Statistics data: max range equals average range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Statistics data: max range equals average range

Hi, i have just seen that T-EDDK145 has 349 as max range and 349 as average range.
    I entered it's data page and i see in the histogram that the current received distance max contacts is around 50~100 nm.
    So how can the average range be equal to the max range?

Thanks for aswer.
    Fabrizio

I believe average range is a result of the max range recorded each day for 30 days and then divided by 30.

Example:

Day 1: Max range recorded: 300nm
    Day 2: Max range recorded: 200nm
    Day 3: Max range recorded: 200nm
    Day 4: Max range recorded: 250nm
    Day 5: Max range recorded: 200nm

Average range of these 5 days: 230nm

I'm not 100% certain on this tho… Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Comment

I too am a bit suspicious of some of the stats. I have had my maximum range hit the magic 349 nm mark but struggle to get the average over 210. I suppose if there are large numbers of flights going directly over ones receiver then that average must be lowered and there is nothing that can be done about it.
      Today I saw these feeders stats (I won't name it but its in the UK as I am) which has a very high Aircraft Seen number. I don't see how it can be correct. Compare these 2 screen shots:-
      High aircraft numbers.JPG

and mine on a good day:-
      My aircraft.JPG

I wonder if there are bugs in the FR24 database

Comment

If anyone is not confident of FR24 stats, AND is using RPi to feed FR24, he/she can have his own stats generated locally on RPi. Follow the method given in the thread below.

NOTE:
        (1) When the script "install.sh" is run, it will offer lot of options to install so many things. Keep on saying NO to all till at the end it will offer WEB PORTAL. Accept Web Portal, and Performance Graphs (which are included in web portal) will be installed.

(2) When you choose Web Portal, it will offer "Advance Options". Say NO to it, else it will install a database which will continously save all flight data, filling your microSD card in due course, and will also shorten its life due to continous writes.

Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs

Monthly Max Range Graph
        dump1090-localhost-range_imperial_nautical-30d.png

It has buttons for displaying 6hrs, daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly graphs.
        Web Portal Graphs Page.jpg

Last edited by abcd567; 2018-12-16, 17:05.

Comment

Interesting though that all the radars at the top of the list are seeing less than 5000 aircraft a day and most of us are getting in the mid 2000's to see one with entries of 37,000 aircraft per day but with only 360,000 positions - something not right there.

Comment

Another thing I find intriguing. Currently worldwide, 717 radars have a maximum range of 349nm. not one of 350 or 351 or 353. The radio horizon to an aircraft at 45000 feet (not many are) from my location with a clear view to the northeast is 295nm. To get a range of 349nm I would need to be at 40,000 feet to receive a signal from an aircraft also at that height. I do get distances of 348 or 349nm on a few days each month but I suspect data errors somewhere. I don't say it's IMPOSSIBLE to receive from that distance, there's always the possibility of tropospheric ducting increasing range but 349nm every day with no variations over time just doesn't look right.

Comment

You won’t ever see ranges of more than 349nm on FR24 as the software has that figure as a hard limit and cuts anything above this down to 349, however it appears that they use the higher figures when calculating the average (which is also capped at 349nm)

Originally posted by Scroggie View Post
              Another thing I find intriguing. Currently worldwide, 717 radars have a maximum range of 349nm. not one of 350 or 351 or 353. The radio horizon to an aircraft at 45000 feet (not many are) from my location with a clear view to the northeast is 295nm. To get a range of 349nm I would need to be at 40,000 feet to receive a signal from an aircraft also at that height. I do get distances of 348 or 349nm on a few days each month but I suspect data errors somewhere. I don't say it's IMPOSSIBLE to receive from that distance, there's always the possibility of tropospheric ducting increasing range but 349nm every day with no variations over time just doesn't look right.
              Last edited by F-EGLF1; 2018-12-30, 15:20.
              FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Originally posted by MacchiaNera View Post
                Hi, i have just seen that T-EDDK145 has 349 as max range and 349 as average range.
                I entered it's data page and i see in the histogram that the current received distance max contacts is around 50~100 nm.

Thanks for aswer.
                Fabrizio
                Hi Fabrizio!

