Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Range rings FR24 on raspberryPi

Hi there,

I am using the FR24 image on a raspberry Pi. And I have struggled to get the range rings. I edited /etc/default/dump1090-mutability and entered my lat lon, and also edited the range ring values to 50, 100 and 150 NM. I also checked that range ring was true, and everything looked ok. Restared, but still no mark, range rings etc.

Tried fr24.ini and set lat lon etc. but still nothing.

The I entered --lat --lon in the settings.html file as processing arguments, and then the mark and range rings showed up, but NOT at 50, 100 and 150 NM. It looks like it is 100, 150 and 200NM (but not sure). Where do I edit this to get them at 50, 100 and 150NM ?

Edit file config.js

Code:
    sudo nano /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html/config.js
    Press keys Ctrl+w, then type SiteCircles and hit Enter key. The cursor will jump to line containing word SiteCircles. Below that line you will find a line starting with SiteCircleDistances, and the distances 100, 150, 200. Change these distances as you desire.

Code:
    SiteCircles = true; // true to show circles (only shown if the center marker is shown)

// In nautical miles or km (depending settings value 'Metric')

SiteCirclesDistances = new Array(100,150,200);
    Save file Ctrl+o, Close Ctrl+x

Clear browser cache Ctrl+Shift+Delete, then reload browser Ctrl+F5.

In case the circles at new distance dont show, restart dump1090 by restarting fr24feed

Code:
    sudo systemctl restart fr24feed
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-01-25, 23:49.

Comment

Hi there, and thanks for your reply. I tried this last evening, and double checked it again today, but its not working. The range rings is still at 100, 150 and 200 nm.

Is there any process agurment I can put in the "settings" page togetheter with the —lat —lon argument maybe ? That was the only thing that worked to get the "marker" show up (and make my "Distance from site" work).
      Last edited by Talle; 2019-01-26, 07:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Talle View Post
        Hi there, and thanks for your reply. I tried this last evening, and double checked it again today, but its not working. The range rings is still at 100, 150 and 200 nm.

Is there any process agurment I can put in the "settings" page togetheter with the —lat —lon argument maybe ? That was the only thing that worked to get the "marker" show up (and make my "Distance from site" work).
        Maybe you are not saving the config.js correctly? You need to confirm with return/enter after ctrl-o.
        Can you open the file again and check the modification is still present?

Also please show the output of
        ls /etc/lighttpd/conf-enabled
        and
        ls -la /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html/config.js
        and
        findmnt /

Edit: sry for the edits in case you were already reading
        Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-01-26, 08:12.

Comment

Hmm, I am quit sure that I saved it correctly, otherwise I would expect the settings to be reset the next time I opened the file again ?

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls /etc/lighttpd/conf-enabled
          10-cgi.conf 89-dump1090.conf

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ ls -la /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html/config.js
          -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1661 Jan 25 22:08 /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html/config.js

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ findmnt /
          TARGET SOURCE FSTYPE OPTIONS
          / /dev/mmcblk0p2 ext4 ro,noatime,data=ordered

Thanks for your help
          Last edited by Talle; 2019-01-26, 08:21.

Comment

Did you clear browser cache (Ctrl+Shift+Delete keys) and reloaded browser (Ctrl+F5 keys)?

The browsers are often very stubborn, and keep on displaying the old cached content inspite of clearing cache. Repeat abvoe several times.

Also try another browser, for example if you are using Firefox, try Google Chrome.

Comment

Yup, I did. But now the strange thing is that in Safari, the range rings is still at 100, 150 and 200NM. But in Firefox they are correctly displayed (50,100 and 150). So I guess it is something with the browser cache (even if I did delete it from the menu).

Thanks for your help. I guess it will fix in safari also after some time

Comment

Originally posted by Talle View Post
                Thanks for your help
                No problem. It seems that the current fr24 images are readonly (/ /dev/mmcblk0p2 ext4 ro,noatime,data=ordered)
                The ro means read-only.

So i would suggest to you to use a different image if you want to modify the webinterface.
                For example raspbian stretch lite https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ (make sure NOT to use the desktop version, much larger download)
                After writing the image to an sd-card you will need ssh and maybe wifi, follow these instructions:: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=191252
                The installation of fr24 and dump1090-mutability is described here: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...-15-dev-on-RPi

You could also use a piaware sd card image as a base which might be easier, some very nice guides by abcd567 can be found here https://discussions.flightaware.com/t/bake-a-pi/19886 (option 1 and then additional feeders for installing fr24)

Comment

Yup, I know. I have been thinking about installing raspbian stretch lite. The "thing" is that I have a radarscape on order, so I am just waiting for it to arrive, and then I will change to radarscape But I still want the R Pi, and hopefully set it up at another location. And besides, it is fun to "fiddle around" with the Pi, I am using them for a lot of radio projects (I am a HAM radio operator), like APRS, digital hotspots etc. And I would also like to feed FA in addition to FR24.

Why do I need to do this step:
                  After writing the image to an sd-card you will need ssh and maybe wifi, follow these instructions:: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...c.php?t=191252

?

I am running the Pi on LAN, and would like to continue with this. But do I still need to do this step ?

Thanks for all for kind help, it is truly appreciated.

Comment

No disregard the Wifi setup. You will still need a file called ssh on the boot partition so you can ssh into the pi but you are probably familiar with that.

Comment

The Pi24 image has SSH enabled by default and does not need anything to be done by user to enable SSH.

The Raspbian image from raspberrypi foundation has SSH disabled by default, and if user wants to enable it, he has to create a file named ssh in /boot folder, and then boot/reboot Pi. At boot/reboot, if Raspbian detects the presence of file named ssh, it enables ssh and also deletes the file. The SSH remains enabled on subsequent boots/reboots.

One more thing:
                      The Pi24 image uses dump1090-mutability ver 1.14. This version displays Google map, and requires Google Key for clear display. On Raspbian image, one can install dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev, which uses openstreet map without need for a key.
                      Last edited by abcd567; 2019-01-26, 18:02.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                        The Pi24 image has SSH enabled by default and does not need anything to be done by user to enable SSH.
                        Please take a look at this page: https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware.../optional#wifi
                        Enable SSH access

For security reasons, SSH access is disabled by default on new PiAware SD card installs, starting with version 3.3. To enable SSH, create an empty file on the /boot partition of the SD card with the filename of "ssh" only (no file extension). When this file is present, SSH will be automatically enabled.
                        Edit: I should learn how to read apparently. Apparently my brain read aware instead of 24, sorry for that.
                        Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-01-27, 05:09.

Comment

I have already mentioned in my above post that the Raspbian imge has ssh diabled by default, but Flightradar24 programmers have reversed this and have enabled it by default in Pi24 image.

To add further to above, the Flightaware's Piaware image follows Raspbian image, and ssh is disabled by default.

In fact by enabling ssh by default, Flightradar24 programmers have made Pi24 image easier plug-n-play for a common user. I like and support their approach.
                          Last edited by abcd567; 2019-01-26, 23:30.

Comment

Working...
                          X