Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Range rings FR24 on raspberryPi

The Pi24 image has SSH enabled by default and does not need anything to be done by user to enable SSH.

The Raspbian image from raspberrypi foundation has SSH disabled by default, and if user wants to enable it, he has to create a file named ssh in /boot folder, and then boot/reboot Pi. At boot/reboot, if Raspbian detects the presence of file named ssh, it enables ssh and also deletes the file. The SSH remains enabled on subsequent boots/reboots.

One more thing:
    The Pi24 image uses dump1090-mutability ver 1.14. This version displays Google map, and requires Google Key for clear display. On Raspbian image, one can install dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev, which uses openstreet map without need for a key.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-01-26 at 18:02.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    The Pi24 image has SSH enabled by default and does not need anything to be done by user to enable SSH.
    Please take a look at this page: https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware.../optional#wifi
    Enable SSH access

For security reasons, SSH access is disabled by default on new PiAware SD card installs, starting with version 3.3. To enable SSH, create an empty file on the /boot partition of the SD card with the filename of "ssh" only (no file extension). When this file is present, SSH will be automatically enabled.
    Edit: I should learn how to read apparently. Apparently my brain read aware instead of 24, sorry for that.
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-01-27 at 05:09.

I have already mentioned in my above post that the Raspbian imge has ssh diabled by default, but Flightradar24 programmers have reversed this and have enabled it by default in Pi24 image.

To add further to above, the Flightaware's Piaware image follows Raspbian image, and ssh is disabled by default.

In fact by enabling ssh by default, Flightradar24 programmers have made Pi24 image easier plug-n-play for a common user. I like and support their approach.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-01-26 at 23:30.