Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Statistics data: max range equals average range

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by MacchiaNera View Post
    Hi, i have just seen that T-EDDK145 has 349 as max range and 349 as average range.
    I entered it's data page and i see in the histogram that the current received distance max contacts is around 50~100 nm.
    So how can the average range be equal to the max range?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scroggie View Post
    Another thing I find intriguing. Currently worldwide, 717 radars have a maximum range of 349nm. not one of 350 or 351 or 353. The radio horizon to an aircraft at 45000 feet (not many are) from my location with a clear view to the northeast is 295nm. To get a range of 349nm I would need to be at 40,000 feet to receive a signal from an aircraft also at that height. I do get distances of 348 or 349nm on a few days each month but I suspect data errors somewhere. I don't say it's IMPOSSIBLE to receive from that distance, there's always the possibility of tropospheric ducting increasing range but 349nm every day with no variations over time just doesn't look right.
    Those users choose on map a fake location for their site, far away from the real location (like 250-300 miles away), to improve the stats on the website.
    I did that as an experiment and it worked... added a Windows feeder, grabbing the same data from the actual Pi feeder. MLAT is deactivated on Windows by default.
    It improved the position of that radar on the stats page, when compared to the actual site (Pi3), after 30 days of non-stop feeding. Now I have stopped using it.
    Last edited by SoNic67; 2019-01-01 at 13:38.

First officer
    SoNic67
    That may be how you choose to screw the system, but don’t assume that everyone cheats like you, I quite often show a max range of 349 (currently only 346) and my position is accurate to within 10meters and always has been (this is a genuine FR24 box with GPS and is accurately positioned on the map)
    Such ranges are quite possible WITHOUT any cheating.
    So please don’t tar all honest feeders with your dirty brush!

Quote Originally Posted by SoNic67 View Post
    Those users choose on map a fake location for their site, far away from the real location (like 250-300 miles away), to improve the stats on the website.
    I did that as an experiment and it worked... added a Windows feeder, grabbing the same data from the actual Pi feeder. MLAT is deactivated on Windows by default.
    It improved the position of that radar on the stats page, when compared to the actual site (Pi3), after 30 days of non-stop feeding. Now I have stopped using it.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Passenger
    Quote Originally Posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
    SoNic67
    That may be how you choose to screw the system, but don’t assume that everyone cheats like you, I quite often show a max range of 349 (currently only 346) and my position is accurate to within 10meters and always has been (this is a genuine FR24 box with GPS and is accurately positioned on the map)
    Such ranges are quite possible WITHOUT any cheating.
    So please don’t tar all honest feeders with your dirty brush!
    I don't cheat. I just investigated my theory - that's VERY easy to cheat the stats. And the loophole affecting everyone that has real results, that's just a fact of life.
    This is mainly because the stats have no info about MLAT being turned off, but also the calculation of the "distances" is very simplistic. I have posted a while back about this, but I guess nobody cares.

And BTW, you are nowhere close to those range numbers: https://www.flightradar24.com/accoun...stats/?id=4114
    231 miles? Way to go to the 349 miles discussed here.
    Myself I am at 208 miles with the "correct" location and MLAT turned ON.
    Last edited by SoNic67; 2019-01-01 at 16:44.

First officer
    And there was me thinking you were talking about the 30day stats rather than the last 24 hours,
    “562 F-EGLF1 Ben64 United KingdomUnited Kingdom 10,738 718 346 203”
    As you see 30day rolling average 346! (Without “faking” it!)

And BTW, you are nowhere close to those range numbers: https://www.flightradar24.com/accoun...stats/?id=4114
    231 miles? Way to go to the 349 miles discussed here.
    Myself I am at 208 miles with the "correct" location and MLAT turned ON.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Passenger
    Sure, if you say so, it must be true.

You will excuse me to think the stats mean nothing since they are so easy to fake... and they most likely are for many receivers that hit hard on that 349 limit.
    I blame FR24 here, for not being interested in making this more relevant.

Passenger
    Sure, if you say so, it must be true.

You will excuse me to think the stats mean nothing since they are so easy to fake... and they most likely are for many receivers that hit hard on that 349 limit.
    I blame FR24 here, for not being interested in making this more relevant.
    Sorry but, you are wrong. First, it is pointless to cheat the stats page as there is no gain with it, is not like fr24 will offer some kind of rewards for the top radars…

Secondly, 349nm is possible for a radar that has a view of the horizon, specially at night when radio waves are more likely to rebound on the ionosphere.

Check out my 2 radars that have view to the horizon: F-LPMA9 and T-LPPS1 both have a max range of 349nm

If a radar have a 360 degree view of the horizon and it is high enough, the average range will most likely be 349nm (if there are aircrafts on all the directions)

Captain
    It is also important to mention that most likely the "average range" is just the average of the maximum ranges in each direction.

So if the max range is the same in all directions, average range and max range will be equal.
    Otherwise the average range doesn't make any sense.

For example my average range is 134 and checking around the compass the ranges for yesterday my ranges are:
    (125+141+114+58+103+192+185+152)/8 = 133.5

So this would be a large coincidence if it weren't the calculation used.