Thread: Mode S Beast switch Windows to Raspberry Pi handholding instructions please 😀

Question Mode S Beast switch Windows to Raspberry Pi handholding instructions please 😀

Hi

I have a Mode S Beast with external antenna, connected to my Widows computer and feeding FR24. Have had for years, with the occasional break.

I'm wanting to change my setup to use a spare Raspberry Pi that I have hanging around. This is because the Windows feed for FR24 is being depricated. I would also like to keep MLAT available.

I have done a fair bit of reading around the FR24 website including this forum, but have struggled a bit because much of the information is about connecting via a SDR rather than via a Mode-S Beast. Some stuff about connecting via the Mode-S Beast on the Raspberry Pi seems quite old.

I suspect I have missed something somewhere that explains what to do in comparative laypersons terms. I'm not a complete layperson because I am relatively familiar with Linux and have played with my Pi in previous years, but I have no idea whatsoever how to interface the Mode S Beast to the Pi for feeding FR24.

If there is such guidance that I've missed, I'd be very grateful to anybody who can point me to it please? .

Or if not, some pointers would be great.

Thank you!

Captain
    I'm not sure if it works under linux but i suspect it does:

https://feed.flightradar24.com/fr24feed-manual.pdf

Installation is described and configuration as well.

Mode-S beast directly connected should be page 25 but i'm not sure what you need to enter for a com port.
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-03-22 at 13:08.

@kingqueen
    Here are the "handholding instructions" you have requested.

1 - Installation of Operating System

1.1 - Download Raspbian Lite image (zip) on your Desktop/Laptop.

Download page: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/

Direct download link: https://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian_lite_latest

1.2 - Unzip downloaded file to get .img file.

1.3 - Insert microSD Card in your Desktop/Laptop’s card slot (or use a card reader plugged into USB Port).

1.4 - Write the unzipped Raspbian Lite image to microSD Card using Win32DiskImager or Etcher.

1.5 - After image is written, in Windows/MAC File Explorer, double click the drive letter of microSD card. This will open the folder /boot and show lots of files and some folders.

• To enable SSH:
      Windows: In File Explorer, double click the drive letter of microSD card. This will open the folder /boot and show lots of files and some folders. Right click in /boot folder, and create a new blank text file and name it ssh.

Mac: Open terminal and give following command
      touch /Volumes/boot/ssh

• To enable Wifi on first boot (Do NOT execute this step if you are using a wired network connection to RPi):
      Windows: In File Explorer, double click the drive letter of microSD card. This will open the folder /boot and show lots of files and some folders. Right click in /boot folder and create a new blank file named wpa_supplicant.conf. If your Desktop/Laptop does not show file extensions, configure Windows File explorer to show file extensions. If the file has a hidden extension .txt, it will not enable wifi.

Alternatively you can create this file by giving following command in Windows command prompt console, which will create file with correct extension:
      C:\Windows\System32>echo > M:\wpa_supplicant.conf
      (Replace letter M by drive letter of your microSD Card in Windows)

touch /Volumes/boot/wpa_supplicant.conf
      Open the Finder program. Select the Micro SD card device labelled "boot". Open the file "wpa_supplicant.conf" in TextEdit.

Windows & Mac: In the opened blank file wpa_supplicant.conf, copy paste following text:

Code:
    network={
        ssid="YOUR_SSID"
        psk="YOUR_PASSWORD"
    }
    Replace YOUR_SSID by your router’s wifi ssid, and YOUR_PASSWORD by your router’s wifi password.
    Save file. On boot, wifi login info will be automatically copied into file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf, enabling wifi on first boot.

1.6 - Remove microSD card from card reader, insert into Pi, power up, and SSH.

2 - Installation and configuration of FR24 Feeder

2.1 - Connect your Mode S Beast to Raspberry Pi using a USB Cable.

2.2 - SSH to RPi and give following command to install fr24feed:

Code:
    sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
    2.3 - During execution of above command, fr24feed will present a signup wizard, asking for email, sharing key, latitude, longitude, antenna height etc. Provide all these details.

2.4 - After sign-up details, it will ask choice for receiver configuration details, as shown below.
    Note:
    As I do NOT have Mode S Beast, I cannot tell with surety what selections to be made.
    The selections I have shown below are my guess only.
    @Oblivian or @Khan can tell what are the correct selections.

