Feed and LAN connectivity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feed and LAN connectivity

Tried search but didn't find answers to these general questions so wanted to give a post a try...

1) On the FR24 website, I want to edit my elevation and lat/long info because I moved my antenna. On the FR24 flight stats page I edit my coordinates and I can change the elevation, but the lat/long fields are grayed out. Is there another place that I can/should be using to change lat/long settings?

2) In terminal when executing fr24feed-status, one of the rows says "Receiver: connected (644247 MSGS/0 SYNC). Is that SYNC number supposed to be 0? What does that message mean?

3) I'm running fine on wifi, but when I plug an ethernet cable into my Pi then my FR24 feed breaks. I'm assuming this is because the wired connection has a different IP address according to ifconfig(???). If I want to run on the cable, where do I need to change that IP address to try to get my feed re-started?

Thanks, John

1) You need to move the marker on the map above until the lat/lon are appropriate. (Or just use the map if it is good enough)

2) i'm not sure what it means, but my output is similar: [ ok ] Receiver: connected (7240677 MSGS/0 SYNC).

3) turn off the wifi, then LAN should work. Basically you are connected to the same network twice which causes problems.

you can put those two lines in your /boot/config.txt to disable wifi and bluetooth, as you won't need them:

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi
    dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-02-15, 22:16.

Comment

That's funny. I never thought to move the dot on the map and that worked fine.

OK on #2. Everything seems to be working, I was just curious if there was some other set of data that I could be sending to FR24 to make my results better, and therefore I wanted to fix it if it was broken.

On #3, I thought that I had turned off wifi and rebooted with just the cable in, but I'll try that again tonight.

I leave Bluetooth on because I'm using a compact wireless Bluetooth keyboard to get some clutter off my desk.

Comment

Ah you use the Pi with monitor.
        (Somehow i always assume everyone is using it via ssh/putty without even having a keyboard/monitor connected. Mine is in the attic, no monitor/keyboard connected)

You started with a Raspbian sd-card image right?
        Maybe plug in the cable and go through the network configuration offered by
        sudo raspi-config

After that is done maybe restart fr24feed:
        sudo systemctl restart fr24feed
        or just reboot.

Did only fr24feed fail or did nothing work?

Comment

I used RealVNC to connect to my Pi remotely from another computer when away from home once, and it worked great. Lag was really low.....quiet impressive solution, actually. But otherwise, yeah, for now at home it's on a monitor with keyboard and mouse.

Good point. I did start with a Raspbiam card image, so I can plug in the cable and try the config tools. Will tinker this weekend with that...

Just the FR24 feed didn't work. I had nothing flowing onto my feed status page, and the DUMP1090-fa map had an error on it saying there was a problem with the feed. But web browsing, etc, all worked fine so the ethernet connection was good.

As soon as I went back to wifi everything worked with the feed.

Comment

Yeah just disable wifi with the /boot/config.txt option i mentioned above. (dtoverlay=pi3-disable-wifi)

The network should just work after rebooting.

Comment

Turned off wifi, plugged in ethernet cable, rebooted, and PiAware Skyview wasn't working (but fr24feed-status showed all was OK with my internet connectivity).

Ran ifconfig and saw the IP address for the cabled connection was different than the IP address for wifi. All I had to do was change the URL that I was using for Skyview to mycabledIP/dump1090-fa and Skyview started working. So all seems good now on the cabled connection...

Comment

Working...
              X