Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antenna, bigger not better?

Quote Originally Posted by F-EGLF1 View Post
    TBH I don’t normally read posts about dump1090-mutability as I don’t use it, my FR feed is from an official box and my PP feed uses the standard 1090, I gave mutability a go some while back but didn’t think it offered any significant advantage to my setup.
    Oh, I did not know that, wrongly assumed that you use RPi/dump1090-mutability, and thought you may be interested.

By the way, I noted that you have a lightning data station "Blitzortung station 878". How is that hobby? Dont have any idea about its details.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2018-10-09 at 18:37.

First officer
    Quote Originally Posted by abcd567 View Post
    Oh, I did not know that, wrongly assumed that you use RPi/dump1090-mutability, and thought you may be interested.

By the way, I noted that you have a lightning data station "Blitzortung station 878". How is that hobby? Dont have any idea about its details.
    The only thing I use a RPi for at the moment is for feeding OGN (gliders) And PilotAware, my PP feed is from a small Intel NUC PC running Win-7.
    Blitzortung is probably the thing that got me into the whole tracking thing, it is a worldwide network of lightning detectors designed and built in Germany, it comes as a kit of parts and needs reasonably good soldering skills, it isn’t cheap (around £200 if I recall correctly) and needs a lot of involvement in both antenna design/construction and setting gain/thresholds (quite different antennas to what we use, as it works mostly with the magnetic field rather then the electric field)
    I got into glider tracking almost by accident after I got my FR24 box and ended up learning to fly gliders for real, so now I quite often end up tracking myself!
    FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.