Step 4.1 - Receiver selection (in order to run MLAT please use DVB-T stick with dump1090 utility bundled with fr24feed):

1 - DVBT Stick (USB)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    2 - SBS1/SBS1er (USB/Network)
    3 - SBS3 (USB/Network)
    4 - ModeS Beast (USB/Network)
    5 - AVR Compatible (DVBT over network, etc)
    6 - microADSB (USB/Network)
    7 - SBSx via Basestation (localhost:30006)

Enter your receiver type (1-7)$: 4

Step 4.2 - Please select connection type:

1 - Network connection
    2 - USB directly to this computer

Enter your connection type (1-2)$: 2

Step 4.3A - Please enter your receiver's COM port number/device path
    $:
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-03-22 at 19:37.

@kingqueen
    An Easier Method. Use PI24 image

1 - Installation of Operating System - PI24 Image

1.1 - Download PI24 image (zip) on your Desktop/Laptop.

Download page: https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own

Direct download link: http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com/r...latest.img.zip

1.2 - Unzip downloaded file to get .img file.

1.3 - Insert microSD Card in your Desktop/Laptop’s card slot (or use a card reader plugged into USB Port).

1.4 - Write the unzipped PI24 image to microSD Card using Win32DiskImager or Etcher.

1.5 - To enable Wifi on first boot (Do NOT execute this step if you are using a wired network connection to RPi):
    Windows: In File Explorer, double click the drive letter of microSD card. This will open the folder /boot and show lots of files and some folders. Right click in /boot folder and create a new blank file named wpa_supplicant.conf. If your Desktop/Laptop does not show file extensions, configure Windows File explorer to show file extensions. If the file has a hidden extension .txt, it will not enable wifi.

Alternatively you can create this file by giving following command in Windows command prompt console, which will create file with correct extension:
    C:\Windows\System32>echo > M:\wpa_supplicant.conf
    (Replace letter M by drive letter of your microSD Card in Windows)

touch /Volumes/boot/wpa_supplicant.conf
    Open the Finder program. Select the Micro SD card device labelled "boot". Open the file "wpa_supplicant.conf" in TextEdit.

Windows & Mac: In the opened blank file wpa_supplicant.conf, copy paste following text: [/list]
    Code:
    network={
        ssid="YOUR_SSID"
        psk="YOUR_PASSWORD"
    }
    Replace YOUR_SSID by your router’s wifi ssid, and YOUR_PASSWORD by your router’s wifi password.
    Save file. On boot, wifi login info will be automatically copied into file /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf, enabling wifi on first boot.

1.6 - Remove microSD card from card reader, insert into Pi, power up, and SSH.

2 - Configuration of FR24 Feeder

Note: You dont have to install FR24 feeder, as it is pre-installed in PI24 image. You have only to signup and configure.

2.1 - Connect your Mode S Beast to Raspberry Pi using a USB Cable.

2.2 - SSH to RPi and give following command to install fr24feed:

Code:
    sudo fr24feed --signup
    2.3 - During execution of above command, fr24feed will present a signup wizard, asking for email, sharing key, latitude, longitude, antenna height etc. Provide all these details.

2.4 - After sign-up details, it will ask choice for receiver configuration details, as shown below.
    Note:
    As I do NOT have Mode S Beast, I cannot tell with surety what selections to be made.
    The selections I have shown below are my guess only.
    @Oblivian or @Khan can tell what are the correct selections.

Step 4.1 - Receiver selection (in order to run MLAT please use DVB-T stick with dump1090 utility bundled with fr24feed):

1 - DVBT Stick (USB)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    2 - SBS1/SBS1er (USB/Network)
    3 - SBS3 (USB/Network)
    4 - ModeS Beast (USB/Network)
    5 - AVR Compatible (DVBT over network, etc)
    6 - microADSB (USB/Network)
    7 - SBSx via Basestation (localhost:30006)

Enter your receiver type (1-7)$: 4

Step 4.2 - Please select connection type:

1 - Network connection
    2 - USB directly to this computer

Enter your connection type (1-2)$: 2

Step 4.3A - Please enter your receiver's COM port number/device path
    $:

Super Moderator
    Default device for the com port field should be (beast device)

/dev/ttyUSB0

However, if the feed fails. There are Additional to locate correct USB/Dev details

Check for detection:
    sudo lsusb
    Result:
    Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0403:6001 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232 USB-Serial (UART) IC

Check for port details:
    dmesg | grep tty
    Result:
    usb 1-1.2: FTDI USB Serial Device converter now attached to ttyUSB0

This is used in the "COM/DEV/PATH:" field (case sensitive)
    /dev/ttyUSB0

(if someone could run this with a SBS plugged in and get the outputs it may assist other users who don't use the radio function)
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2019-03-22 at 22:49.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers