Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Map of radar sites

  1. #1
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    2

    Map of radar sites

    Hi is there a map of FR24 receiver site locations please?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    First officer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Aldershot, Hampshire. UK
    Posts
    253
    No, and there never will be, such a map would breach privacy laws in several European countries, the best you can hope for is one with the positions randomised to +-10km or so.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

  3. #3
    Captain Anmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,309
    Quote Originally Posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
    such a map would breach privacy laws in several European countries
    Why would it? What "privacy" is at risk?
    Mike


    www.radarspotting.com

    Radarspotting since 2005

  4. #4
    First officer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Aldershot, Hampshire. UK
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by Anmer View Post
    Why would it? What "privacy" is at risk?
    Try asking the Germans that, they are paranoid over such things.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

  5. #5
    Captain Anmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,309
    Quote Originally Posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
    Try asking the Germans that, they are paranoid over such things.
    Maybe but such maps exist for other flight tracking services. Paranoia's not the same a breaching "privacy laws".
    Mike


    www.radarspotting.com

    Radarspotting since 2005

  6. #6
    Purser
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    114
    More relevant than privacy laws is laws regarding the reception of radio transmissions. Unless the UK laws have changed markedly, to receive transmissions is fine, but to relay (divulge the contents) of those to another is a breach of the radio legislation. There's something to ponder......

  7. #7
    Captain Anmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth View Post
    More relevant than privacy laws is laws regarding the reception of radio transmissions. Unless the UK laws have changed markedly, to receive transmissions is fine, but to relay (divulge the contents) of those to another is a breach of the radio legislation. There's something to ponder......
    That's the answer Kinetic used to come up with whenever it was asked why it had abandoned its data sharing option is BaseStation. Back in 2006!

    I'm 100% sure UK authorities are well aware of Mode-S data being "relayed" and by whom.
    Mike


    www.radarspotting.com

    Radarspotting since 2005

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    T-NZCH1, PP:PH New Zealand
    Posts
    4,297
    Here we have similar, worded to the effect of 'to which you are not the intended recipient'

    What gets it across the line, is such things as a 'broadcast' (TCAS avoidance) is intended for multiple varied recipients.

    Wouldn't be an issue if there was an opt-in capability to please those who do not want to (and block countries where it would be seen as a loss of rights/public privacy breech). But I suspect the consideration to spend time coding for it is very low priority.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

  9. #9
    Purser
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Anmer View Post
    That's the answer Kinetic used to come up with whenever it was asked why it had abandoned its data sharing option is BaseStation. Back in 2006!

    I'm 100% sure UK authorities are well aware of Mode-S data being "relayed" and by whom.
    Pretty much irrelevant now, for as far as I know they haven't prosecuted anyone for divulging the contents of messages for many years, if at all. I doubt that any attempt would be regarded as incompetent and wouldn't make it to court. Just mentioned it in the sense of pointless legislation.

  10. #10
    Purser
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by Oblivian View Post
    Here we have similar, worded to the effect of 'to which you are not the intended recipient'

    What gets it across the line, is such things as a 'broadcast' (TCAS avoidance) is intended for multiple varied recipients.

    Wouldn't be an issue if there was an opt-in capability to please those who do not want to (and block countries where it would be seen as a loss of rights/public privacy breech). But I suspect the consideration to spend time coding for it is very low priority.
    The system has got to the point where it is practically impossible to restrict who receives it. The voluntary efforts of various servers probably appeases any potential complaints from military/police/rich wankers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •