Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Antenna, bigger not better?

  1. #11
    Captain abcd567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Toronto CYYZ
    Posts
    2,828
    F-EGLF1
    You are right, a WiFi 2.4 GHz antenna will be hopeless on 1.090 GHz, but still it will not give ZERO reception.

    Cauchee has mentioned in his first post ZERO reception, which gives a doubt about short circuit or open circuit either in cable or antenna.

    Any way it is NOT worth fixing a short/open problem, as the WiFi 2.4 GHz antenna will give a hopeless reception on 1090 MHz even after fixing the defect.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2018-10-09 at 17:36.

  2. #12
    First officer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Aldershot, Hampshire. UK
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    F-EGLF1
    You are right, a WiFi 2.4 GHz antenna will be hopeless on 1.090 GHz, but still it will not give ZERO reception.

    Cauchee has mentioned in his first post ZERO reception, which gives a doubt about short circuit or open circuit either in cable or antenna.
    As we don’t know the specifics of that antenna it is possible it has built in bandpass filters (especially if as he said it came from a high spec setup) if he is in an area with a low number of close aircraft then it is quite possible that he sees nothing, but I agree that he still should see the odd one or 2, however it would perform significantly worse than a random length of wire!
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

  3. #13
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    21
    Can't dismiss the open/short circuit too...
    Tomorrow I'll test cable continuity.
    Antenna specs:
    https://eu.dlink.com/-/media/Busines...heet_EN_UK.pdf
    I'm 15 miles away from FCO airport
    Thank you!
    Last edited by Cauchee; 2018-10-09 at 17:45.
    T-NOOB-001

  4. #14
    Captain abcd567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Toronto CYYZ
    Posts
    2,828
    I use Flightaware antenna.
    It gives me good performance for the Price. In North America (USA & Canada) Shipping is free, but It may be substantial for Europe.

    https://www.amazon.it/dp/B00WZL6WPO

    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00WZL6WPO

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WZL6WPO

  5. #15
    First officer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Aldershot, Hampshire. UK
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Cauchee View Post
    Can't dismiss the open/short circuit too...
    Tomorrow I'll test cable continuity.
    Antenna specs:
    https://eu.dlink.com/-/media/Busines...heet_EN_UK.pdf
    I'm 15 miles away from FCO airport
    Thank you!
    If you have a spare mating connector (either ‘N’ or SMA) then why not knock up one of the simple spider antennas that abcd567 has published designs for, that will confirm that your cable run is good and should give a significant improvement on the little ‘thumb’ antenna you have.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

  6. #16
    Passenger
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    21
    The 'thumb' is in the Nooelec Smartsdr bundle and - apparently - is designed for receiving ADS-B!
    Would you please check my DUMP1090?
    rng.png
    The antenna is outside but NOT on the roof! Seems pretty decent to me!
    Thanks again!
    T-NOOB-001

  7. #17
    Captain abcd567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Toronto CYYZ
    Posts
    2,828
    As Amazon Italy and Amazon UK have this item out of stock, I now checked at Amazon.com (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WZL6WPO) and entered UK address of a relative as delivery address, and it showed me following. I dont have an Italian address otherwise I will check cost for delivery to Italy also.

    Order Summary
    Items: $39.95
    Shipping & handling: $6.32
    Total before tax: $46.27
    Estimated tax to be collected: $0.00
    Import Fees Deposit: $9.25
    Order total: $55.52

  8. #18
    Captain abcd567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Toronto CYYZ
    Posts
    2,828
    F-EGLF1
    This is off-topic, but did you see my today's post about "Gain Setting" from browser OR from map of dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev?

    https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ll=1#post81873

    .
    Last edited by abcd567; 2018-10-09 at 18:24.

  9. #19
    First officer
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Aldershot, Hampshire. UK
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    F-EGLF1
    This is off-topic, but did you see my today's post about "Gain Setting" from browser or in dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev?

    https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ll=1#post81873

    .
    TBH I don’t normally read posts about dump1090-mutability as I don’t use it, my FR feed is from an official box and my PP feed uses the standard 1090, I gave mutability a go some while back but didn’t think it offered any significant advantage to my setup.
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

  10. #20
    Captain abcd567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Toronto CYYZ
    Posts
    2,828
    Quote Originally Posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
    If you have a spare mating connector (either ‘N’ or SMA) then why not knock up one of the simple spider antennas that abcd567 has published designs for, that will confirm that your cable run is good and should give a significant improvement on the little ‘thumb’ antenna you have.

    QUICK SPIDER - No Soldering, No Connector

    CANTENNA

    SPIDER WITH SO239 CONNECTOR

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •