Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just spotted Khan reading this thread, I had forgotten about it (it was 2 years ago..)

Someone must have approached support about their SBS concerns

https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ivers-RPI-only!

Note the version, 1.0.19-2 (newer than 18.5 in the official download page) with specific SBS adjustments made. Which were later put into the RPi version

So for the linux (non Pi) minded SBS users, that may also be the go (if it isn't about to be removed)

However, I would much perfer some feedback over the 2 alternate PI+Existing basestation/Windows methods
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2019-03-26, 10:39.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Dev Null the FR24 address on the router and continue life.

Put it this way, you are 5%, not worth to care about, so go feed others without a change.
      Last edited by Asuka; 2019-03-26, 11:12.

Comment

The how-to I have posted in this thread are:

Option-1:
        Using Linux binary "fr24feed_1.0.18-5_amd64.tgz".
        This method I have tested on Debian 9, five months ago on Nov 05, 2018 (CLICK HERE).

Option-2:
        Using debian package "fr24feed_1.0.18-5_i386.deb".
        This method I have tested on Ubuntu 18.04, last month on Feb 14, 2019 (CLICK HERE)

Yesterday I repeated both the options on Ubuntu Bionic 18.04, and both installs succeeded without any problems.

fr24feed_1.0.18-5_amd64.tgz
        bionic-1.png

fr24feed_1.0.18-5_i386.deb
        bionic-2.png

Comment

@abcd567
          I followed your manual install steps 1-6 on a current release Ubuntu installation and it worked fine, bar the odd typo :-)

Downside is that I'm not sure I can be bothered spending the significant time required to get my current Windows feeds and other progs running under Wine, so I may have to forego the FR24 feed.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
            @abcd567
            I followed your manual install steps 1-6 on a current release Ubuntu installation and it worked fine, bar the odd typo :-)

Downside is that I'm not sure I can be bothered spending the significant time required to get my current Windows feeds and other progs running under Wine, so I may have to forego the FR24 feed.
            You can still run all the windows stuff (I am) just as you are now.

And simply use the linux variant of fr24feed to grab some outputted data via network and feed it.

You only need 1 receiver. No matter the platform it's direct connected to, Software combinations and data use after the fact is endless.
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

For help with issues arising from completing any of the options suggested here.

Please use https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ion-Assistance

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                You can still run all the windows stuff (I am) just as you are now.

And simply use the linux variant of fr24feed to grab some outputted data via network and feed it.

You only need 1 receiver. No matter the platform it's direct connected to, Software combinations and data use after the fact is endless.
                But that'd upset abcd567's calculations for electricity saved because you'd have to have two computers running all the time!

My feeding laptop is quite old (Probook - 2 core pentium - no additional graphics memory - Win7) and having installed VirtualBox and tried various flavours of Linux (Raspbian/Mint Debian/Debian3) I've decided the overheads are just too much for it. Possibly tweaking VB would help a bit - don't know - but it's painfully slow.

Anyway I have an old Pi version 1 which had overloaded USB problems - it still works so a cheap powered USB hub should get it going again. But I think those who bought 2010 HP Mini's or other such things to feed will either have to install Linux and forget Windows or just give up.

Comment

Originally posted by aka_pseudonym View Post
                  My feeding laptop is quite old (Probook - 2 core pentium - no additional graphics memory - Win7) and having installed VirtualBox and tried various flavours of Linux (Raspbian/Mint Debian/Debian3) I've decided the overheads are just too much for it. Possibly tweaking VB would help a bit - don't know - but it's painfully slow..
                  If you run Linux on a slow computer in VirtualBox it would be advisable not to run a graphical interface.
                  That should very much save on resources.

Running dump1090 under windows and using virtualbox only for fr24feed should run fine?
                  Maybe i'm too optimistic.

Comment

If cost of a Pi is the issue, then I have found a cost effective solution.
                    (This is not an advertisement or promotion of a product. It is meant to help others from my experience and findings)

In 2015 I have purchased a low-cost computer board "Orange Pi PC" from Ali Express, and it is still running strong and feeding 24/7 to FlightRadar24, FlightAware, PlaneFinder, and RadarBox24.

Today I checked Ali Express again, and found following:

(1) Orange Pi PC board's Set-5, which consists of (computer board + 5V dc adapter + plastic case), for US$28.73 including postage.

(2) Another slightly cheaper one "Orange Pi One" is also there. Its Set-5 (board + 5V dc adaptor + plastic case) is available for US$23.38 including postage.

For first-time buyers, Ali Express is giving a US$5 discount coupon, which makes these sets $5 less than above prices, a very affordable and lucrative solution for migration from Windows to Pi.

Orange PI One RAM is 512 Mb, USB ports=1
                    Orange Pi PC RAM is 1 GB, USB ports=3

Operating System: Armbian
                    - OrangePi PC: https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-pc/

- OrangePi One: https://www.armbian.com/orange-pi-one/

OrangePi PC set-5.png OrangPi One Set 5.png

More powerful and costlier models of Orange Pi are also available. See this site.

EDIT:
                    I forgot to mention that in addition to above set, you will also have to purchase a 8 or 16 Gb microSD card (about $5~10)

Last edited by abcd567; 2019-04-01, 02:17.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567
                      The down side is that Chinese sent me the Orange Pi PC Set by a sail boat. It took the sail boat about one-and-a-half months to cross the Pacific Ocean and reach west coast of Canada.
                      Interesting alternative. Is it acceptable for MLAT? I'm back to using an original Pi version 1 at the moment and on the settings page it says "Participate in MLAT calculations (requires at least Raspberry Pi B+ or later)" which mine isn't.

Comment

Orange PiPC I am using since last 4 years, has capabilities similar to RPi 2B.
                        I always keep MLAT=yes, never had any problem.

Comment

Just need someone with an sbs to test the data can be read now

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

For those, who runs Windows 10: you can try using new WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux) instead of monkeying around with heavy virtual machines such as Oracle VM.

Choose Option 1 or Option 2 from the post at the beginning of this topic (#post116967, sorry, I am not allowed to post links as a newbie), but instead of Oracle VM prepare the running Ubuntu using the following manual http://notebookcheck.net/How-to-run-....282676.0.html

I've not checked it on my own, but will probably try to prove a concept.
                            Last edited by Oblivian; 2019-05-13, 06:31.

Comment

Looks a good option for a web developer wanting easy access to both platforms, but its limited and its still Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                                STEP (1) - Install Oracle VM on Windows Computer.
                                Could the installation succeed on the "Ubuntu Bash for Windows", if you are running Windows 10?
                                Most guides on the Internet refer to the Ubuntu installation, which I use for normal processing. I have a Raspberry PiAware already, so I was just visiting in this thread.

That might be less overhead than VirtualPC, and might have lower hardware requirements.

Comment

Working...
                                X