This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by esom View Post
    I am NOT happy at all after being forced to change from Windows to Raspberry Pi with Pi24 image. Receiver is SBS-3 connected via TCP
    Raspberry Pi stops randomly sometimes once a day sometimes after few days. The device stops completely and doesn't respond neither to Putty nor to ping.. Only solution is power off and restart. Being a person without any RasPI or Linux experience I have no idea what to do? On the other hand I am a frequent traveller and not at home always to restart the device manually. At least the Windows, basestation, SBS-3 worked perfectly once the automatic windows update was disabled during my travels.
    Any ideas or little help into which log files I could have a look will be very much appreciated.
    I'm not a Raspberry user, but from my readings the three potential fail areas for them are, power supply, SD Card and finally hardware failure. The last issue does not seem as common as the first two.
    Its unfortunate that you have already spent the money on the hardware, but an alternative is stick with Windows, then run linux and the FR24 feeder on a virtual machine. I've been running it for 10 days now and the only downtime has been at FR24's end. Everything starts up after power outages automatically, including the linux and feeder on the VM.

Comment

I am NOT happy at all after being forced to change from Windows to Raspberry Pi with Pi24 image. Receiver is SBS-3 connected via TCP
      Raspberry Pi stops randomly sometimes once a day sometimes after few days. The device stops completely and doesn't respond neither to Putty nor to ping.. Only solution is power off and restart. .
      Once had the problem of my RasPi randomly disconnecting from WiFi and not reconnecting.

But that isn't necessarily your problem so let's make the logs permantent (normally they only live in the RAM).

For that we first need to check that the sd-card isn't mounted read-only, can you show the output of:

Code:
      cat /etc/fstab
      mount | grep mmc
      sudo mount -o remount ,rw /
      The last command makes sure you can write to the sd-card so the following changes to journald (making logs permantent) will stick:

Code:
      sudo nano /etc/systemd/journald.conf
      Change 
      #Storage=auto
      to
      Storage=persistent
      (remove the #, otherwise the line will be ignored)
      Ctrl-o and enter to save, Ctrl-x to exit.

Apply the journald changes:
      Code:
      sudo systemctl restart systemd-journald
      After the next problem and power cycle you should be able to check for example dhcpcd logs:

Code:
      sudo journalctl -eu dhcpcd -b -1
      -b -1 means that it shows the log from the previous startup and -e is for scrolling to the end.
      So in case WiFi not reconnecting is the problem it should show here.

Note that in case the sd-card is always mounted read-only you'll have to change that so it continues to write logs after a reboot.
      (changing to read write was only for the current boot)

Comment

Thanks to Stealth and Wiedehopf. I have am not using Wifi, LAN connection is via cable. An expert friend of mine looked into log files and said that device is disconnecting from LAN and not returning, which is very similar to Wiedehopf's Wifi problem. He will pass by today and help me by writing a script to automatically restart the device every 6 hours, which I hope will solve the problem temporarily until I find the real cause. By the way what was the cause of your random Wifi disconnection?

Comment

He will pass by today and help me by writing a script to automatically restart the device every 6 hours, which I hope will solve the problem temporarily until I find the real cause. By the way what was the cause of your random Wifi disconnection?
          I'm not quite sure what the reason was but my problem is gone now.

But restarting every 6 hours is a little crude and i already have a better script written for myself, you can use it like this:
          (the mount line is just to make sure that the sd-card isn't read-only)

Code:
          sudo nano /root/.pingfail.bash
          Copy and paste the following:
          Code:
          #!/bin/bash
          ROUTER="192.168.2.1"
          exec &>>/var/log/pingfail
          sleep 30
          if ! [[ -a /tmp/pingfailed ]] && ! ping $ROUTER -c5 >/dev/null
          then
          	echo "Restarting dhcpcd; could not reach $ROUTER"
          	systemctl restart dhcpcd
          	date
          	touch /tmp/pingfailed
          	sleep 300
          	rm /tmp/pingfailed
          fi
          On the second line change the Ip-address after ROUTER to your routers IP address.
          (The script will be run every minute and when it can't reach that IP address of the router it will restart dhcpcd which manages network connections on Raspbian)
          (You should probably test if you can ping that IP address otherwise it will restart networking every 5 minutes)

Code:
          sudo crontab -e
          choose nano if asked
          with arrow keys go all the way down and press enter to make a new line
          paste the following:
          Code:
          *   *   *   *   *     /bin/bash /root/.pingfail.bash

Now you should be all set and have a nice workaround that restarts the relevant network stuff when the connection is interrupted.

You could try to update to the latest firmware / software if you want:
          Code:
          sudo apt update
          sudo apt dist-upgrade
          sudo apt install rpi-update
          sudo rpi-update
          (type y for yes :) )
          sudo reboot
          Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-04-13, 10:57.

Comment

reading wiedehopf's valuable suggestions, we have implemented following solution:
            - enabled SD card write
            - disabled DHCP and changed RasPi to a fixed IP address
            - a script is running every five minutes pinging the router
            - when ping fails network services will be restarted

I will continue observing
            Thanks a lot for the support

Comment

- disabled DHCP and changed RasPi to a fixed IP address
              - a script is running every five minutes pinging the router
              - when ping fails network services will be restarted
              Well with a static IP restarting dhcpcd shouldn't be necessary but if your solution works that's just fine

I'm curious did you have to change /etc/fstab?
              Looked at the pi24 image but i don't know where that readonly mounting of / comes from.

Comment

Because on 20th March Khan stated in the original post that the Share Your Data was foing to be withdrawn in about seven days time and it wasnt...very disappointing about the lack of further information being given by Flight Radar.

Comment

Links have been removed.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

After years of feeding from PC, this is a right kick in the teeth

I shall not be "investing" in other kit... so im voting with my feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
                      After years of feeding from PC, this is a right kick in the teeth

I shall not be "investing" in other kit... so im voting with my feet.
                      Dont be frustrated.
                      You can still feed from Windows computer without "investing" a single penny in other kit.
                      Please see Post #1 and Post #2 of this thread:

Feed options for depreciated windows feeder

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                        Dont be frustrated.
                        You can still feed from Windows computer without "investing" a single penny in other kit.
                        Please see Post #1 and Post #2 of this thread:

Feed options for depreciated windows feeder

Many thanks for that... but its extra effort, and theres a principal here !

Comment

...and theres a principal here !
                          Well, in this case your stand is right !

Comment

Many thanks for that... but its extra effort, and theres a principal here !
                            I felt and still feel the same. However, I looked at what use I made of FR24 overall and which was my preferred mobile app. My criteria was that it would not cost me anything to switch, but a bit of effort (and self-education) was acceptable. Neither Oracle VM or a linux image cost anything and if I had hindsight, its a fairly quick and simple process.

So basically nothing has changed on my Windows set up, same people get feeds, just FR24 feeder sitting on the VM. The linux installation may also be useful for other things in the future.

Comment

Not everyone.

That never happens to me.
                              Mine has worked fine for years without issue.

I certainly will not be changing to any other systems, so it's goodbye for me.

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                              I am not sure of the real reason for FR24 to discontinue Windows feed, but one reason seems to be there: whenever Windows10 updates, it replaces dvb-t's custom driver "zadig" by Microsoft's generic driver, forcing users to reinstall "zadig" after updates of Win10.

Comment

It is funny. I use Linux but it writes about windows feeder
                                T-ENGM162 ex T-ENHA4, T-ENGM86, T-LHBP22

My photos - Planespotters
                                My photos - Jetphotos

Comment

Working...
                                X