Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows feeder discontinued 7-May-19

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    Having achieved my plan of replicating my Windows based system on a Ubuntu linux system (with great and much appreciated assistance from abcd567, Oblivian and Wiedehopf), a 20 hour test period confirmed it was working. However, the added complexity of running Wine for Planeplotter and mono for VRS, plus some limited functionality, made it unsatisfactory for my purpose.
    You could still run fr24feed in a Virtual machine and if the PC is slow make it a virtual machine that only has console and no graphical output

Then you could continue to run the rest of the system as usual no?

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by wiedehopf View Post
    You could still run fr24feed in a Virtual machine and if the PC is slow make it a virtual machine that only has console and no graphical output

Then you could continue to run the rest of the system as usual no?
    You are presumably talking about Oracle VM or similar? That thought had crossed my mind, the PC should have enough grunt and has plenty of space to run it. The question then is what to run as the feeder, as I'm not a fan of the fr24 variety at the moment. I'd prefer not to be getting my data from it alone.

First officer
    @wiedehopf

After some fiddling about with adding packages and network settings, I now have the FR24feeder operating in a linux VM on my mini-PC, being fed by Planeplotter and uploading.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    @wiedehopf

After some fiddling about with adding packages and network settings, I now have the FR24feeder operating in a linux VM on my mini-PC, being fed by Planeplotter and uploading.
    Very nice!

If you want to reduce the resources used by the VM you can try disabling any graphical user interface you might have in the VM.
    After all you don't need that, do you?

Just out of curiosity what output is planeplotter providing?

Super Moderator

Just out of curiosity what output is planeplotter providing?
    As in data format over visual?

BS relay on 30003, and if a BEAST is connected same beast binary out (just verified it's essentially source pass-through)
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
    As in data format over visual?

BS relay on 30003, and if a BEAST is connected same beast binary out (just verified it's essentially source pass-through)
    What port is the beast output on?
    Just to make sure Stealth is providing the raw messages instead of the basestation output.

Does planeplotter include its MLAT in the basestation output? That would be quite a source for bad data

(The basestation format on its own is an unreliable data source and if FR24 is serious about data integrity it should probably turn off the SBS and Basestation input as they are not raw message formats, no matter which platform the feeder runs on)
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-04-02 at 11:55.

Super Moderator
    Per prev example

Whatever you want. And it's pass-through/relay. Untouched as with the raw out on FR24feed. So yes. MLAT works fine.

planeplotter.jpg
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Captain
    So you would need to check the "raw" checkbox for the TCP/IP server in planeplotter correct?

And then use beast-tcp as format for fr24feed running wherever.

First officer
    So you would need to check the "raw" checkbox for the TCP/IP server in planeplotter correct?

And then use beast-tcp as format for fr24feed running wherever.
    pp and fr.jpg
    io_screen.png

Passenger
    I note the Windows feed software link is still available on the Share Your Data webpage...does this mean there has been a change of plan and Windows will still be supported post 1st May?