How to set up a feeder using 64-bit Ubuntu Linux on Intel platform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all

I have just tried to build a Debian 9 dot 11 from scratch using my own recipe to the point (in less than 30 minutes).
    The only thing I needed to adjust in my recipe was to comment out the two rewrite statements in the nginx config, as dump1090-fa does not provide a gmap.html file.

erpomik-dump1090-fa.jpg

Comment

Hi erpomik,

when I use your recipe I get in troubles already in the very beginning, cause that command creates a nearly empty directory and so a lot of following steps are not working:

Code:
      git clone https://github.com/flightaware/dump1090
      Which dump1090 should I install instead of that one?

And I think if I install another one, then a lot of that steps which are containing "-mutability" will also fail, or not?

Code:
      cp ./fr24/etc/fr24feed.ini /etc/fr24feed.ini
      cp ./fr24/etc/default/dump1090-mutability /etc/default/dump1090-mutability
      cp ./fr24/etc/logrotate.d/dump1090-mutability /etc/logrotate.d/dump1090-mutability
      cp ./fr24/etc/logrotate.d/fr24feed /etc/logrotate.d/fr24feed
      cp ./fr24/etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service /etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service
      cp -n ./fr24/etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules
      cp ./fr24/usr/bin/fr24feed-status /usr/bin/fr24feed-status
      mkdir -p /usr/share/doc/dump1090-mutability
      cp -R ./fr24/usr/share/doc/dump1090-mutability/* /usr/share/doc/dump1090-mutability
      mkdir -p /usr/lib/fr24/public_html/coolclock
      cp -R ./fr24/usr/lib/fr24/* /usr/lib/fr24
      mkdir -p /usr/share/fr24/licences
      cp -R ./fr24/usr/share/fr24/* /usr/share/fr24

Unmount the Raspberry Pi image
      umount ./fr24

Copy fr24feed and dump1090
      cp ./fr24feed_amd64/fr24feed /usr/bin/fr24feed
      cp ./dump1090/dump1090 /usr/bin/dump1090-mutability
      cp ./dump1090/view1090 /usr/bin/view1090-mutability
      mkdir -p /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html
      cp -R ./dump1090/public_html/* /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html

Comment

Hello mensa

That is very strange. When I copy the git command you specify, I get this output from the command:
        Code:
        Cloning into 'dump1090'...
        remote: Enumerating objects: 10, done.
        remote: Counting objects: 100% (10/10), done.
        remote: Compressing objects: 100% (10/10), done.
        remote: Total 8946 (delta 3), reused 2 (delta 0), pack-reused 8936
        Receiving objects: 100% (8946/8946), 26.68 MiB | 14.59 MiB/s, done.
        Resolving deltas: 100% (6300/6300), done.
        And when I do a `ls -lR dump1090`I get output you can see in the attached file.

Regarding the "should I rename the dump1090-mutability" thing:
        No, because we copy a lot of stuff from the RPi image which still depends on mutability. If this changes in the future, then we should probably rename to dump1090-fa or whatever the name of a future dump1090 provider will be.
        Attached Files

Comment

He's talking about the folder being empty when cloning dump1090-mutability: https://github.com/mutability/dump1090
          If you want to use that you can still do it, just need to check out the v1.15-dev tag like this:
          git clone https://github.com/mutability/dump1090/tree/v1.15-dev
          git checkout v1.15-dev

In regard to dump1090-fa, just try compiling it again, last time you didn't execute all commands:
          (installing packages, first getting the source second, then compiling it)
          Solutions to common problems using dump1090 variants and ADS-B feeders - wiedehopf/adsb-wiki

If the commands give you an error then you'll have to post it instead of continuing and wondering it doesn't work.

Comment

Thank you, I managed to compile Dump1090-fa successfully now. So can I just follow the recipe of post #1 and only change that line for the git url?

Code:
            git clone https://github.com/flightaware/dump1090
            The rest of the recipe still works, also on Debian 10 x64?

Comment

I wouln't follow any recipe.

Just install the dump1090-fa .deb package you just compiled and then you can run my script for configuration and cleanup of other dump1090 packages you might have:
              Solutions to common problems for rtl_sdr / ADS-B stuff - wiedehopf/adsb-scripts

It will throw a couple of errors trying to install dump1090-fa, but it will continue because it's already installed.

Anyway the recipe i assume does some nginx configuration, you would have to adapt the folders appropriately, dump1090-fa uses other folder than dump1090-mutability and is configured differently.

Comment

Thank you sooo much, the recipe in post #1 worked perfectly now!!
                fr24feeder and dump1090-fa is working now!

It is very interesting to look now

But for the future, would it also be possible to run a minimalistic installation with only fr24feeder and without any dump1090?
                @erpomik says that this is possible, @wiedehopf says this is not possible. So what is correct?

@erpomik: Maybe you could show me a way for a minimalistic installation without dump1090 needed to be installed?

Comment

Hello mensa

Happy to her you finally succeeded.

If you take another look at post #26, you'll see I've made an errata on that post as @wiedehopf is absolutely right, when he/she states that dump1090 is needed.
                  I recalled running fr24feed without dump1090, but what I really did, was running fr24feed without the web integration.

So the conclusion is: I was wrong in trying to convince people that I've run fr24feed without dump1090, because I didn't. Sorry for initiating that confusion.

Best regards
                  Ernst

Comment

Hello mensa

Please also note, that if you use dump1090-fa instead of dump1090-mutability, all links to flights in your view, links to FlightAware which I think would be called a competitor to FlightRadar24 ;-)

Comment

Ok, no problem. But what do you mean with "without the web integration". So you just did not open the web browser or did not configure the webserver?
                      Is the installation of post #1 very CPU or HDD intensive? Is there a way to minimize CPU/HDD usage? I just only want to feed FR24 in the future, nothing else.

Other question: Do you know if it's possible to install dump1090-fa by "apt-get"? That would be very comfortable in case of updates.

Comment

dump1090-fa is not provided as a package for architectures other than armhf.

If he doesn't like the FA links, he can install this https://github.com/wiedehopf/tar1090#tar1090

Comment

That looks nice wiedehopf, but I think in the future I won't look at my own web site never or only very few times.

As I said, I am looking for a very minimalistic installation.
                          Any suggestions?

Comment

Hello mensa

What I meant by saying "without the web integration" was, that I didn't care about the web interface, thereby did not install apache, lighttpd, nginx or whatever web server you'd prefer to to use.

And no, I do not know if you can get dump1090-fa by apt. Maybe others can help you with that question. Maybe it is possible by adding some (obscure) repo to your apt config. ;-)

Comment

Which dump1090 is FR24 using in most current Rasperry Pi Images?
                              Still the unmaintained dump1090-mutability?

Comment

If you don't want to look at it, you can just install dump1090-mutability via apt-get on Debian Buster, there is a package available.

The demodulation of the messages that go to fr24feed hasn't changed in dump1090-fa.
                                dump1090-fa is just nicer to look at and has more information in the webinterface.

If you don't have fr24feed logging on, it shouldn't be writing to disk at all.
                                dump1090 also doesn't write to disk.

Might be that dump1090 depends on lighttpd, but you can disable it if you don't want the webserver accessible.
                                sudo systemctl disable --now lighttpd

Just want the FR24 account?
                                Looking at the local receiver can be quite interesting.
                                Often more planes on there than on FR24 due to blocking.

Comment

Working...
                                X