How to set up a feeder using 64-bit Ubuntu Linux on Intel platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
    Can you please tell which version and architecture of fr24feed you have installed?
    I installed 1.0.18-5 x64 exactly like described in post #1: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...l=1#post114886

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
    tar1090 is just an improved webinterface for dump1090-fa.
    So is it correct, that tar1090 is just an addition to dump1090-fa? So in my case my current working dump1090-fa installation should stay installed and I just should add tar1090, right?

Comment

Why do you ask, it's all been explained.

Install it if you wish or don't install it, i don't care!
      Yes it'll work with dump1090-fa, that's what it's made for.

Comment

Will it be more or much more CPU usage if I enable MLAT calculations?
        Or will CPU usage not change because of that?

Or just does it make no sense, cause I am in the middle of Europe?

Comment

Why don't you just test if you can see a difference?
          Might be better to leave it off if you are using a VM, might be some USB problems which make MLAT go bad.

So just leave it off.

Comment

Hello wiedehopf, today I installed your tar1090 and it looks great, thank you

But as you will surely know, I have a few questions:
            • The configuration file talks bout a "track history". Where is this history saved and where on the map can I see historic flights?
            • Is it possible that flight hyperlinks do lead to FR24 website?

Comment

I won't add links to FR24, just type in the call sign or tail number, it's simple enough.
              (also linking to FR24 only works by tail number, not by callsign and you don't end up on the live map)

The track history is only to show you aircraft tracks for aircraft presently in sight.
              The history is saved in memory.
              Without that history you would open the web interface and wouldn't be able to see the aircraft trail.

If you want older flights you can give this a try: https://github.com/wiedehopf/timelap...#timelapse1090
              But there is no index, no nothing.
              And it's not meant for storing the data long term.

And before you ask there really isn't any good solution around to create an historic archive.
              Maybe someone else will have something for you, but in my experience nothing works really well.

Comment

Hello,

I have installed my FR24 on Debian Linux x64 following the good instructions in post #1 here.

Now I recognized, that FR24 released a debian x64 package with current version 1.0.24-5 here: https://www.flightradar24.com/share-your-data
                What is the correct way for me to upgrade to this latest version?
                Is it enough to just download and install the package by dpkg -i Or will that lead to problems?

Comment

I have tested every version past "fr24feed_1.0.18-5_i386" and they al have issues, at least on my Ubuntu system.

Comment

Originally posted by SoNic67 View Post
                    I have tested every version past "fr24feed_1.0.18-5_i386" and they al have issues, at least on my Ubuntu system.
                    Fairly evident it's a direct port from arm then. And OS updates and features have not been taken into account. Oddly the official DL page was showing me 18-5 until I just re-checked now so I thought it had been rolled back.
                    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• SoNic67

On Ubuntu 18.04 with "fr24feed_1.0.24-5_amd64"
                      Code:
                      sudo nano /etc/fr24feed.ini
                      Change
                      mlat="yes" to "no"
                      mlat-without-gps="yes" to "no"

Also enable logging, if not already enabled by changing logmode="0" to "1"

Save file

Restart fr24feed:
                      Code:
                      sudo systemctl restart fr24feed
                      Wait for 5 minutes, then check log & status:

Code:
                      cat /var/log/fr24feed/fr24feed.log

sudo systemctl status fr24feed
                      Last edited by abcd567; 2019-11-21, 01:27.

Comment

• I like the option to contribute to MLAT, and this version works for that.
                        I wonder if there is something to do with the fact that my Linux is 64 bit and the only way it works with MLAT is this 32 bit compatible...

Comment

• Originally posted by SoNic67 View Post
                          I like the option to contribute to MLAT, and this version works for that.
                          I wonder if there is something to do with the fact that my Linux is 64 bit and the only way it works with MLAT is this 32 bit compatible...
                          Under identical situation (ubuntu 18 amd64, and fr24feed i386) with mlat enabled, feed fails on my computer. May be difference in hardware is the reason.

TESTED - "1.0.24-5_amd64" and "1.0.24-5_i386"

Scroll down to:
                          Case 2 of 4: Linux .deb Package:fr24feed_1.0.24-5_i386.deb
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2019-11-22, 02:57.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                            Under identical situation (ubuntu 18 amd64, and fr24feed i386) with mlat enabled, feed fails on my computer. May be difference in hardware is the reason.
                            Those new ones (20-5, 24-5) fail too on mine. The only one that still works with MLAT is the older "fr24feed_1.0.18-5_i386".

Comment

• Someone already had a quote that mlat won't go on the new ones. Designed for PI/armfh only.
                              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• I don't know what difference does it make to upgrade to a newer version, what functionality does it add...
                                And what will I lose by disabling MLAT.

So for now, I'll do nothing, will stay on 18-5...

LE: The older version it doest connect with FR24 but no samples are "received", even if on my end looks like they got sent.
                                So it goes.
                                Last edited by SoNic67; 2019-11-27, 20:00.

Comment

Working...
                                X