Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardware Upgrade

Hi Guys

New here ( 3 hours ago) but loving it so far. I've now mounted my little antenna outside and gained some distance. Im using windows and everything is working fine, but I want to get further distance. I have a USB Stick with a little 5" antenna..... Whats a better upgrade to get? I'm based in Kelso, Scottish borders, and I'm roughly 60 miles away from Edinburgh Airport, currently, my feed says I can reach 25nm (about 28 miles I think), what upgrades can I make to get to Edinburgh?

I'm assuming just a bigger, better antenna?

Originally posted by Ridgeandgable View Post
    I'm assuming just a bigger, better antenna?
    Desdpite what some might say, "size isn't everything".

Can you place the antenna as high as possible where it can receive maximum aircraft messages? If you're surrounded by obstacles that can block signals, such as buildings, trees and high ground, a "bigger, better antenna" could be a waste of money.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Check this thread: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ange-I-can-Get

As for a USB stick, there are several one which have a builtin LNA:

Airnav flightstick - Advanced (https://www.radarbox24.com/store)

The Flightaware Pro Stick Plus is very good, you can find it here:
      Official Raspberry Pi reseller. The ultimate Raspberry Pi & maker superstore with all of the biggest brands under one roof. Raspberry Pi Zero stockist. Next Day delivery available.

The FA antenna is also very nice and the link also has fitting cable to connect it.

Personally i like this external LNA combined with the v3 stick from rtl-sdr-blog:
      We're happy to announce the release of our new high performance low noise amplifier (LNA) for improving 1090 MHz ADS-B reception. The LNA uses a low noise figure high linearity two stage MGA-13116 amplifier chip and three stages of filtering to ensure that strong signals or interference will not overload either the amplifier or SDR dongle. The LNA is currently only available from our Chinese warehouse, and costs US$24.95 including shipping. Please note that the price may increase slightly in the future, and that Amazon USA may not be stocked until March. Click here to visit our store An LNA

But it seems the need to make sure the bias-t is active dissuades many people from this option.

As for antennas if you want to build one this one is very good and easy:
      DIY QUICK SPIDER - No Soldering Required, No SO239 Connector Required Maximum Range Curve By VRS Hardware Used for Range Curve Plotting: Quick Spider >> 12 ft / 4 m RG6 Coax >> Generic DVB-T (black) >> Orange Pi PC Trial Run - Indoor Near Large Window HOW TO MAKE Please see these posts also for

Comment

Thanks for the help / advice guys, after moving the antenna, I'm now hitting 88nm which is much better.

I am a roofer so jumping on the roof to install the antenna will be done at weekend and that should improve things further.

Just purely out of interest... Can I hook up to the old freeview aerial that's on the chimney? We have Sky so don't use that and the coaxial plug is next to the pc?

Comment

Is the aerial made for 1090 MHz?
          My guess: it is not and won't give good results.

The coax is most likely also not made for such high frequencies and will have heavy losses on that frequency.

What is your current antenna that you are going to install?
          And what cabling are you going to use?

Comment

I have the nooelec usb stick and whatever antenna comes with that, 5". I used the only coax I had at the time and that was for Sky Digital.

I'm happy to buy whatever I need for the best signal. My house is 3 storeys high, all flat round about in a little town, so no large buildings or anything

Comment

Those antennas that come from nooelec are really really bad.

The coax is most likely no good either.

If you don't mind spending some money, get yourself these three items:
              This is the official FlightAware high-performance, omni directional antenna for receiving 1090MHz Mode S and ADS-B data from aircraft. The antenna can be used outdoors, mounted on a mast that is 2.5cm to 4cm in diameter (not included), or installed indoors against a window. When properly installed without obstructions,

This Antenna Extension Cable features N-Type Male & SMA Male connectors! Perfect for connecting FlightAware dongles to a larger N-Type Antenna. The cable utilises RG58 cable. Available in 5m and 10m (select above). We also stock a short 1m version. Features RG58 Cable Extension Lead - 5 or 10 metre length cable Gol

Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) is a technology that enables aircraft to determine their position via satellite and then broadcast it. This information can be received by ground stations enabling aircraft to be tracked. With FlightAware, you can build and run your own ADS-B ground station that can be

You should install the Raspberry Pi in the attic or wherever the 5m of cable will reach.

The antenna should have a clear view in all directions, if it is not the highest point of the house you will have some gaps in the coverage.

(I would also probably recommend this filter https://www.modmypi.com/raspberry-pi...ass-sma-filter but it is currently sold out. The light blue filter is not worth it because it's made for the USA and the UK has other GSM frequencies)

If you really want to go all out you can get yourself an external preamplifier:

(needs a small coupler https://store.uputronics.com/index.p...&product_id=56)

Then you don't need the blue filter that is sold out, the preamp is filtered.

If you get a preamplifier i would recommend an rtl-sdr v3 instead of the prostick plus, but the prostick plus will work as well.
              https://www.rtl-sdr.com/buy-rtl-sdr-dvb-t-dongles/ (RTL-SDR Blog V3 R820T2 RTL2832U 1PPM TCXO SMA Software Defined Radio (Dongle Only))
              Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-03-01, 19:57.

Comment

Working...
              X