No announcement yet.

Antenna, bigger not better?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 'thumb' is in the Nooelec Smartsdr bundle and - apparently - is designed for receiving ADS-B!
    Would you please check my DUMP1090?
    rng.png
    The antenna is outside but NOT on the roof! Seems pretty decent to me!
    Thanks again!
    T-NOOB-001

Comment

As Amazon Italy and Amazon UK have this item out of stock, I now checked at Amazon.com (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WZL6WPO) and entered UK address of a relative as delivery address, and it showed me following. I dont have an Italian address otherwise I will check cost for delivery to Italy also.

Order Summary
      Items: $39.95
      Shipping & handling: $6.32
      Total before tax: $46.27
      Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
      Import Fees Deposit: $9.25
      Order total: $55.52

Comment

F-EGLF1
        This is off-topic, but did you see my today's post about "Gain Setting" from browser OR from map of dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev?

. Last update: March 08, 2022 NOTE: (1) Do NOT install the dump1090-mutability on Pi24 img and Piaware img. Both these images already have their integral dump1090. (2) TO HAVE A TROUBLE FREE INSTALLATION, IT IS REQUIRED TO MAKE A FRESH INSTALL, AS SHOWN BELOW: (a) Format microSD Card (b) Write Raspbian Image. (c) Install

Last edited by abcd567; 2018-10-09, 18:24.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
          F-EGLF1
          This is off-topic, but did you see my today's post about "Gain Setting" from browser or in dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev?

. Last update: March 08, 2022 NOTE: (1) Do NOT install the dump1090-mutability on Pi24 img and Piaware img. Both these images already have their integral dump1090. (2) TO HAVE A TROUBLE FREE INSTALLATION, IT IS REQUIRED TO MAKE A FRESH INSTALL, AS SHOWN BELOW: (a) Format microSD Card (b) Write Raspbian Image. (c) Install

TBH I don’t normally read posts about dump1090-mutability as I don’t use it, my FR feed is from an official box and my PP feed uses the standard 1090, I gave mutability a go some while back but didn’t think it offered any significant advantage to my setup.
          FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
            If you have a spare mating connector (either ‘N’ or SMA) then why not knock up one of the simple spider antennas that abcd567 has published designs for, that will confirm that your cable run is good and should give a significant improvement on the little ‘thumb’ antenna you have.

QUICK SPIDER - No Soldering, No Connector

CANTENNA

SPIDER WITH SO239 CONNECTOR

Comment

Originally posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
              TBH I don’t normally read posts about dump1090-mutability as I don’t use it, my FR feed is from an official box and my PP feed uses the standard 1090, I gave mutability a go some while back but didn’t think it offered any significant advantage to my setup.
              Oh, I did not know that, wrongly assumed that you use RPi/dump1090-mutability, and thought you may be interested.

By the way, I noted that you have a lightning data station "Blitzortung station 878". How is that hobby? Dont have any idea about its details.
              Last edited by abcd567; 2018-10-09, 18:37.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                Oh, I did not know that, wrongly assumed that you use RPi/dump1090-mutability, and thought you may be interested.

By the way, I noted that you have a lightning data station "Blitzortung station 878". How is that hobby? Dont have any idea about its details.
                The only thing I use a RPi for at the moment is for feeding OGN (gliders) And PilotAware, my PP feed is from a small Intel NUC PC running Win-7.
                Blitzortung is probably the thing that got me into the whole tracking thing, it is a worldwide network of lightning detectors designed and built in Germany, it comes as a kit of parts and needs reasonably good soldering skills, it isn’t cheap (around £200 if I recall correctly) and needs a lot of involvement in both antenna design/construction and setting gain/thresholds (quite different antennas to what we use, as it works mostly with the magnetic field rather then the electric field)
                I got into glider tracking almost by accident after I got my FR24 box and ended up learning to fly gliders for real, so now I quite often end up tracking myself!
                FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Working...
                X