How does my data contribute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does my data contribute?

Couldn't find this exact question in Search, so giving it a shot here...

I'm curious if there's information somewhere about how data from people's feeds to FR24 from dump1090-fa is aggregated/formulated into what you see on the FR24 maps. If so, can someone point me to it, because I would be interested to understand more about how it works?

Reason I ask:

I just watched a C17 military aircraft on my FlightAware PiAware Skyview map that was being picked up by my antenna as it flew fly across Long Island, NY and up into Connecticut for several minutes before my antenna lost it. All during this time I was watching, this plane did not appear on my FR24 map of that area that was open in another browser window. So I was tracking it with my setup and feeding it to FR24, but it was not on their map. I'm curious to know why that was....

Any info would be great!

Thanks, John

Because it's a us military airframe, they are dropped/ignored at fr24

You would be seeing local data with no position, but FA feed back the mlat calculated positions to their feeders

Fr is public facing only

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Got it. Understood, and thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
        You would be seeing local data with no position, but FA feed back the mlat calculated positions to their feeders
        Oblivian is correct about FR24 not displaying miliary flights, unless it overlooks them in error.

But for the record, I'm tracking USAF C17's here in the UK that are transmitting ADS-B positional data. Not MLAT calculated positions. FR24 doesn't display them either.
        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Anmer....Would definitely still be interested in understanding how all of this data is processed by FR24 and presented to the end users, if anyone knows of a link that explains that.

Comment

Something like this?

Feel free to post/discuss suggestions here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4840#post74840 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/9875-Info-Updates-Ammendments-Placeholder?p=74840#post74840) This guide is not to be taken as officially sourced support information. It is contributor-made Information has been repeated many

Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Yes Oblivian, that's in the neighborhood of what I was looking for, thanks. Very cool to see the different data streaming off the planes. This line at that link also confirmed what I was thinking: "Much of the data you see on FlightRadar (or any track sites) is a mixture of received transponder data, database and 3rd party information grouped to populate the additional fields and calculated data". I was trying to understand how what we see on the FR24 maps was getting there, and I was figuring there must be third party data amalgamated in there as well. Thanks.

Comment

Some sites may use purely provided. Some use their own databases. Some use a mixture

That's why copy pasting someone else's info to fix details isn't always the best (and against many terms and conditions) idea and I suggest people use official authority searches where possible

Comment

Could have also elaborated more about how although we may be a single feeder among 200+, all those position plots from everyone are likely dumped into a temp table of it's own per aircraft and sorted /arranged before the calculations are done and displayed on the page

Impressive when you think about it. But most people just see the page and don't take how much data mashing is going on in the background

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                    Could have also elaborated more about how although we may be a single feeder among 200+, all those position plots from everyone are likely dumped into a temp table of it's own per aircraft and sorted /arranged before the calculations are done and displayed on the page

Impressive when you think about it. But most people just see the page and don't take how much data mashing is going on in the background

Yeah...That's what I was thinking too. e.g., A group of receivers are overlapping in an area and all of those feeds are taken, matched up against each other for determination and reliability, possibly mixed with additional data, and then a final plot for a plane at a point in time is concluded.

It is indeed impressive....for the whole fleet.....all over the world, simultaneously. Great stuff...

Comment

Working...
                    X