Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This sucks beyond belief. I have been feeding for years. I bought a new mini-pc just to feed FR24 and Planeplotter. I spent 100 Euro to replace a toasted hard drive and I spent 700 Euro for my SBS-3 which it appears is stable enough to be a SMU for Planeplotter. Has there not been any further comment or is it just a case of tough luck ? I understand that a direct feed from Planeplotter does not entitle you to a business account either ? Very, very disappointing to treat loyal feeders this way.

Comment

HARDWARE
      (1) Computer board: Raspberry Pi 3 B+
      (2) Power Supply adapter 5V 3A DC
      (3) microSD card, 8 Gb or larger.
      (4) Plastic case to house the board
      (5) Ethernet cable to connect Raspberry Pi to the Router (not required if you use built-in WiFi of Raspberry Pi).

CONNECTION
      The way Raspberry Pi connects to Receiver depends on make & model of receiver.

It can be either using a USB cable between receiver and RPi, or for a receiver connected to network directly, on the network through the router.

If using DVB-T as receiver, it plugs directly into USB port of the Raspberry Pi.

SOFTWARE FOR RASPBERRY PI

Option-1
      Download PI24 image from this page, and write it to microSD card of RPi. This contains OS as well as fr24feed.

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Option-2
      (a) OS - Raspbian Stretch Lite download from http://raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian

(b) fr24feeder installed on Raspberry Pi using following bash script:

Code:
      sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
      Last edited by abcd567; 2019-03-26, 22:02.

Comment

Went with Option 1. Total Cost £51.99 from Amazon.co.uk for Pi Starter kit. Moved DVB-T Antenna over. Took an hour of 2 minutes to build and plug in. keep wandering past to see if install finished, updates finished etc.

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
        HARDWARE
        (1) Computer board: Raspberry Pi 3 B+
        (2) Power Supply adapter 5V 3A DC
        (3) microSD card, 8 Gb or larger.
        (4) Plastic case to house the board
        (5) Ethernet cable to connect Raspberry Pi to the Router (not required if you use built-in WiFi of Raspberry Pi).

CONNECTION
        The way Raspberry Pi connects to Receiver depends on make & model of receiver.

It can be either using a USB cable between receiver and RPi, or for a receiver connected to network directly, on the network through the router.

If using DVB-T as receiver, it plugs directly into USB port of the Raspberry Pi.

SOFTWARE FOR RASPBERRY PI

Option-1
        Download PI24 image from this page, and write it to microSD card of RPi. This contains OS as well as fr24feed.

Option-2
        (a) OS - Raspbian Stretch Lite download from Deleted as not allowed to post Links.
        (b) fr24feeder installed on Raspberry Pi using following bash script:

Code:
        sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - deleted as not allowed to post links)"

Comment

Originally posted by Saudistu View Post
          This sucks beyond belief. I have been feeding for years. I bought a new mini-pc just to feed FR24 and Planeplotter. I spent 100 Euro to replace a toasted hard drive and I spent 700 Euro for my SBS-3 which it appears is stable enough to be a SMU for Planeplotter. Has there not been any further comment or is it just a case of tough luck ? I understand that a direct feed from Planeplotter does not entitle you to a business account either ? Very, very disappointing to treat loyal feeders this way.
          I can only speculate on the exact reasons for why they are stopping the Windows feeder.
          What i would understand is removing support for the Basesation and SBS format.

The problem with that format is that is basically a table of aircraft with positions and altitude, but you don't know how current the altitude or position is.
          With other receivers the fr24 feed client gets raw messages, which is a much better basis for what fr24 is doing.

What i think is disappointing that the "bad data" and reasoning why the Windows feeder is no longer supported isn't explained better.
          (Even if the explanation might be that spending money on developing that feeder is not worth it)

But if you are mainly interested in a business account, buying a RPi, dongle and antenna isn't really expensive compared to the 700 Euro hardware you just mentioned.
          (Range and reception quality doesn't need to be good if it is just the account upgrade you want)

Comment

Fully agree with @wiedehopf.

