Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI Model B Version 1

Hi

I have a RPI Model B revision 1 (2012) and according to the documentation that I have seen the FR24 software will run on any RPI model.

It seems to boot without an issue and following some steps that I found on-line (rtl-test –t), the DVB-T dongle seems to be interfaced and executing as it should, however when I request the status I get a couple of lines that say [something] failed/[something else] failed to load.

Now I obviously realise that this last sentence is not a lot of help and I will post the accurate details of the actual errors this evening when I get home, but for the purpose of this question I am just trying to give a ‘flavour’ of the magnitude of my issue.

So after that short ramble my question is, am I wasting my time attempting to run on such an old and slow RPI, or will persevering, with assistance for this forum, be likely to result in success?

Maybe the dongle you are trying to use is not compatible.

That's the most likely explanation.
    Or you stopped the feed (which is necessary to run rtl-test) and that's why it says failed.

Do a reboot and check the status.
    Also the output of the rtl-test would be interesting to tell you if the dongle you are using is compatible.

Comment

Thank you for the advice. When I get home I will re run the dongle test and post the results along with the details of the errors that are displayed when I request the status.

I guess you are suggesting that I will have no problem in respect of model of Pi that I am using?

Comment

I don't think that an old pi is a problem.

Comment

Here is what I get when I do the dongle test:

Found 1 device(s):
          0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
          Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
          Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6
          [R82XX] PLL not locked!
          Sampling at 2048000 S/s.
          No E4000 tuner found, aborting.

It looks very similar to what is suggested as a good result, other than the line PLL not locked. I do not know what the important things to look out for here are.

Will just run the status command and post the results of that here too.
          Last edited by ThePhoenix; 2019-02-27, 19:47.

Comment

Here is the feed status result:

~ $ sudo service fr24feed status
            ● fr24feed.service - Flightradar24 Decoder & Feeder
            Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service; enabled; vendor preset:
            Active: failed (Result: start-limit-hit) since Wed 2019-02-27 19:39:40 UTC; 5
            Process: 423 ExecStart=/usr/bin/fr24feed (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
            Process: 418 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/fr24/create_missing_directories.sh (code=ex
            Process: 412 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/fr24/unregister_kernel_modules.sh (code=exi
            Process: 406 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/fr24/install_dump1090.sh (code=exited, stat
            Main PID: 423 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Feb 27 19:39:40 raspberrypi systemd[1]: fr24feed.service: Service hold-off time
            Feb 27 19:39:40 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopped Flightradar24 Decoder & Feeder.
            Feb 27 19:39:40 raspberrypi systemd[1]: fr24feed.service: Start request repeated
            Feb 27 19:39:40 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Flightradar24 Decoder &
            Feb 27 19:39:40 raspberrypi systemd[1]: fr24feed.service: Unit entered failed st
            Feb 27 19:39:40 raspberrypi systemd[1]: fr24feed.service: Failed with result 'st
            lines 1-15/15 (END)
            ● fr24feed.service - Flightradar24 Decoder & Feeder
            Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
            Active: failed (Result: start-limit-hit) since Wed 2019-02-27 19:39:40 UTC; 5min ago
            Process: 423 ExecStart=/usr/bin/fr24feed (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
            Process: 418 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/fr24/create_missing_directories.sh (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
            Process: 412 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/fr24/unregister_kernel_modules.sh (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
            Process: 406 ExecStartPre=/usr/lib/fr24/install_dump1090.sh (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
            Main PID: 423 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

Feb 27 19:39:40 raspberrypi systemd[1]: fr24feed.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
            Feb 27 19:39:40 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Stopped Flightradar24 Decoder & Feeder.
            Feb 27 19:39:40 raspberrypi systemd[1]: fr24feed.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
            Feb 27 19:39:40 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Failed to start Flightradar24 Decoder & Feeder.
            Feb 27 19:39:40 raspberrypi systemd[1]: fr24feed.service: Unit entered failed state.
            Feb 27 19:39:40 raspberrypi systemd[1]: fr24feed.service: Failed with result 'start-limit-hit'.

I am just starting out and have no experience of this whatsoever.

Comment

tail -n60 /var/log/fr24feed/fr24feed.log

cat /etc/fr24feed.ini
              (redact the key)

what image/install are you running?

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                tail -n60 /var/log/fr24feed/fr24feed.log

cat /etc/fr24feed.ini
                (redact the key)

what image/install are you running?
                Ok, I've now reached the limit of my talent and do not understand what is being suggested here. Please help me; are these commands that are suggested that I try? What do they do? I guess the first is to display a log?

The image I have loaded is named pi24-2.1.0

Comment

yeah should have mentioned that provide the output of the mentioned commands please.

Comment

The first command fails to produce an output as is doesn't find the file or directory (I'll see what I can find)

And the second produces this, which I guess is somewhat lacking, as I see nothing that looks like it needs redacting?

cat /etc/fr24feed.ini
                    bs=yes
                    raw=yes
                    mlat="yes"
                    mlat-without-gps="yes"
                    logmode="2"
                    receiver="dvbt"
                    procargs="--gain -10"

Comment

must be this file then:

tail -n60 /var/log/fr24feed.log

(config is as expected)

(did you try a reboot after doing the rtl-test?)

Comment

Except it has no key etc. (cancelled part way through setup or at write only stage?) and is missing an ID. So server possibly doing a kill.

Time to re-run setup and confirm all settings

sudo fr24feed --signup
                        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks to both of you, I now seem to be up and running.

Just needed a push in the right direction.

Cheers

Comment

Discovered something else if you can help.

In my account I now have two feeds with differing sharing keys. Looks like somthing did not complete correctly first time round?

One is online and seems to be feeding. The other, with a sharing key different to that in my fr24.ini, is showing as offline (and with an update available). Is there a way of removing this feed. from my account please?

Comment

Email the HD and request a change around manually.

Or it will die in a few months anyway.

You can change your ID in the config to match the offline one at present, confirm its changed and advise them to remove the alternate.

But yes, is what happens when you quit out of the setup (or an error occurs) or do not manually run it but do the automated setup multiple times
                              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
                              X