Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maximum distance dropped on my data sharing page

Hi to all!
    During the last days, especially today, the maximum distance in every part of the compass dropped significantly.
    Dump1090 is working nice but looks like FR24 is not receiving correctly all the positions shared or something...
    The command fr24feed-status shows everything on [OK]
    Anyone experiencing the same issue?
    Cheers!

Hi - since no one else has responded .. my range hasn't changed recently.

When you say Dump1090 is working nice - do you mean the maps are showing aircraft at their 'normal' max range in the 8 compass directions but the stat's are showing shorter distances ?

Guessing you have checked that the antenna is still upright and in position ? Is it inside or outside ? In October, I had one that in one day, started to show a slight decline in range and this decline continued daily for several weeks. Finally deciding to investigate, as I removed the waterproofing tape, a few drips of water appeared; and when the coax was unscrewed, it just poured out. On closer inspection, there was a gap between the pvc and aluminium tubing where the adhesive bond had become brittle and this allowed the water in. But this was a slow decline in range as the moisture got into the internals and the coax - if your dump1090 isn't displaying maps normally, your sudden change probably points to antenna or cable damage, or a broken connector. Then again, maybe there's fewer aircraft in your skies at the moment - or some other cause .... any software changes or updates on the day this decline started ?

Those on the forum with greater knowledge and experience will no doubt respond in due course.
    Last edited by ylis; 2018-12-29, 06:36.

ylis

Comment

Hi!
      Thanks for your answer.
      Yes, dump1090 is working as always.
      Antenna is ok.
      For the moment i'm using the stock mini antenna cut ad 6.7mm and it's working decently with a maximum range of 106nm and a "cruising daily range" of 85-86nm.
      But on the stats everything dropped a bit in the last 4 days with a maximum of 65.
      I guess, as you said, it could be that less aircrafts are flying in the sky during these days (not that less tho, -30 are reported).
      Anyway on my dump1090 map i see planes reaching far more distance than 65nm but on the stats no traces of that.
      Let's if it changes during the next days.
      Cheers

Comment

I also see quite a difference between dump1090 and FR24 / PP, my understanding is that dump1090 shows every fleeting glimpse of signal, whereas the tracking sites require a certain number of uncorrupted signals within a certain time frame (with correct checksums) in order to avoid things like reflected or corrupted signals giving ghost flights on the map.
        Also FR24 ignores any signal with a range greater than 349nm.

Originally posted by IZ8292SWL View Post
        Hi!
        Thanks for your answer.
        Yes, dump1090 is working as always.
        Antenna is ok.
        For the moment i'm using the stock mini antenna cut ad 6.7mm and it's working decently with a maximum range of 106nm and a "cruising daily range" of 85-86nm.
        But on the stats everything dropped a bit in the last 4 days with a maximum of 65.
        I guess, as you said, it could be that less aircrafts are flying in the sky during these days (not that less tho, -30 are reported).
        Anyway on my dump1090 map i see planes reaching far more distance than 65nm but on the stats no traces of that.
        Let's if it changes during the next days.
        Cheers
        FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Hi F-EGLF1
          Thanks for your review.
          Yes i think that dump1090 is more sensitive and shows everything.
          FR24 only receives clearer signals.
          Anyway i'll change the antenna next month, thinking of buying one from jetvision.de, the one with the cable already attached.
          Cheers from Italy!

Comment

Working...
          X