Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion about Flightradar24 database

Discussion about Flightradar24 database

If you want to discuss posts or data in
    https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...craft-database
    or
    https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...craft-database
    feel free to discuss here instead of the threads above.

Super Moderator
    I note a lot of users also 'guessing' ICAO airline codes based on their name

Wrong wrong WRONG.

There appears to be no official search page like the aircraft type verification - https://www.icao.int/publications/DO...es/Search.aspx

The closest comprehensive lookup/list (also, user contributed so may contain errors) - http://www.avcodes.co.uk/airlcodesearch.asp

This does not include localised administration approved callsigns as these may conflict with international approved/established codes

I believe FR24 can use these if evidence provided
    For instance in New Zealand: https://www.caa.govt.nz/assets/legac...oved_Signs.pdf
    SDA = Sounds Air
    Full Name: Sounds Air Travel & Tourism Ltd.
    IATA Code: S8
    ICAO Code:
    ICAO Callsign:
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Captain
    When are you going to set the correct icons for the types? You have literally hundreds of different types in the database that are set to the UNID icon. 4 that I can see at the moment : T38, M600, HDJT and SF50. These are just 4 out of hundreds, maybe even thousands. You already have the icon shapes on file so how hard is it to copy and paste them across?

The fat icon should be reserved solely for UNID frames so that those of us that like to try to tie them up can spot them easily. Trying to do this in the USA when 50% of all icons are fat icons makes this annoying.
    Last edited by rik130; 2018-11-13 at 16:11.

Captain
    Following on from Rik130 comment which nobody answered.

We can't just set or update an icon. Correct icon is set based on the ICAO Type code. When correct ICAO Type code has been provided, the icon will be correct.

So from the above statement (first page of new additions) your ICAO type to icon matrix/data table (what ever you use) is out of date by year(s)

Is there any intention to update it? You have managed to update some types e.g. A339, A337 and A338 for example, when there are only a handful of examples currently flying compared to HDJT etc...

Notice I asked nicely no need for mods to delete

Purser
    I agree with the two previous posters. Is anybody at FR24 working on connecting ICAO type designators to icons? There are probably a few 100 that are missing.
    Maybe I could do it?

Captain
    Can someone explain how registrations only are added to the DB?

I have noticed that just registrations no other details are being added to the dB. These are not ones from registers, such as Germany or France where you can work out the reg from the hex or a mass import such as from the FAA.

When the reg is added to the DB how do you know they are correct? Are they just being taken from the callsign which implies they are correct?

Not a complaint just asking, its actually quite a good idea providing that correct details are picked up.

Regarding icons. Today there are 2 different sets of icons. One for apps - high-resoluton about 30-35 icons, and one for web - low-resolution about 10-12 icons.
    We are currently porting the app icons to the web so at this point we are not matching any more web icons as they will be discontinued soon.
    Once all platforms are sharing icons we will add ever more icons and improve matching even better.

Quote Originally Posted by apgphoto View Post
    Can someone explain how registrations only are added to the DB?

I have noticed that just registrations no other details are being added to the dB. These are not ones from registers, such as Germany or France where you can work out the reg from the hex or a mass import such as from the FAA.

When the reg is added to the DB how do you know they are correct? Are they just being taken from the callsign which implies they are correct?

Not a complaint just asking, its actually quite a good idea providing that correct details are picked up.
    Currently only US data is imported automatically but we are working on adding more countires for automatic updates. So outside of US all data is added manually today.

Purser
    Thanks for the updates Mike! It makes sense to have one set of icons across all platforms.

Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Currently only US data is imported automatically but we are working on adding more countires for automatic updates. So outside of US all data is added manually today.
    Thanks Mike

If they are manually added then surely its better to add all the details? If the details cant be proved then how do we know the registrations that are being added are correct? I can see errors, registrations have been given to ground vehicles and other real aircraft have incorrect registrations applied (without any other information)

A good example here, one of your guys has recently given a registration to a ground test signal

Capture.JPG

As I said if your team are adding correct registration data, that's good and helpful. But they need to check what they are adding is correct data to start with.

Can we add registration only data if we know it to be correct and the type not known?