On my opinion FR24's Avg Range calculation is simplier then we believe. I think this calculation based on polar plot data, not on histogram's data.
                I collected my last 30 days FR24 statistics and entered the Polar plot data into an Excel tablet. With the range of 8 directions it calculated a daily and 30 days average range and the result is same as I can see in FR24 Global statistics.
                As I think, this is the reason why are in some cases very similar the max range and average range. If the antenna can recieve ADS-B signals very well (nearly to max 349 NM) in all direction, then the max and average distance are almost equal. When distances are less,(in one or more direction) the difference is greater because in FR24 Global Statistics we can see the highest range of last 30 days, not the average max range of 30 days.
                Please check it!

stat.jpg

Comment

Thanks for aswer.
                  Fabrizio
                  Hi Fabrizio!

On my opinion FR24's Avg Range calculation is simplier then we believe. I think this calculation based on polar plot data, not on histogram's data.
                  I collected my last 30 days FR24 statistics and entered the Polar plot data into an Excel tablet. With the range of 8 directions it calculated a daily and 30 days average range and the result is same as I can see in FR24 Global statistics.
                  As I think, this is the reason why are in some cases very similar the max range and average range. If the antenna can recieve ADS-B signals very well (nearly to max 349 NM) in all direction, then the max and average distance are almost equal. When distances are less,(in one or more direction) the difference is greater because in FR24 Global Statistics we can see the highest range of last 30 days, not the average max range of 30 days.
                  Please check it!

stat.jpg

Comment

This seems a bit strange too:-
                    T-EGMD4.JPG
                    Over 30,000 aircraft in a day? The best I've seen in 24 hours has been just over a tenth of that!

Comment

Originally posted by Scroggie View Post
                      Those users choose on map a fake location for their site, far away from the real location (like 250-300 miles away), to improve the stats on the website.
                      I did that as an experiment and it worked... added a Windows feeder, grabbing the same data from the actual Pi feeder. MLAT is deactivated on Windows by default.
                      It improved the position of that radar on the stats page, when compared to the actual site (Pi3), after 30 days of non-stop feeding. Now I have stopped using it.
                      Last edited by SoNic67; 2019-01-01, 13:38.

Comment

SoNic67
                        That may be how you choose to screw the system, but don’t assume that everyone cheats like you, I quite often show a max range of 349 (currently only 346) and my position is accurate to within 10meters and always has been (this is a genuine FR24 box with GPS and is accurately positioned on the map)
                        Such ranges are quite possible WITHOUT any cheating.
                        So please don’t tar all honest feeders with your dirty brush!

Originally posted by SoNic67 View Post
                        Those users choose on map a fake location for their site, far away from the real location (like 250-300 miles away), to improve the stats on the website.
                        I did that as an experiment and it worked... added a Windows feeder, grabbing the same data from the actual Pi feeder. MLAT is deactivated on Windows by default.
                        It improved the position of that radar on the stats page, when compared to the actual site (Pi3), after 30 days of non-stop feeding. Now I have stopped using it.
                        FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
                          SoNic67
                          That may be how you choose to screw the system, but don’t assume that everyone cheats like you, I quite often show a max range of 349 (currently only 346) and my position is accurate to within 10meters and always has been (this is a genuine FR24 box with GPS and is accurately positioned on the map)
                          Such ranges are quite possible WITHOUT any cheating.
                          So please don’t tar all honest feeders with your dirty brush!
                          I don't cheat. I just investigated my theory - that's VERY easy to cheat the stats. And the loophole affecting everyone that has real results, that's just a fact of life.
                          This is mainly because the stats have no info about MLAT being turned off, but also the calculation of the "distances" is very simplistic. I have posted a while back about this, but I guess nobody cares.

And BTW, you are nowhere close to those range numbers: https://www.flightradar24.com/accoun...stats/?id=4114
                          231 miles? Way to go to the 349 miles discussed here.
                          Myself I am at 208 miles with the "correct" location and MLAT turned ON.
                          Last edited by SoNic67; 2019-01-01, 16:44.

Comment

And there was me thinking you were talking about the 30day stats rather than the last 24 hours,
                            “562 F-EGLF1 Ben64 United KingdomUnited Kingdom 10,738 718 346 203”
                            As you see 30day rolling average 346! (Without “faking” it!)

Originally posted by SoNic67 View Post
                            And BTW, you are nowhere close to those range numbers: https://www.flightradar24.com/accoun...stats/?id=4114
                            231 miles? Way to go to the 349 miles discussed here.
                            Myself I am at 208 miles with the "correct" location and MLAT turned ON.

Comment

Sure, if you say so, it must be true.

You will excuse me to think the stats mean nothing since they are so easy to fake... and they most likely are for many receivers that hit hard on that 349 limit.
                              I blame FR24 here, for not being interested in making this more relevant.

Comment

Working...
                              X