I have 2 problems:

1. When a flight is approaching, I receive all data EXCEPT position for a long time (sometimes after 500-1000 msgs received as can be seen in DUMP1090). Is this info sent more seldom or?? any explanation why this happens?

2. In FR24 statistics webpage, I never see the MAXRANGE reported in Dump1090. Example, I followed one AC with steady reception up to 240 nm but at the end of the day, FR24 statistics showed only 199 nm. I know the UTC time difference can affect reporting but this was within the same 24hr window on that day.
                              Are there any known bugs in this feeder ? Or any explation to this ??
                              I think there are no upgrades that can be done for the software when running on 386 machine ??

Thanks in advance for any inputs on the above!
                              Last edited by fjuppe; 2020-04-24, 04:51.

Comment

2021 October. For those following these instructions, I finally managed to start contributing.

My setup:
                                • Windows 10 Desktop PC (intel)
                                • Noolec SmartTee USB RTL-SDR (v2)
                                • Oracle VirtualBox
                                • OS is Debian Buster with Raspberry Pi Desktop (OS Obtained from raspberrypi website at link from OP)
                                • Previous BASIC FR24 user
                                Just to recap how I did it (~2 hours on and off):
                                1. Installed Oracle Virtual Box with Extension Pack
                                2. Changed BIOS to enable Intel Hardware Virtualization
                                3. Downloaded the OS provided by Raspberry Pi (~3GB download)
                                4. Created a new virtual machine (VM) through Oracle
                                5. Installed Raspberry Pi OS -- took a few minutes to do this, followed the instructions provided by OP
                                6. Configured VM to bridge Network Adapter so that I could use all of the Internets!
                                7. After OS was installed, went through all the setup prompts.
                                8. Installed VirtualBox Guest Additions (had issues here with the commands, had to look up a separate way on Google)
                                9. Attached my USB RTL-SDR and configured Oracle VM to use it
                                10. Installed dump1090-mutability (lots of setup prompts here so be careful, left everything at basically default)
                                11. Installed fr24feed using OPTION 3 from OP (Here is where I added my email that is associated to by FR24 account)
                                12. Accessed localhost to see that I was contributing, I had already picked up 3 aircraft
                                13. Got an email saying I've been upgraded to Business!

Tip 1: if you get permission denied or some warnings saying something can't be installed, use "sudo -i" to get root access and then start issuing your commands.
                                Tip 2: In My Feeder settings, I left Receiver as "DVBT Stick" and saw no issues. OP says to switch to Mode S Beast. YMMV.

When the RPI's are back in stock, I will be buying one and switching over for efficiency.

Hope this helps someone else. Big thanks to OP for getting me started.

Comment

Working...
                                X