Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electro Sense with FR24 on a RPI

Hello Everybody

I am feeding FR24, RB24, FA, PF and Opensky-network using a RPI 3B+ (Raspibian Stretch full install). I can see the usage is low (CPU at 600 MHz and average 5% CPU load) so wanted to participate in the electro sense (crowd-sourcing initiative to collect and analyse spectrum data) project as well with the same unit.

Does anybody know if you can share the FR24 existing DVB-T USB Stick (antenna doesn't have a filter for the 1090 MHz freq) in an RPI so it also can be used for this electro sense?
    If not, does anybody know if you can use two DVB-T sticks in the same RPI (one for the airplanes and the second for the electro sense) without causing issues to each other?

Thanks, Marc

Looking at the Electrosense website, it appears as their software is very resource hungry and they don’t suggest running any other applications on the pi as it will interfere with their processing, even if you could run both on the same pi you would need separate SDR sticks but it looks like you would need a separate Pi.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Hi there. Thanks for that
      I see that. It also says it works on a RPI ver 1 (CPU 700 MHz with Single core) so this is why I think there is enough resources left on my RPI 3B+ (1.4 GHz CPU with 4cores). I'll test it on the RPI 3B+ with the electro sense on it's own to see what the total load is and let you know.
      Thanks, Marc

Comment

Looked at their website. I could NOT find their software which could be installed on a microSD card with existing Raspbian image. Instead, they offer their own image to be written to a microSD card, and this image is NOT accessible for installation of any other software. In nutshell an RPi dedicated to ElectroSence, cannot be used for anything else.

When it comes to software, we provide a pre-configured image. At the moment there is no possibility to set it up with WiFi, so you need to connect the device over ethernet. However, that's all you need to do. We will take care of the measurements and all updates!
        Spectrum sensing is a quite resource-intensive task such that your Raspberry Pi will be busy and it is not recommended to use it for other tasks. For this reason, our image does not allow user login on the device.

https://electrosense.org/app.html#!/join >> Scroll down and click on tab "Build Your Own Sensor"
        Last edited by abcd567; 2018-12-17, 19:31.

Comment

Working...
        X