Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Use own NTP server

Hello,

I am feeding with Raspberry. And I am running my own NTP server.
    Is there a way, to tell the feeding software to use my own NTP?

Thank you
    g.

Hi, don't think there's a way of configuring the client directly, but you can override easily by adding a line to /etc/hosts:

For FR24:

Code:
    <IP address of your NTP server> 1.africa.pool.ntp.org 1.asia.pool.ntp.org 1.europe.pool.ntp.org 1.north-america.pool.ntp.org 1.oceania.pool.ntp.org 1.south-america.pool.ntp.org
    As far as I can tell the FR24 client only uses IPv4. (Don't ask why the client looks up NTP from all continents. I think someone misunderstood how pool.ntp.org works... )

If you're running Planefinder this will redirect those too:
    Code:
    <IP address of your NTP server> 0.planefinder.pool.ntp.org 1.planefinder.pool.ntp.org 2.planefinder.pool.ntp.org 3.planefinder.pool.ntp.org

Comment

Why does FR24 spam the NTP pool with queries for servers all over the world instead of nearby? That's not a proper use of the NTP pool (I'm a member/operator) and its a poor way to get accurate time.

The correct way is to let the pool geo-locate the query and direct it to a nearby server using
      Code:
      0.pool.ntp.org, 1.pool.ntp.org, 2.pool.ntp.org

The best practice would be for FlightRadar24 to setup a vendor zone with the NTP Pool to manage queries from FR24 receivers.

My FR24 receiver comes with a GPS antenna, so why is it querying the NTP Pool at all?

Comment

There has been a very long thread about the topic with people complaining.
        (I have just modified my hosts file redirecting queried addresses to localhost so my receiver doesn't spam the pools)
        (Oh you can't do that because you can't access the box huh?)

Maybe write their support for provided receivers an email, doubt you will get an answer here.

Comment

Thanks, I'll write their support.

Comment

Working...
          X