Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Map of radar sites

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    The system has got to the point where it is practically impossible to restrict who receives it. The voluntary efforts of various servers probably appeases any potential complaints from military/police/rich wankers.
    I have no problem with law enforcement flights and many aspects of military operations being blocked but it not just "rich wankers" with corporate jets who like to hide where private aircraft are going. Here in Australia there is an outfit that operates a fleet of old Saab and Metroliner planes on both charter and regular public transport ie airline operations. All their flights are completely blocked on Flight Aware and only show up on FR24 as a trail with the aircraft type as a callsign - just like corporate jets.

If they have some reason to block public viewing of charter ops then OK but in a country where ADSB is mandated for all aircraft operating under IFR and even small charter outfits operating Cessnas can be tracked by the public then I think people who have bought a ticket on such an airline are entitled to expect, for instance, that the person picking them up at the other end might be able to check progress of the flight on their phone.

Purser
    Something to ask Flightaware about perhaps?

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by airnrail View Post
    I have no problem with law enforcement flights and many aspects of military operations being blocked but it not just "rich wankers" with corporate jets who like to hide where private aircraft are going. Here in Australia there is an outfit that operates a fleet of old Saab and Metroliner planes on both charter and regular public transport ie airline operations. All their flights are completely blocked on Flight Aware and only show up on FR24 as a trail with the aircraft type as a callsign - just like corporate jets.

If they have some reason to block public viewing of charter ops then OK but in a country where ADSB is mandated for all aircraft operating under IFR and even small charter outfits operating Cessnas can be tracked by the public then I think people who have bought a ticket on such an airline are entitled to expect, for instance, that the person picking them up at the other end might be able to check progress of the flight on their phone.
    Given there are any number of sites providing un-filtered information it all seems rather pointless. You can add to your list the various companies engaged in Aerial Survey work, the Search and Rescue CL60"s, the jets operated by Care Flight and there is the C182 in NSW which changes its Mode S code when it wants to be visible.