Comment

I ordered now a RPi 3b+ with 16Gb Card and Case. I am hoping that by using maybe ModeSMixer2 I can port a feed from the Windows PC to the RPi for FR24 and FlightAware, OR I can ditch completely Basestation and the Windows PC and use the SBS-3 to somehow feed direct to the RPi to do this, although I absolutely need to keep using Planeplotter so maybe the only way is keep the Windows PC for that. I need to start learning about the RPi now

Comment

Originally posted by Saudistu View Post
                I ordered now a RPi 3b+ with 16Gb Card and Case. I am hoping that by using maybe ModeSMixer2 I can port a feed from the Windows PC to the RPi for FR24 and FlightAware, OR I can ditch completely Basestation and the Windows PC and use the SBS-3 to somehow feed direct to the RPi to do this, although I absolutely need to keep using Planeplotter so maybe the only way is keep the Windows PC for that. I need to start learning about the RPi now
                Having achieved my plan of replicating my Windows based system on a Ubuntu linux system (with great and much appreciated assistance from abcd567, Oblivian and Wiedehopf), a 20 hour test period confirmed it was working. However, the added complexity of running Wine for Planeplotter and mono for VRS, plus some limited functionality, made it unsatisfactory for my purpose.

I am unsure at this point as to whether or not I will pursue any other avenues to continue FR24 feeding, but as others have already said, the RPi option feeding the PC seems to be the easiest way for anyone doing what you and I are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
                  I am unsure at this point as to whether or not I will pursue any other avenues to continue FR24 feeding, but as others have already said, the RPi option feeding the PC seems to be the easiest way for anyone doing what you and I are looking for.
                  In case you decide to go for Pi, see this post for some saving $ £ €

All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                    In case you decide to go for Pi, see this post for some saving $ £ €

All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

Thanks for the link. Whilst price is a consideration, it is not the only one. That price comes out at 33 Australian Pesos, rather better than the 100+ local price. Downside is it must come over on a very slow junk...24-49 days?

Comment

Downside is it must come over on a very slow junk...24-49 days?
                      Thats true and sad.

My Orange Pi was sent in a dinghy from China East coast to Canada West coast across the Pacific Ocean. The dinghy took 1-1/2 months to cross the Pacific.

Comment

Having achieved my plan of replicating my Windows based system on a Ubuntu linux system (with great and much appreciated assistance from abcd567, Oblivian and Wiedehopf), a 20 hour test period confirmed it was working. However, the added complexity of running Wine for Planeplotter and mono for VRS, plus some limited functionality, made it unsatisfactory for my purpose.
                        You could still run fr24feed in a Virtual machine and if the PC is slow make it a virtual machine that only has console and no graphical output

Then you could continue to run the rest of the system as usual no?

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                          You could still run fr24feed in a Virtual machine and if the PC is slow make it a virtual machine that only has console and no graphical output

Then you could continue to run the rest of the system as usual no?
                          You are presumably talking about Oracle VM or similar? That thought had crossed my mind, the PC should have enough grunt and has plenty of space to run it. The question then is what to run as the feeder, as I'm not a fan of the fr24 variety at the moment. I'd prefer not to be getting my data from it alone.

Comment

@wiedehopf

After some fiddling about with adding packages and network settings, I now have the FR24feeder operating in a linux VM on my mini-PC, being fed by Planeplotter and uploading.

Comment

@wiedehopf

After some fiddling about with adding packages and network settings, I now have the FR24feeder operating in a linux VM on my mini-PC, being fed by Planeplotter and uploading.
                              Very nice!

If you want to reduce the resources used by the VM you can try disabling any graphical user interface you might have in the VM.
                              After all you don't need that, do you?

Just out of curiosity what output is planeplotter providing?

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post

Just out of curiosity what output is planeplotter providing?
                                As in data format over visual?

BS relay on 30003, and if a BEAST is connected same beast binary out (just verified it's essentially source pass-through)
                                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
                                X