Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy trick to increase coverage

Hi guys,
    I had placed my antenna on the roof a few days ago. Simultaneously I added an LNA and I was getting really good range. Almost 78 nm.
    I had to move the receiver, because the WiFi coverage was poor and the connection was dropping. As I placed the antenna on the new place the range got significantly worse. I measured the LNA and it is getting voltage. So I decided to do a little test and move the antenna back to it's original location. And the range increased again.
    So what is the secret? The antenna was placed originally on the stainless steel roof of the chimney.
    20190113_095430.jpgScreenshot from 2019-01-13 09-51-43.png
    After moving it to the new location this is the result:
    20190113_095535.jpgScreenshot from 2019-01-13 09-56-59.pngScreenshot from 2019-01-13 09-57-08.jpg
    It seems the steel plate is amplifying and reflecting the signals significantly.
    What would be the perfect shape for steel plate? What is the explanation for this phenomenon?

Tin can lid, old pot lid.

You name it. It just a ground plane effect as seen on the cantenna

Alternative receivers, antennas, amplifiers, connectors, adapters and general technical matters. No Flightradar24 issues.

You should be getting well over 78nm however looking at the clear view. Should be in the 100-200 range I would expect
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

What am I doing wrong than? I use a simple chinese SDR with the stock antenna, an LNA and an Orange Pi.

Comment

If that is the stock TV antenna, they are not tuned for ADSB in the 1090MHZ range, but rather optimised for digital tv at 400-600Mhz

Follow the guide above and have a go at making a simple 65mm wire antenna, or place it on a tin lid for a start
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Working...
        X